Reloads, round management, and weapon malfunction

Share suggestions and feedback here.
staropal0972

Re: Reloads, round management, and weapon malfunction

We know this game won't be a complete one-to-one recreation of what exactly the Marines and Soldiers did in Fallujah, people might (will) play the missions a lot less carelessly than those who already are familiar with tactical shooters, or those with experience in actual combat. It needs to punish those who aren't careful with how they play, and should pull no punches in terms of hand holding/difficulty. For example, many for sure are going to have the habit of wasting ammunition all the time, in that case don't give them anymore ammo if they screw up. Let players who mess up face the consequences and learn why what they did was wrong.

It needs to be realistically difficult in order to show a bit of the complexities of real combat, versus something else like COD or Battlefield. SDIF should not be a game for everyone in that it would have a cookie cutter gameplay that blasts tutorials all over your face like many games are doing nowadays and last generation.
BobTank63

staropal0972 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:15 pm We know this game won't be a complete one-to-one recreation of what exactly the Marines and Soldiers did in Fallujah, people might (will) play the missions a lot less carelessly than those who already are familiar with tactical shooters, or those with experience in actual combat. It needs to punish those who aren't careful with how they play, and should pull no punches in terms of hand holding/difficulty. For example, many for sure are going to have the habit of wasting ammunition all the time, in that case don't give them anymore ammo if they screw up. Let players who mess up face the consequences and learn why what they did was wrong.

It needs to be realistically difficult in order to show a bit of the complexities of real combat, versus something else like COD or Battlefield. SDIF should not be a game for everyone in that it would have a cookie cutter gameplay that blasts tutorials all over your face like many games are doing nowadays and last generation.
100% agree with everything you said. Gameplay should punish those who try to play this like COD. However, punishing the player for bad decisions versus punishing them just by RNG are two very different things. One encourages the player to work harder and improve, the other is just frustrating.
Oxide

Posing a question here to everyone: would you find malfunctions frustrating or off-putting? Would you trade convenience for something more authentic but cumbersome?
[/quote]

Myself Id love to have that in the game it would definitely make it more intense especially in coop Im just imagining yelling to my friends to come save me because my m16 jammed, or even in single player it would make your AI teammates even more helpful because they can cover your ass while you fix the game or even save you
staropal0972

Myself Id love to have that in the game it would definitely make it more intense especially in coop Im just imagining yelling to my friends to come save me because my m16 jammed, or even in single player it would make your AI teammates even more helpful because they can cover your ass while you fix the game or even save you

Just so you're aware, the weapon jamming system will be in it, as it was confirmed by Cpt. Read Omohundro and Peter Tamte in an interview with a podcast studio surrounded around military pop culture. Amper is just asking us how much of it would we want, as too much could easily drive away the average console player or people with little to no experience in tactical shooters/milsims.
evan466

Just from a gameplay side, I remember jams would sometimes happen in the old America's Army game. It was so infrequent that you usually couldn't remember how to unjam anything when it finally would happen. My opinion is that it's probably unnecessary unless it's a factor in a lot of the stories related to the team. If this was a game about the early parts of Vietnam then I could definitely see a need showing malfunctions with the M16, but may not fit this setting.
stormycrown22

while jams and malfunctions will be annoying, it is realistic. i think the majority of us would like it, mainly because this is more than a game to most of us. its more of an interactive history book, we want to experience as close as possible what the real soldiers experience. so i would love jams to be a thing
AmperCamper
Community Manager

staropal0972 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:13 pm Just so you're aware, the weapon jamming system will be in it, as it was confirmed by Cpt. Read Omohundro and Peter Tamte in an interview with a podcast studio surrounded around military pop culture. Amper is just asking us how much of it would we want, as too much could easily drive away the average console player or people with little to no experience in tactical shooters/milsims.
Just to clarify, no final decision has be made about weapon jamming. I am definitely gathering as much as I can from you guys on the topic as whole. There's been tons so far that's be useful to us!
staropal0972

AmperCamper wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:37 am
staropal0972 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:13 pm Just so you're aware, the weapon jamming system will be in it, as it was confirmed by Cpt. Read Omohundro and Peter Tamte in an interview with a podcast studio surrounded around military pop culture. Amper is just asking us how much of it would we want, as too much could easily drive away the average console player or people with little to no experience in tactical shooters/milsims.
Just to clarify, no final decision has be made about weapon jamming. I am definitely gathering as much as I can from you guys on the topic as whole. There's been tons so far that's be useful to us!
Hm, it seems like there's a lot of things in general about the game that seem to still be in the works, I hope this game isn't getting any kind of delay will it? I'm hopeful for that though.
Raven

Weapon malfunctions are only unfair if

A: They ONLY apply to the player
B: They apply on each weapon with the same probability (old used weapons should be more affected than newly ones)

It would be very unique and lovely to have different type of malfunctions with different repercussions from simple jamming to well exploding barrels in very rare occasions (old weapons only).

Having different animations (enemies and player alike) that show how they try to fix the malfunctioned weapons or how they deal with the repercussions would also be very nice.
aggimajera

Stoppages and malfunctions are very hit or miss with people. I'm all for any sort of features that create a more methodical approach for the player to discourage the run and gun approach other games encourage. Reloads and weapons stoppages would benefit the experience in slowing the player down and think about their next move. Personally, I find the very possibility of a jam or double feed could be quite useful in accentuating the tension.

However, perhaps some sort of association to human error might be best. Perhaps the farther along you go into a level, after having fired your weapon and moved through outdoor areas repeatedly, applying some CLP to the bolt will help prevent it?
Last edited by aggimajera on Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.