The Personal Armor Thread — Conceptualizations

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
KoishiVibe

The Personal Armor Thread — Conceptualizations

Let's cover something, then. Bulletproof vests, body armor, the what have you.

The year is 2004, and you are equipped with an Interceptor Ballistic Armor system, and two SAPI plates, front and back. The ESAPI is about a year away, as are additional auxiliary armors.

Your head is covered by a ballistic helmet, your lap is guarded by soft armor of about the same class. At the threshold of this building in a city that might've already eaten a few of your brothers in arms, you kick the door in, rifle up-

Some ground concepts:
Light rifle fire 5,56 and 7,62AK will not cause major damage. With regards to force transfer, it seems more like it's psychological at least at this caliber. Studies by government laboratories have concluded you will not take significant blunt trauma from these calibers, though some bruising will probably be possible.

It's 2004 and plates are not as durable as they are today. These are monolithic plates backed up by soft armor, tested for three hits of 7,62x51mm though most likely capable of more. They're also vital organs protection; the job is to get you back into that helicopter or humvee without a sucking chest wound or two.

Proposals for implementation:
None of these are required to go together; think of them as spitballing conceptuals rather than a unified concept.

[] The tempdamage/armor damage system. This one is a little bit more... arcadey, but bear with me.
Simplifying the pain factor and temporary psychological shock, a hit to the bodypart covered by armor will inflict armor damage, but also some temporary health damage that regenerates. This temp damage can be used to abstract blunt harm or pain.

[] Randomized armor damage, within a set range combined with decaying armor protection chance.
Ammunition has a set damage and damage range, abstracting how certain impact angles, impact dispersions, and impact areas can cause different levels of crack propagation. In addition, the more damage your armor eats up, the more likely you are to suffer a penetrating hit. The first shot, 100% protection chance. The next, maybe 98%. The decay curve can be as steep or as shallow as is immersive.
This could tie in with weapon penetration values that might modify these numbers.

[] Hijack the barrier penetration code.
Another way of doing this would be to put two hitboxes of level geometry as plates. Presumably it would be a custom material so as to avoid unexpected behaviors. This may not be technically feasible depending on how the game is set up internally.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: The Personal Armor Thread — Conceptualizations

KoishiVibe wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:36 pm Proposals for implementation:
None of these are required to go together; think of them as spitballing conceptuals rather than a unified concept.
Welcome to the forums, and a big thanks for your thoughts on these systems! We haven't shared much on our health, medical, and damage systems outside of the fact that health does not regenerate (we're still planning on a deeper dive). There are some interesting takes here that I'll pass to the team.

As always, we welcome more comments and feedback on this.
Mudroc0311

KoishiVibe wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:36 pm It's 2004 and plates are not as durable as they are today. These are monolithic plates backed up by soft armor, tested for three hits of 7,62x51mm
In 2004 our SAPI plates only stopped 5.56. We didn't receive the new SAPI plates that stopped 7.62 armor piercing rounds until 2005.
aggimajera

Mudroc0311 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:26 am
KoishiVibe wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:36 pm It's 2004 and plates are not as durable as they are today. These are monolithic plates backed up by soft armor, tested for three hits of 7,62x51mm
In 2004 our SAPI plates only stopped 5.56. We didn't receive the new SAPI plates that stopped 7.62 armor piercing rounds until 2005.
They didn't issue you guys plates that would stop one the most common rifle round calibers in non-NATO weaponry until 2005?

What was the attitude about that among the 03's? Were guys pissed since AKM's were still so popular?
Mudroc0311

aggimajera wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:26 pm
They didn't issue you guys plates that would stop one the most common rifle round calibers in non-NATO weaponry until 2005?

What was the attitude about that among the 03's? Were guys pissed since AKM's were still so popular?
[/quote]

Nope, at least not in my unit. It could be different for the others.

I overheard one time a salty Corporal saying "at least I won't die to friendly fire."

We were always pissed for different reasons. But, I can't say I recall ever being pissed off because of what we were being shot at with. Just the fact that someone wants to shoot you and your brothers pisses you off enough.
TacticalJunkie

Mudroc0311 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:11 pm

I overheard one time a salty Corporal saying "at least I won't die to friendly fire."

We were always pissed for different reasons. But, I can't say I recall ever being pissed off because of what we were being shot at with. Just the fact that someone wants to shoot you and your brothers pisses you off enough.
[/quote]

Ahh yes. I remember this! One fateful day marines had a talk with the Insurgents and had a serious discussion about how they felt they deserved to be shot at with something more deserving instead of soviet left-overs, something similar to a Desert Eagle or a Golden Plated AK. Which later turned into discussing that perhaps in the future, an insurgent could show up with a machine gun mounted on a lambo.
aggimajera

TacticalJunkie wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:02 pm
Mudroc0311 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:11 pm

Ahh yes. I remember this! One fateful day marines had a talk with the Insurgents and had a serious discussion about how they felt they deserved to be shot at with something more deserving instead of soviet left-overs, something similar to a Desert Eagle or a Golden Plated AK. Which later turned into discussing that perhaps in the future, an insurgent could show up with a machine gun mounted on a lambo.
[/quote]

I think what I wrote came across wrong. Lemme try again.

Was the fact that the insurgents were armed with most likely 7.62 capable arms while you were fitted with 5.56 stopping plates a source of ire to anyone.
Mudroc0311

No not that I recall. I was a pointman and a DM and never once did it cross my mind that my SAPI won't stop the caliber of rounds our enemies were using.

When you're first in the stack your mind isn't thinking about your short comings rather, your mind is on speed, surprise, and violence of action.
krzy

Mudroc0311 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:26 am

Point of order: 7,62x39mm PS (AK cartridge with regular steel core bullet) is not 7,62x51mm NATO/M80. Anything that stops 5,56x45 NATO/SS109/M855 will also stop M43 PS.

It's just that US armor certification standards don't really mention 7,62x39 PS, but the BZ variant with armor-piercing incendiary bullet (which is a rare item, and was not part of Soviet/Warsaw Pact standard infantry ammo loadout).
KoishiVibe

hi i forgor i was here for like two weeks.
Mudroc0311 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:26 am In 2004 our SAPI plates only stopped 5.56. We didn't receive the new SAPI plates that stopped 7.62 armor piercing rounds until 2005.
the old SAPI was 5,56 and 7,62x39mm capable, as well as 7,62x51mm M80 capable. x54mmR got questionable at short range (PKM, SVD)
wrt ap, this threat never materialized in the middle east.

its actually why we got the XSAPI, to go off on a tangent.