Hello Forum posters!

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
TacticalJunkie

Hello Forum posters!

I'm hoping this game starts an entire new genre in the game industry. I think video games can really provide quality information similar to documentaries but do it even better (if done right of course). I hope this game succeeds and can prove that video games in regards to serious delicate topics like conflict are just as special as documentaries. I would love for it one day, where you can site a video game as a source for information. Maybe even one day a teacher/professor assigns a video game to be completed a long with a lesson.

I would love to hear everyone's opinions and thoughts
for example:
  • What do you want from this game?
  • what are you skeptical about or what could improve?
  • what do you like already!
If a dev sees this:

What do you want the game industry or players to get from this experience, and do you think a genre like this could become mainstream?
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: Hello Forum posters!

It's great to see you posting, Junkie!
TacticalJunkie wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:02 pm If a dev sees this:

What do you want the game industry or players to get from this experience, and do you think a genre like this could become mainstream?
We want to share the many, many real-world stories that aren't being told elsewhere. We want to offer players a sense of what it was like to participate in urban combat. And, we want video games to be far more than what they are today. We are navigating through uncharted territory with a monumental task ahead of us, but the support we've seen so far from everyone in the community is telling of a potential industry where Six Days can exist (and have real impact).
aggimajera

What do you want from this game?
To see a mature, respectful take on the Iraq War in video game format. I want this game to be seen as a gateway for similar projects to take the glory out of how we as Americans perceive combat.

What are you skeptical about or what could improve?
Based on what we have seen so far the animation is in need of serious work. Both for the guns in hand and the character models. I hope for the devs to remove the rigidity of the movements, free up the arms and weapons to move more naturally, and make the player feel more like a human and not a camera with a gun.

What do you like already
The procedural architecture is a huge selling point here. No other game I can think of attempted something on this scale before and its stunning how they're managing to make it work. It's an amazing technical feat and I applaud the developers.
BadKarma

All good responses here, eventually videogame makers are going to have to realize if they want to keep being high-tech toy makers or if they want to keep pushing the boundaries and venture into unknown territory, just as Peter Tamte said.
Kean_1

TacticalJunkie wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:02 pm
  • What do you want from this game?
An authentic, team-based, small unit, tactical, military shooter experience which has been sorely lacking on console for many years.
  • what are you skeptical about or what could improve?
Still too early to tell IMO as there are still details I am unsure of but as it stands now, it looks like it's progressing the way I had hoped it would.
  • what do you like already!
The procedurally generated game world (city) is probably what I am most excited about as it should provide the potential for unlimited replayability. The co-op is also what I (and my friends) are interested in as well. To be honest, this is where I think the game will really shine as it provides an opportunity to really communicate, move, etc. as a team. ....and in SDiF it appears that good tactics / teamwork will be rewarded while cowboy antics will not.

The historical aspects of SDiF are certainly intriguing to me (being someone who takes an interest in military history, firearms, etc.), but the fact is that it is also still a game that is made for entertainment purposes which I (personally) don't have a problem with. It's not the first shooter to place players in historical theaters, battles, etc. and certainly won't be the last. I actually think this medium is a great way to explore historical periods and events. Again, as someone who has an interest in such things, seeing how the devs integrated the weapons and tech of the period is kinda cool. Even the vets among us (although being a little older like me) are super excited for this game for the same reasons. ......it's good stuff.
BadKarma

What I want from this game: I want it to be a respectful way to tell the stories of the people there, what I'd find disrespectful is doing something like Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway did, constantly telling the players that war is bad, but then having slow-mo bullet cam and sensational gore.

I've been revisiting the older games I had in my backlog and I feel when it came to "you are contributing to the war effort but in the end you are just part of a major event" are the first Call of Duty + United Offensive + COD 2 + COD 4, since these have a good enough baseline of respect for the individual soldier, you just don't feel like a one man army that Medal of Honor liked to portray and is why I think COD 1 + UO + COD 2 are the best WW2 games ever made. There is a reason why the tagline for the first game was "No one fights alone." Granted, I'm sure 6DIF will have similar gameplay principles that will be compelling and perfectly enjoyable.

On the topic of wars, to my understanding, there is not a single Vietnam game, atleast single player that does that war justice, only decent one is Rising Storm 2 but that is multiplayer only.
Kean_1

BadKarma wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:35 am What I want from this game:
On the topic of wars, to my understanding, there is not a single Vietnam game, atleast single player that does that war justice, only decent one is Rising Storm 2 but that is multiplayer only.
......Seal Team released in the early 90s comes to mind but I'm an old dude. Can't really think of any others though.

If SDiF is a success then maybe the team would be willing to explore other theaters / historical wars / battles as well. An immersive, well told story set in Vietnam would certainly be welcome in my book.

Perhaps Korea as another that gets overlooked in games.

On a side note, I did have a lot of fun in Battlefield Vietnam as I recall but there was no campaign that I remember.
aggimajera

BadKarma wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:35 am What I want from this game: I want it to be a respectful way to tell the stories of the people there, what I'd find disrespectful is doing something like Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway did, constantly telling the players that war is bad, but then having slow-mo bullet cam and sensational gore.

I've been revisiting the older games I had in my backlog and I feel when it came to "you are contributing to the war effort but in the end you are just part of a major event" are the first Call of Duty + United Offensive + COD 2 + COD 4, since these have a good enough baseline of respect for the individual soldier, you just don't feel like a one man army that Medal of Honor liked to portray and is why I think COD 1 + UO + COD 2 are the best WW2 games ever made. There is a reason why the tagline for the first game was "No one fights alone." Granted, I'm sure 6DIF will have similar gameplay principles that will be compelling and perfectly enjoyable.

Part of me consistently wishes that Highwire repurposed the concept into a game about the Battle of Hue. Its has all the makings of what this game is attempting to do, and is a far worse urban battle than anything anyone in the United States has faced since.

That said, Fallujah is an excellent setting to discuss the cost of war to everyone involved. Even though I was a Marine grunt, I have no idea how I'd react to combat there. Mad respect to those who went in there.

To Kean's point though, Korea is fertile ground. Like nobody wants to touch it and I'm sure I do not know why. It was such a mess and is the only war with direct confrontation between the PRC and USA. Seoul was a major hot point for Urban Warfare, and a lot of lessons were learned there that became useful in Vietnam a decade later. Personally, I'd like to see something about the Chosin Reservoir.
Tazzadar3

BadKarma wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:35 am
The first "Shellshock" was really good at showing the horrors of the Vietnam war, like showing soldiers being impaled by punji traps. Granted that is a much older game from the PS2 era and was also on PC but you may have a hard time finding a way of actually playing it. I have been looking for years.
TacticalJunkie

Nice to see a little convo happened while i was gone!