Optimization

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
munchuh

Optimization

Hey there! The thought had come to my mind a moment ago while watching Black Hawk Down, lol.

Does the team have a general idea on the expected framerate on certain hw types? I know it's a bit early to be certain, but a guess is good enough.

For example, my build is a RX6600, Ryzen 5 5600x, 64GB 4000MHz CL18 RAM, and in Squad, I get about 70-90 (albeit Squad is potato leagues of optimization), Insurgency Sandstorm about 140+ (varies a lot by map, but that's the avg gamewide), and Hell Let Loose about 50-75 (potato leagues optimization).

While graphics are great, as this is going to be a first person shooter, frame rate is really important to me, and I am mostly curious as the last footage drop looked quite smooth.

Once again, I am well aware that this information can't just be pulled out of a magic hat, just looking for more of the team's goal, than a promise.

I feel like optimization has been really forgotten in the milsim genre and it pushes a lot of users away. It's important to note as a lot of people don't understand this, optimization isn't making games run on bad hw, optimization scales across all hardware, if a game is poorly optimized, all hw will run worse than it otherwise could.

That's all! Thanks!
BadKarma

Re: Optimization

Great input munch, yeah I feel like optimization has been forgotten about in recent tactical shooters, this is going to be a hot take from me, but I hope the game doesn't include Raytracing, similar to Atomic Heart one which is super easy to run, even on my ancient RTX 2060 and i7 8700 coupled with 16 gigs of 2666. Dual channel RAM plus an M2 SSD.

Don't get me wrong I am in no way diminishing the capability of the newer hardware, I'm sure the newest RTX cards are great, but not everyone prefers premium end ones, simply because they do nothing other than playing or simply put playing and streaming.

My other reason is, why not have Raytracing? Because from what demos I have seen of Six Days, the game looks stunning enough, really I don't understand some people that say the game looks like a Gen behind? But this is probably a subjective thing, it reminds me of BF3 where the game didn't need gimmicks in order to look good, same as Six Days. That's besides the fact that games nowadays usually come out unplayable, like The Last of Us Part 1 or Arkham Knights.

Anyhow, I hope my rant wasn't enough to dissuade you from enjoying the highest graphics quality, but I would prefer a good game that plays great over an unoptimized one that looks great but plays badly.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Performance will depend on whether you are a host or client. When hosting, our target for your machine is 60 fps, although it’s possible you could average slightly lower than this until we complete all our optimizations over time. As a client, frames should consistently be over 60 fps. We doubt you’ll ever get close to the Insurgency numbers, though, since all their lighting is static (while ours is dynamic).

Regarding ray tracing: we plan to support ray-tracing eventually, but not initially. Also, it will always be optional. We’re doing a lot of our lighting globally and dynamically, so integrating ray-tracing will be a pretty big effort.
BadKarma

AmperCamper wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:02 pm Performance will depend on whether you are a host or client. When hosting, our target for your machine is 60 fps, although it’s possible you could average slightly lower than this until we complete all our optimizations over time. As a client, frames should consistently be over 60 fps. We doubt you’ll ever get close to the Insurgency numbers, though, since all their lighting is static (while ours is dynamic).

Regarding ray tracing: we plan to support ray-tracing eventually, but not initially. Also, it will always be optional. We’re doing a lot of our lighting globally and dynamically, so integrating ray-tracing will be a pretty big effort.
That's very interesting, my curiosity just sparked, do developers at Highwire develop for 6 core cpus nowadays? It just came to my knowledge that 4 cores has been abandoned by now.