Single player showcase?

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
xxinfurnoxx

Single player showcase?

So we've seen a lot of co-op gameplay thus far, is there a planned single player showcase for how we control the AI team, how the missions are delivered ect? I am excited for the co-op side of sidif but I'm really wanting to pick it up for the campaign, and we haven't seen much if any of that. Thanks in advance and apologies if this has been brought up already.
Ste91

Re: Single player showcase?

the topic has already been addressed...and every time there are delays unfortunately...we are all a bit demoralized now...many people have even stopped believing in it
KoniSprezeni

It is best explained here.
We will have to wait a bit longer, but dont stop believing!
aggimajera

xxinfurnoxx wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:39 am So we've seen a lot of co-op gameplay thus far, is there a planned single player showcase for how we control the AI team, how the missions are delivered ect? I am excited for the co-op side of sidif but I'm really wanting to pick it up for the campaign, and we haven't seen much if any of that. Thanks in advance and apologies if this has been brought up already.
It has been brought up, and many of us are waiting on that. But I wouldn’t say many have stopped believing so much as switching from active engagement to “wait and see”.
Kean_1

Not sure about folks who stopped "believing" in this title but there are always those people in any project I've ever followed.

I'm agree with aggimajera's "wait and see" approach. I'm cautiously optimistic as I always am with new titles until I can actually see alpha / beta footage, actually participate in the beta and/or have more complete answers regarding gameplay mechanics, features, footage, etc.

I've seen nothing with this studio up to this point to lead me to lose faith in the project and see it through to it's release. ....or at least to the point where I am no longer interested if details emerge that sour my expectations of what the game will be.

If you want to see a poorly handled game currently in development, look up "The Day Before".

The folks working on SDiF have been engaging with us for quite a while now. They have welcomed our input, questions and suggestions. .....feedback that will impact the final product.

Delays in updates and the eventual release of the game are to be expected, especially considering the small size of he team working on it. They simply don't have the flexibility a AAA studio would have to shuffle resources, etc. when hurdles come their way. The thing is, they have always been up front with us (when they can) up to this point so that is why I (personally) still have confidence in them and the title.

@xxinfurnoxx,
To be frank, there really hasn't been a ton of footage up to this point. The earliest footage was still the most we have received and that did show off some of the single player AI commands, etc. As mentioned, we are still waiting to see more. .....of everything to be honest. Hopefully we should be seeing something soon as outlined in the post @KoniSprezeni linked. The campaign is still a huge part of this game and hopefully, the procedural mechanics will have a great impact on replayability.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Thanks for the thread and for everyone's input on this. Kudos to Kean for the kind words, too.

Although we did demonstrate a number of single-player mechanics in our YouTube video a couple years ago, we’ve made improvements to this that we will show in the coming months. However, in the meantime, most of our AI team’s efforts have gone towards improving the Insurgent AI systems. Two things we’re doing very differently with enemy AI are:

While AI enemies in most games are usually confined to performing a small set of discreet tasks all by themselves within a very small, contained area, our AI can move anywhere on the map, coordinate with other AI, and have a large set of behaviors that we’ve modeled from documentation and stories from the battle. We’re finding the combination of the above gives us more realistic and diabolical enemies. This system has been in place for a while now, but we’re finding that making it work on lower end machines requires a constant push-and-pull between performance optimizations and these optimizations causing changes in behavior. It’s this push-and-pull, as well as just squashing the many, many bugs that come naturally from AI, that have caused us to focus our AI team exclusively on enemies right now.

Procedural Architecture means that, besides doing all the above things most military shooters don’t do with their AI, we must also make that work in environments where the geometry changes constantly. While this obviously creates challenges on the front end with creating these systems, the much bigger challenges come from the backend, which is testing these behaviors under conditions that are constantly changing.
xxinfurnoxx

Kean_1 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:39 am Not sure about folks who stopped "believing" in this title but there are always those people in any project I've ever followed.

I'm agree with aggimajera's "wait and see" approach. I'm cautiously optimistic as I always am with new titles until I can actually see alpha / beta footage, actually participate in the beta and/or have more complete answers regarding gameplay mechanics, features, footage, etc.

I've seen nothing with this studio up to this point to lead me to lose faith in the project and see it through to it's release. ....or at least to the point where I am no longer interested if details emerge that sour my expectations of what the game will be.

If you want to see a poorly handled game currently in development, look up "The Day Before".

The folks working on SDiF have been engaging with us for quite a while now. They have welcomed our input, questions and suggestions. .....feedback that will impact the final product.

Delays in updates and the eventual release of the game are to be expected, especially considering the small size of he team working on it. They simply don't have the flexibility a AAA studio would have to shuffle resources, etc. when hurdles come their way. The thing is, they have always been up front with us (when they can) up to this point so that is why I (personally) still have confidence in them and the title.

@xxinfurnoxx,
To be frank, there really hasn't been a ton of footage up to this point. The earliest footage was still the most we have received and that did show off some of the single player AI commands, etc. As mentioned, we are still waiting to see more. .....of everything to be honest. Hopefully we should be seeing something soon as outlined in the post @KoniSprezeni linked. The campaign is still a huge part of this game and hopefully, the procedural mechanics will have a great impact on replayability.
Tbh I am super confused as I never once said anything about people stop believing, not in the title, not in my post 🤔, so I'm at a bit of a wtf moment as I read through these replies 😅 all my post was about is we've seen co-op play now a few times. What about single player gameplay, now at the time I wrote the original post I did not consider the fact that sdif was being made co-op first (usually multi-player is after) which surprised me a lil. If someone could explain where this non believing bit came into play that'd be helpful 😂. Trust I mean no offense to anyone who's posted, I really am lost on this 😅
xxinfurnoxx

@Amper "This system has been in place for a while now, but we’re finding that making it work on lower end machines requires a constant push-and-pull between performance optimizations and these optimizations causing changes in behavior."
Wouldn't it make more sense to only make sdif for gen 9 and PC? I mean we are almost half way through gen 9's life cycle already. Idk when this game is releasing, but if not this year I'd say drop the old gen consoles and bring the minimum specs up a touch for PC. Idk just a thought do what you do, you guys are killing it sofar especially in the audio department! Hope the best for this game 💯 and can't wait to get my hands on it.
Tazzadar3

xxinfurnoxx wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:23 am @Amper "This system has been in place for a while now, but we’re finding that making it work on lower end machines requires a constant push-and-pull between performance optimizations and these optimizations causing changes in behavior."
Wouldn't it make more sense to only make sdif for gen 9 and PC? I mean we are almost half way through gen 9's life cycle already. Idk when this game is releasing, but if not this year I'd say drop the old gen consoles and bring the minimum specs up a touch for PC. Idk just a thought do what you do, you guys are killing it sofar especially in the audio department! Hope the best for this game 💯 and can't wait to get my hands on it.
I would have to agree, ditch the PS4 and Xbox one versions to speed up this process. Maybe once everything is ready for current gen and PC then move on to last gen as it's own separate release.
But to be honest I really think you should leave those older consoles behind, they are almost 10 years old at this point and the current gen always suffers from having to cater to old gen. I personally prefer a truly next gen game.
KoniSprezeni

xxinfurnoxx wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:04 am
Kean_1 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:39 am Not sure about folks who stopped "believing" in this title but there are always those people in any project I've ever followed.

@xxinfurnoxx,
Tbh I am super confused as I never once said anything about people stop believing, not in the title, not in my post 🤔, so I'm at a bit of a wtf moment as I read through these replies 😅 all my post was about is we've seen co-op play now a few times. What about single player gameplay, now at the time I wrote the original post I did not consider the fact that sdif was being made co-op first (usually multi-player is after) which surprised me a lil. If someone could explain where this non believing bit came into play that'd be helpful 😂. Trust I mean no offense to anyone who's posted, I really am lost on this 😅
Ste91 mentioned it in his post. It wasnt directly meant for anyone in particular. I am aware, that you have not written it, did not mean to put words in your mouth.

I am also on the same page with ditching old gen machines. I believe that especially in this case with all the new AI involved it has to make things quite hard to figure out hence it would mean more delay.