Picture in Picture?

Share suggestions and feedback here.
aggimajera

Picture in Picture?

Some FPS games, when you zoom in on optics, have the entire FOV zoom in to simulate tunnel vision.

In Sandstorm, if say you equipped an RCO, the Picture in Picture setting maintains your default FOV but zooms in only on the optic itself.

Will Six Days feature that as well?
Kridath

Re: Picture in Picture?

aggimajera wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:23 am Some FPS games, when you zoom in on optics, have the entire FOV zoom in to simulate tunnel vision.

In Sandstorm, if say you equipped an RCO, the Picture in Picture setting maintains your default FOV but zooms in only on the optic itself.

Will Six Days feature that as well?
From the looks of gameplay footage in the SITREPS, it looks like you will be focused on the sight and the rest will go blurred, and in all reality, thats pretty accurate if you are using an optic, you wont notice the peripheral as much unless you keep both eyes open. In this case you do notice it with the quick aim in the gameplay when doing CQB. You would notice this much more looking through a CCO or an ACOG, but in some of the gameplay footage you can see it with the BUIS.
Kean_1

Re: Picture in Picture?

I get what aggimajera is saying and I do like how that effect is modeled in Sandstorm. The problem with zooming in to show only the optic is that it really isn't what you would see in real life. Your eye isn't that close and you still have some periphery of your surroundings. Although that outer edge is blurred, you can still notice movement in those areas. You lose that with the "zoom in" method which gives you complete tunnel vision.

I also don't like what I saw in the last SITREP video with iron sights as I noticed both front and rear were blurred. I get the effect they are going for (you're focusing on the target so those would be out of focus), but in reality, sometimes you are focusing between the front sight and the target.

The problem boils down to the fact that you simply can't replicate things on a screen like peripheral vision, focus and so on. VR is getting better at that with advancements like foveated rendering which is able to track the players eyes and where exactly they are looking at. ....providing detail on what they are focusing on, not in your peripheral. In a game not using that technology, they implement what we are discussing.

Personally, I shot with both eyes open or one partly closed at times depending on the situation. I would actually prefer what the OP proposes vs. a zoomed in view to be honest. I would also like to see the blur effect lessened a bit on what I saw for iron sights with the front one in focus regardless.