How will Insurgents react upon being wounded?

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Enthusiast

How will Insurgents react upon being wounded?

Something I feel like should be considered to make the game more immersive is how the insurgents will react upon being shot and wounded in general, for example I don't think most people upon being shot will be unphased and continue to return fire however there actually were some exceptions to this that I'll get into later, I think having the insurgents stagger move to to different cover or just straight up run away if they can get away with it if there not immediately killed upon being shot.

Different bullet calibers should also be taken into account as well as vital spots, if an insurgent is shot in let's say his shoulder or arm he'll be wounded, but not badly wounded he'll continue to return fire and combat the opposition, but if he's shot in the stomach or are shot multiple times that's when he'll consider surndering or running away, the obvious vital spots being the head neck and chest, the chance of them surviving being shot are increased if shot with 556 instead of 762.

The exceptions to this being the if the insurgents are drugged up or wearing armor and thanks to some insight from Mudroc apparently insurgents seemed to have been much harder to kill when drugged up seem could even withstand greanades when hopped up on drugs.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: How will Insurgents react upon being wounded?

Thanks for asking this. Insurgents do get stunned and can stagger, but calibrating damage to caliber is not something we’ve tackled so far. Interested in hearing more thoughts on this.
Enthusiast

Kinda suprises you guys haven't considered damage to caliber yet...although I do recall you stating that insurgents will be Harder to takedown with 556 rounds however this was if the insurgents were drugged up as supposed to normal types.

Right now the bullet calibers I can see being the game at launch are 556 for the M16A4 and mabey the M4 and M16A2 as well as the SAW and 762 for the M240 and M21.
absent

I think that would be a nice touch. I think the more little details added the more depth the game will have. Even if it's not immediately obvious it's happening right away, I've found that games which add these sorts of systems in subtle ways feel more realistic. It doesn't even have to be a super complicated implementation to yield results. I'm not really sure what the damage model is like or how injuries will work, but having some differences based on rounds would be pretty neat.

If you get hit by 5.56 vs 7.62x39 either way you're gonna have a bad time, but you're probably gonna have a slightly worse time with the 7.62. I think this would especially be important with handgun rounds or other non-rifle rounds. It'd be weird if insurgents or players took the same amount of damage from a 5.56 or 7.62 and 9x19 or 9×18 or whatever. Also something like a 7.62x39 isn't really comparable to a 7.62x51.

Also hopefully the "main character" doesn't feel like he's better than the other AI on his team. I think it'd be a lot more immersive if you feel like you're a part of the world, and it's hard to feel that way when you can take more damage than everyone else around you. Body armor obviously should have a protective effect but beyond that I'd prefer not to feel superhuman in any way compared to those around me.
aggimajera

AmperCamper wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:15 pm Thanks for asking this. Insurgents do get stunned and can stagger, but calibrating damage to caliber is not something we’ve tackled so far. Interested in hearing more thoughts on this.
Headshots oughta be an instant drop.
Given as how they were fighting a Jihad and had extra will, or some had the benefit of being on narcotics, there could be a balance achieved between bullet sponge and no. Hell, some could keep fighting while others just drop right there. Keeping it inconsistent might be a way to keep gunfights a little less formulaic in the sense each enemy could react to getting shot differently.

Please do not include anything along the lines of hit markers though.
Enthusiast

The idea of every insurgent reacting differently upon being shot is pretty much what I had in mind when typing this out, the ones hopped up on drugs should be less fearful and frantically engage the player despite being shot numerous times, while the others might be more likely to run away or surrender.
munchuh

I definitely hope that there will be multiple states of injury other than "not shot", "shot", and "dead".

ie; shooting an insurgent in the leg should limit their mobility, and cause a limping or some sort of animation.

Shooting enemy A in the torso in varying location's kills him instantly, but Enemy B becomes incapacitated on the ground, with audible pain and what not.

Shooting an enemy in the limbs and shoulders should cause bleeding (which would stack per shot, as in, more bullet holes, bleeding affect is amplified), and if they are able to walk, they could try to run away, and bleed out, and if they can't walk away, draw a pistol or lay prone and wait for you to approach.

Etc etc, millions of scenarios here, but I'd love to see different states of wounding, and not just "injured" and "dead". Hope it will be dynamic.
Enthusiast

Getting shot in the shoulder is a bigger deal than most people realize, so I feel like having insurgents shot in the shoulder should have the insurgents bleed out faster, while I do agree every insurgent should react differently upon being shot a big thing to remember is the ones hopped up on drugs will take more shots and put up a stronger fight.

Insurgents laying prone with a pistol sounds cool, but besides pulling out a pistol pulling the pin on a grenade if badly wounded while prone would also fit, for example during while clearing the infamous hell house LT Grapes and his sqaud brought in some C4 to bring the house down on top of the insurgents, and while it did work and all insurgents were killed when the buliding collapsed one survived and pulled out a grenade which resulted in the marines taking cover, no one was hurt and the insurgent was immediately dispatched.
munchuh

100%.

Agree with all said.

I just essentially want insurgents to have different dynamic states of wounding, coupled with enemy morale, that along with the procedural generation, can make each playthrough a totally unique experience to each player.

Imagine clearing the first room of a home, through the windows, just to breach in and have the risk of an insurgent that you thought had been dispatched, bleeding out (and also playing dead would be neat, this has been implemented pretty well in Ready or Not, an early access game on Steam) with an AK pointed at you, essentially requiring quick reaction from the player and or using the Go command to alert your squad.

Fallujah, being an urban battle, this game should definitely take advantage of opportunities for all sorts of "booby traps" and surprise behaviors.
Enthusiast

Since these were jihadists they had that benefit of having extra will as well as loudspeakers throughout the city playing propaganda to boost the morale of the insurgents, The community manager Amper has addressd that there will be a wide variety of booby traps such as IEDs tripwires and spider holes, something else worth mentioning is that insurgents can in fact run away as shown in one of the SITREPs regarding audio, but with being having the insurgents run way after being shot only to find them bleeding in another house or room waiting for you to enter also sounds great too.

Overall If your looking for more info regarding Six days I suggest looking at the SITREPs as they offer some good info as well as browning the forums as I'm sure you'll find a lot of answers to any questions you might have with the next one coming this month, and you can definitely count on the AI in this game being some of the best of any FPS.