Release date timeline in next SITREP?

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
jonas

Release date timeline in next SITREP?

Just wondering if you guys were going to release a timeline of when you plan to drop the game?
aggimajera

Re: Release date timeline in next SITREP?

jonas wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:16 pm Just wondering if you guys were going to release a timeline of when you plan to drop the game?
I hope its soon. I think I speak for many saying that not knowing can be tiresome.
I know the game is a unique one, but a large part of me believes the announcement came too soon.
Kean_1

jonas wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:16 pm Just wondering if you guys were going to release a timeline of when you plan to drop the game?
They announced a tentative timeline of calendar 2022 Q4 as I recall. They are obviously not ready to provide anything more definitive than that but I'm sure if they were able, they would tell us.
aggimajera wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:47 am I hope its soon. I think I speak for many saying that not knowing can be tiresome.
I know the game is a unique one, but a large part of me believes the announcement came too soon.
I don't see it that way especially if you temper your expectations to what we know. This is a small team of developers working on SDiF with finite resources. A wrench in the works can have a much more drastic affect then it might in a large AAA studio. Personally, I'd rather they announce a set release when they are relatively certain they can meet that date than promise something they regret later.

What gets tiring for me is when companies confidently dangle a carrot only to pull it back. Insurgency Sandstorm's release on console was a perfect example of this. They delayed that game time and time again over the course of years after setting firm dates. The last delay was at the eleventh hour and then radio silence which only made the pill even more bitter to swallow. After a while we found out NWI was acquired by the Embracer Group and months later they finally felt the need to break their silence on the long awaited console release. .....I lost a lot of respect for NWI at that point especially in the way they treated that segment of the community.

In the case of SDiF, these folks let their fans know that the game is back from the dead. I for one am happy they did. Also, they've been very open with sharing information, answering questions and (most importantly) taking feedback / suggestions while the game is in development.

Too soon? ....not in my opinion. In fact, I see this as an opportunity fans don't normally get to interact with the developers early in the process.
Badd_Karrmaa

I'd rather they wait til they're sure
aggimajera

I believe I am tempered when I say not knowing is tiresome. I think its likely that the devs feel it in a sense, aside from the rigors of game development. I certainly wouldn't want them to pull the same sort of of scheme on us; dangle the carrot so to speak. It's ready when its ready. I get that.
Kean_1 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:33 am Too soon? ....not in my opinion. In fact, I see this as an opportunity fans don't normally get to interact with the developers early in the process.
Possibly. I do appreciate how we are able to get words out to Highwire and possibly have some say. However this very notion, early announcement, aided in the death of the game the first time. It gave critics a huge voice with no real way for the devs to counter with substantial material to aid in their explanations of their vision. Obviously circumstances have changed and they're not publisher hunting this time, but we are faced with a similar problem here. Lots of words from Highwire discussing how Six Days is different from the pack but very little of substance to show the average viewer how. It might have been wiser to wait until things were truly locked down.

Granted, critics of the concept are inevitably going to find stuff to dissect. I digress there.

Edit: I should note too... there is a danger of the game, being announced this early, to enter Early Access. I am vehemently against that practice and worry this game will do the same. If it does, it is going to affect my desire to purchase substantially. Early Access is without a doubt one of the worst game development practices.
Kean_1

aggimajera wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:36 pm Possibly. I do appreciate how we are able to get words out to Highwire and possibly have some say. However this very notion, early announcement, aided in the death of the game the first time. It gave critics a huge voice with no real way for the devs to counter with substantial material to aid in their explanations of their vision. Obviously circumstances have changed and they're not publisher hunting this time, but we are faced with a similar problem here. Lots of words from Highwire discussing how Six Days is different from the pack but very little of substance to show the average viewer how. It might have been wiser to wait until things were truly locked down.
I can only speak for myself but I see a lot of substance in what they have been sharing including some particulars on in-game mechanics, etc. The fact is that they are not ready to discuss most things in development in any great detail but with the regular sitreps and interaction on this forum, we're moving from broad strokes to finer details of what to expect.

I think it's clear how certain aspects of this game like the procedurally generated building / street layouts, hardcore / realistic gameplay elements, etc. will separate this game from most other shooters especially on console where there is a severe lack of titles of this type.

I'm not sure what they need to "lock down" as they have confirmed that they are committed to brining this game to market and I really see no downside to them announcing the comeback of the game when they did or sharing information during the development process. I have a hard time believing fans of this game would rather have been kept in the dark up to this point rather than being shown the progress they have shared, the updates, the ability to share feedback / suggestions, etc.

I get some are tired of waiting for a game they really want or for more details than what they are ready to share but it is what it is. Whether they kept radio silent on development or not doesn't change the fact that the game will come when they are ready to release it. .....I would rather know myself.
aggimajera wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:36 pmGranted, critics of the concept are inevitably going to find stuff to dissect. I digress there.

Edit: I should note too... there is a danger of the game, being announced this early, to enter Early Access. I am vehemently against that practice and worry this game will do the same. If it does, it is going to affect my desire to purchase substantially. Early Access is without a doubt one of the worst game development practices.
It's not uncommon for games to be announced they are in development years prior to release. .....some surprise us just months or weeks in advance. I don't see a connection in the decision when to announce a game's development with the choice in releasing it into early access. That's a business decision that could be made regardless of the fact.

I'm not really a fan of early access either but I don't necessarily have an absolute aversion to the idea in general. Well made games have gone this route like Hell Let Loose.

However, what I will say is that I've seen some games enter a seemingly perpetual beta state, never ending with no light at the end of the tunnel. Some games remain there far too long and in that sense, I can see it as a kind of a development trap, a purgatory of sorts that some companies fall into.

Typically though, I tend to keep games like this in the back of mind. .....write them off so to speak until v1.0 is announced. I agree that I do hope SDiF doesn't go down that path as there is no early access on PS5 and I really don't want to see the game possibly stalled longer as a result as I've seen happen with some other titles.

From a purely personal opinion, I suspect SDiF will be released sometime in 2023 barring any unforeseen problems that would halt development all together. As for whether they will deliver on the hype, I honestly don't know. I'm always skeptical as I've been disappointed on more than one occasion by a game company. ....but from everything I've seen so far, I think they are sincere. I'll just say that I have more faith in the SDiF project than I do in some others I have an interest in that are in the works right now.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Apologies for the late replies on this (I've managed to give Covid a run for its money until earlier this week, and I'm just catching up now). Regarding the larger questions about the timing of our announcement and when we’ll ship the game, there are many factors at work here:

As I've mentioned here, the game definitely is taking much longer to finish than we thought it would. The biggest cause of this is how the complexity of Procedural Architecture creates unexpected effects across many different systems. The second biggest cause is that we are a very small team relative to COD, BF, R6, etc (many of which now have 800+ people working on them). We’re trying to do some very ambitious things to break the decades-long cycle of “me-too” military shooter franchises while knowing that our subject matter will cause this game to get a ton of scrutiny. Doing all of this at the same time at a high quality with a small team actually is extremely difficult. We are continually making very solid progress, but it’s taking much longer than we had hoped.

Unlike Activision, we can’t just allocate part of an existing budget to make a new game. We have to raise this money from investors. And investors want to know there will be a market for the game before plowing this much money into a risky project. The support we received from fans after announcing Six Days was hugely helpful in demonstrating to investors that this is a good project to support.

We very much want to continue integrating community feedback early enough in development to affect decisions. Now, we understand we can't integrate everything, and it’s not even about how much support or “thanks” an idea gets. But, senior leadership and many others on our team actively monitor these forums alongside other platforms. They receive regular updates from my side, and many ideas discussed here factor into both our short-term and long-term thinking in unexpected ways (some of which are visible immediately and some that won’t be obvious for a few years). Your feedback has already been critical to us, and we are just beginning. We are not trying to build a one-off game with Six Days. We want to build a relationship with a community that can help shape what we do for the next decade.

As for the timing of the next SITREP: we hope to have a new diary in late October or early November, at the very latest. Of course, we’re mindful that Activision will be making a lot of noise around COD during this time (which we’ll try to dodge). We’ll also be getting much more specific about release timing in the coming months as we pass through certain key technical and creative hurdles.
Enthusiast

Reading this thread really put a lot of things into perspective,I remember first seeing this games trailer and not really thinking much but after getting more into the millsim genre I don't think I can describe just how much I'm excited for this game.
I mentioned this in another thread but coming from console we are STARVED for something like this and as I've mentioned many a time I really hope this game will be the thing to Kickstart tactical shooters on console,I've been waiting for a game centered around the brutal urban combat that took place during the iraq war,but besides all that I think it's safe to say that this was definitely going too need a bigger team and props on to the devs for delaying it instead of pushing out a sub par product.
This game having a smaller team than most triple A studios is sometimes I should've taken into account as to why progress seemed to have moved at slower pace and that creating a game like this would take more time than your average shooter but I still have faith that the folks over at Vitcura will put out an amazing game.