How Many Procedural Architecture Presets?

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Azariel

How Many Procedural Architecture Presets?

I've had a lingering question about the procedural generation.

How many "presets" are there that the system can choose from? I'm personally hoping there are a lot because after say, 6 hours of playtime then it's very possible that you'll recognize an interior and know what to do. A small question but that's all I've been meaning to ask.
Kean_1

Re: How Many Procedural Architecture Presets?

This was partially addressed in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=457

Like you, I wondered just how "deep" the procedural mechanic will go for the same reasons (e.g. familiarity and predictability).

I'm hoping the assets used in the game are many and the configurations widely varied o the point where the gameplay doesn't become too predictable. However, AI behavior can play just as big a role (if not bigger) in gameplay feeling repetitive, expected, etc.

For me, this question is still unanswered until more is revealed about these aspects of the game.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Hey guys,

While there are "presets" for various procedural components, these get mixed and matched to provide enough variety so the environment still remains unpredictable. Keep in mind that the amount of variety we can create is always limited by the realities of physical spaces. There’s only so many ways to lay out a small house, for example.

But, you still won’t know which of those layouts is inside when you’re about to breach the door. Even if you recognize the first floor, it might have a different second floor. Then there’s various pieces of furniture that provide concealment (or cover in some cases). The windows and doors are in different places, too. On top of this, enemies spawn differently each time.

Ultimately, our goal is to create enough variety so you guys can’t memorize the maps. There’s enough "unknowns" to create the tension that’s missing from most military shooters.
Azariel

AmperCamper wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:21 am While there are "presets" for various procedural components, these get mixed and matched to provide enough variety so the environment still remains unpredictable. Keep in mind that the amount of variety we can create is always limited by the realities of physical spaces. There’s only so many ways to lay out a small house, for example.

But, you still won’t know which of those layouts is inside when you’re about to breach the door. Even if you recognize the first floor, it might have a different second floor. Then there’s various pieces of furniture that provide concealment (or cover in some cases). The windows and doors are in different places, too. On top of this, enemies spawn differently each time.
This is what I like to hear! Thank you Amper! I didn't realize it would also randomize the furniture, doors and windows, that definitely adds a ton!
I thought it would have been hand placed furniture, doors, etc. and those are saved as the presets and not the actual room construction itself. This is fantastic news!
Kridath

AmperCamper wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:21 am Hey guys,

While there are "presets" for various procedural components, these get mixed and matched to provide enough variety so the environment still remains unpredictable. Keep in mind that the amount of variety we can create is always limited by the realities of physical spaces. There’s only so many ways to lay out a small house, for example.

Ultimately, our goal is to create enough variety so you guys can’t memorize the maps. There’s enough "unknowns" to create the tension that’s missing from most military shooters.
This adds more dynamic to the game than what I was expecting! Im excited to see how this unfolds and how different the game will look loading in each time!