SITREP: Insurgent Weapons

Series of developer diaries for Six Days in Fallujah.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

SITREP: Insurgent Weapons

Sgt Jason Kyle wrote:The defender had the ability to move a lot faster than we did, just because they were not carrying as much gear as we were. They were shooting at you from a room, and they would drop their weapons and they would run somewhere else, or even run to the next building.
In our last SITREP, we detailed some of the tools of the trade for the USMC Infantry Marine. But, this is just one component of Six Days in Fallujah. The Coalition's opposition came from 31 countries and included a mixture of fighters operating under the Al Qaeda in Iraq banner, Former Baathist Regime Elements, local residents, hired mercenaries, and Mujahideen. These Insurgents had an entirely different weapons loadout than the 21st century western fighting force.

We’ve received a number of questions since our announcement related to Insurgents, and we wanted to take the opportunity to answer some of these in this developer diary. Today, we’re discussing the weapons fielded by the Insurgency in Fallujah.

As the Iraqi Insurgent and foreign Jihadists were defending against the Coalition assault, they were able to store weapons, ammunition, gear, and provisions in homes and businesses instead of carrying it all on their backs. The result was that the average Fallujah Insurgent’s “kit” was much lighter than the attacking Marine’s loadout, prioritizing mobility above all else. Body armor and Kevlar helmets were rare, resulting in lightweight loadouts that allowed for wall jumping, hiding in tight spaces, and crawling in and out of holes, tunnels, and bunkers.
Cpl Dane Thompson wrote:They had weapons stashed everywhere. Like I said, I found houses everywhere with pits with guns and stuff. And they know where all this stuff is. They’d take AKs and stash them in different rooms of the house so they can shoot, drop it, and go run and grab another one.
Developer Comment wrote:The most a single Insurgent might carry on their person would be their weapon and a chest rig with five or six extra magazines. With tennis shoes and lightweight clothing, Insurgents could get around quickly. This loadout also allowed for Insurgent foot soldiers to abandon their weapons and blend in with the civilian population. Although gunpowder tests were frequently administered to fighting-aged males on the battlefield, some combatants undoubtedly slipped through the cracks by looking like non-combatants.
Weapon authenticity on the Insurgent side has been a welcomed challenge for our team. For the more commonly seen Insurgent weapons, our archive of photographs and videos captured during the battle is used as a starting point, and our artists bring them up to our design standards.

Please remember that this is not an exhaustive list and all assets shown are currently a work-in-progress.

If the military-issued M16A4 was our starting point for the USMC, we’ll start with its rival for the Insurgents—the Avtomat Kalashnikov. The AK-47 and its variants were the “bread and butter” of the Insurgent foot soldier’s arsenal. The primary reason for this was its accessibility—these rifles, components, and 7.62x39mm ammunition were widely available throughout Iraq during this period. The sheer supply of AKs and 7.62 bullets can partially be attributed to the mass looting of Baathist armories that occurred when Coalition victory over Saddam’s regime became apparent. NPR's Phillip Reeves reported that black market AK-47s cost as little as $50 USD following the fall of Saddam. Our Iraqi consultants have even shared that “every Iraqi man can operate an AK—we’re taught that at a pretty young age."

The AK-47 also rivals the M16A4 in versatility, seeing plenty of variation during the Second Battle of Fallujah. As the most common rifle in the eastern hemisphere for more than half a century, modifications became just as widely recognized as the base model. Variant stocks, especially, cropped up into battle, providing Insurgents more combat options in tighter quarters. In Six Days in Fallujah, players will find an AK-47 with a collapsible metal stock modeled after the AKM-S.

In a city with thousands of buildings of varying height, snipers were extremely common during the Second Battle of Fallujah. From sniper hides deep inside apartment buildings to positions in mosque minarets, crack shot Insurgent and foreign Jihadists wrought havoc on Coalition forces. Long-range combat combined with the home-field advantage made finding a single sniper like finding a needle in a haystack. Their weapon of choice was the Dragunov designated marksman rifle, which caused Marines to think twice before crossing open roadways and rooftops. Players in Six Days will have to do the very same.

Let’s talk about one of the most widely recognized Insurgent weapons in the genre—the RPG-7. Used primarily as anti-tank/APC weapon, this portable rocket-propelled grenade launcher was used to cut off vehicle support to Coalition forces. With its reusability through reloading, various rockets could be used to adapt to the threat at hand. High explosive rounds were sometimes fired at infantry. Players will often face RPGs when engaging in urban combat in Six Days.

On the topic of explosive rounds, there’s another obstacle for players to overcome—82mm mortars. Just as sniper nests were scattered throughout the urban terrain of Fallujah, pre-fixed mortar emplacements posed a massive threat to Coalition forces. This indirect fire weapon was deployed with very high levels of expertise and success. After all, much of the Iraqi Insurgency consisted of former Baathist Army members who earned their experience fighting the Iranian Army in the 1980s. Unsuspecting squads of Marine riflemen often found themselves caught under mortar fire, and players will encounter this in Six Days.

The PKM was one of the Insurgency’s answers to the USMC’s M249 SAW. This 7.62x54mm machine gun was often mounted inside Fallujah houses in anticipation for the USMC. With bipods attached for stability, a swarm of bullets was ready to ambush anyone approaching Fallujah interiors.
SSgt Elber Navarro wrote:And as soon as I step out of the door, they open up. Machine gun fire comes, it's just ruthless machine gun fire. It’s just 'BRAAAAH!' And I said, 'you gotta be kidding me.' So there was somebody else in there.

Last on our list is the DShK heavy machine gun. While truck mounted heavy machine guns were common tools for the Iraqi Insurgency, they did not play a huge role in the Second Battle of Fallujah. This is because Coalition forces owned the sky. In the Second Battle of Fallujah, any moving vehicle without military designated infrared beacons would be flagged by air recon and struck from the sky. However, once Insurgents realized this, they began storing these vehicles under overhangs that made them more difficult to discover, and players may find some instances of this as they play through Six Days.

More common, however, were heavy machine guns emplacements in bunkers or fortified homes with long lines of sight. Like the PKM, the DShK was a favorite for this style of combat.

While players don’t control Insurgents in Six Days, we are confident in the systems we have in place to ensure enemy opposition employs advanced tactics in response to individual play. Players will be asked to overcome Insurgent “hit and run” tactics, including ambushes, harassment, and tactical retreat.

As for the common question of picking up and utilizing Insurgent weapons, we want to let our community know we haven’t made any final decisions on this yet. We have a few isolated accounts of Marines using AKs as well as firing RPGs from a distance, but these are few and far between. And, since AKs were so commonly associated with Insurgents, firing one could cause Marines to be misidentified as Insurgents—which was very dangerous, as a few Marines we spoke with discovered the hard way. There are quite a few things to think about before we make final decisions, and we welcome community feedback as we continue development.
Blade0351

Re: SITREP: Insurgent Weapons

Hey Amper thanks for the new SITREP! The assets are looking great! Can't wait for the next gameplay footage to drop!
BadKarma

Great SITREP, can't wait to see more.
BobTank63

I noticed that the mortars and DShK weapons are shown in this post, but they aren't shown on the actual news page on the website. Is there a reason for this?

Also, I think we should have to ability to pick up Insurgent weapons in firefights, but I mainly want it only to recreate this scene :lol: :

Stickfigure21

Good shit Amper.

Models look great. Lot of useful info to give us some background on OPFOR players will be encountering.

Some quick notes:

While reading this post, gave me a thread idea, will post it in the general discussion.

Will we be seeing insurgents using traps such as IED’s, tripwires, spider holes, etc?

How will Insurgent AI be tasked with movements? Will they be on a set path for them to follow or will they be static while clearing rooms / buildings?

Give the team a pat on the back and an attaboy. Keep up the good work as always
-Steve
staropal0972

Stickfigure21 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:59 pm Good shit Amper.

Models look great. Lot of useful info to give us some background on OPFOR players will be encountering.

Some quick notes:

While reading this post, gave me a thread idea, will post it in the general discussion.

Will we be seeing insurgents using traps such as IED’s, tripwires, spider holes, etc?

How will Insurgent AI be tasked with movements? Will they be on a set path for them to follow or will they be static while clearing rooms / buildings?

Give the team a pat on the back and an attaboy. Keep up the good work as always
-Steve
I think traps like the spiderholes and tripwires have been confirmed already by Amper. I think insurgent tactics will also vary based on their surroundings it was confirmed somewhere last year. Some static, some dynamic.
Fallujah1019

I cant wait to see the AI in this game.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Thanks for all the comments so far guys!
BobTank63 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:39 pm I noticed that the mortars and DShK weapons are shown in this post, but they aren't shown on the actual news page on the website. Is there a reason for this?
Yes, there are some content limitations on the site that prevent us cramming all the images we want into one blog. We're looking at workarounds for this!
staropal0972 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:06 pm I think traps like the spiderholes and tripwires have been confirmed already by Amper. I think insurgent tactics will also vary based on their surroundings it was confirmed somewhere last year. Some static, some dynamic.
This is correct! Thank you, staro.
aggimajera

Love the Update, as always!
I personally think you should allow Insurgent weapons to be picked up, for a few reasons.

1.) I read in With the Old Breed that often men would pick up dead Japanese soldiers' rifles, strip them of their bolt, and break the stocks to prevent future use by infiltrators. The same should be allowed here, allowing us to unload, strip, or destroy the AK's to prevent their recovery. Give us a reason to pick them up.
2.) On that note, they could be an added source of dread. In your effort to prevent their use by insurgents, you could stumble across a conspicuously placed weapon system, grab it, and trigger an IED. It is turned into yet another factor we need to consider when moving through Fallujah. When we used to do MOUT training in Twentynine Palms, that was a major factor I think doesn't get enough attention in media.
3.) On your final note of why you shouldn't go around firing AK's to prevent blue on blue, why not let players discover this the hard way? Why not have us endure blue-on-blue as a result? Perhaps your squad mates ridicule you or straight up call you an idiot for carrying an Insurgent weapon as your primary.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

aggimajera wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:48 pm 1.) I read in With the Old Breed that often men would pick up dead Japanese soldiers' rifles, strip them of their bolt, and break the stocks to prevent future use by infiltrators. The same should be allowed here, allowing us to unload, strip, or destroy the AK's to prevent their recovery. Give us a reason to pick them up.
Confirming that we do have a system in place to clear enemy weapon caches as it was very prevalent during the battle. We've confirmed traps as well, and tying these to caches is an interesting idea for us.
aggimajera wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:48 pm 3.) On your final note of why you shouldn't go around firing AK's to prevent blue on blue, why not let players discover this the hard way? Why not have us endure blue-on-blue as a result? Perhaps your squad mates ridicule you or straight up call you an idiot for carrying an Insurgent weapon as your primary.
Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this one.