SITREP: Breaching Preview

Series of developer diaries for Six Days in Fallujah.
Unknown0351

Re: SITREP: Breaching Preview

I do hope there is an option to change the blurred weapons.
Enthusiast

Unknown0351 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:47 pm I do hope there is an option to change the blurred weapons.
That's one of the many things I've seen people bring up in videos discussing this SITREP along with the animations being stiff and unpolished, after reading the comments on a lot of these videos it seems people have very mixed feelings on this clip, it's easy to dismiss a lot of this to it being a pre beta so hopefully these won't be problems at launch.

Hopefully these will all be sorted by the time the game is ready for realese, I've also seen the six days youtube channel comment on a video talking about the SITREP, it's nice knowing there also taking the time to look at videos talking about there game, so I hope none of these issues are present in the next SITREP.
Armympwife2019

When is this going to be released for console??? I'm dying waiting for it.
Kridath

Enthusiast wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:18 pm
Unknown0351 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:47 pm I do hope there is an option to change the blurred weapons.
That's one of the many things I've seen people bring up in videos discussing this SITREP along with the animations being stiff and unpolished, after reading the comments on a lot of these videos it seems people have very mixed feelings on this clip, it's easy to dismiss a lot of this to it being a pre beta so hopefully these won't be problems at launch.

Hopefully these will all be sorted by the time the game is ready for realese, I've also seen the six days youtube channel comment on a video talking about the SITREP, it's nice knowing there also taking the time to look at videos talking about there game, so I hope none of these issues are present in the next SITREP.
Hey man, so on thing that Amper has tried to make clear is that they are using different versions of the build throughout the process. What people see in one SITREP might be an earlier or later version from a different one or the next one. I have faith that this game will be fairly very well optimized by the time is released. However, I am sure it wont be perfect as every video game has some sort of flaws.
Tazzadar3

Will there be a pink mist effect when getting headshots, instead of a generic blood spray?
Also if an enemy is close enough to the wall, will the blood hit the wall behind them?
Don't have much else to say, I think everyone has already voiced my concerns.
Could have sworn the next sitrep was going to be about the AI and we were getting release timings, but correct me if I am wrong.
Enthusiast

Kridath wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:21 am
Enthusiast wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:18 pm

Hey man, so on thing that Amper has tried to make clear is that they are using different versions of the build throughout the process. What people see in one SITREP might be an earlier or later version from a different one or the next one. I have faith that this game will be fairly very well optimized by the time is released. However, I am sure it wont be perfect as every video game has some sort of flaws.
A lot of the concerns myself and others had I'm pretty sure will be fixed by the next SITREP, I do have more faith in the six days team than I've had other development teams in the past, you can tell these people want this game to succeed and have passion for this, but like you said there still likely to be bugs present when playing at launch.

I'm sure many others were also excepting this to go further in depth about AI and release timings like Tazzadar said, not sure why they decided to go with the topic of breaching instead, but hopefully we can expect this to be discussed in detail next year along with more frequent updates.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Thanks for all the comments and feedback so far, gang. I wanted to give everyone some time to voice their comments before jumping in. I'll tackle what I can!
Kean_1 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:15 am Are comms going to take proximity into consideration? I thought it was but in the video the team leader is close enough to speak to his team at times yet he still uses the radio. ....although I suppose it has to take into consideration one of the team members might be out of earshot at any given time.

Also, I take it details like muzzle flash (especially indoors; in darkened environments) will be added later?
Yes, proximity VOIP is still in the game and everyone was close enough in the clip to hear one another without using it. With that being said, we've found that you quickly become accustomed to using it more frequently in case someone happens to wander out of earshot or things get extremely hot with explosions and gunfire. One of the worst things that can happen is having to repeat a vital communication beat, so we've habitually defaulted to radio in our specific squad. We're very curious how the community approaches this, as every fireteam operates differently!

Our indoor muzzle flash isn't working properly at the moment, but we have plans to square this away.
krzy wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:53 am I'm not really a fan of the GUI - seems very "in your face", but I guess this is going to change, or maybe we'll even get option to customize what is displayed and when. Also, the FOV seems a bit restrictive, but again, I hope it will be customizable, at least on PCs.
HUD options are still being discussed internally, but we're always excited to hear more about this from everyone. There have been great cases across our channels for both standard and limited HUD options, so please keep these chats coming for us.

Also, thanks again for the reference back to a "free look" perspective and FOV slider. I'll get these to the team for feedback.
Blade0351 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:57 am My only criticism at the moment is that the teammates, while moving around, look pretty choppy. I'm sure y'all will clean this up but the player movement and the insurgents looked smooth and clean.
This was entirely due to a network connection issue during our last capture session. We're seeing plenty of feedback on this, and we're ironing it out.
aggimajera wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:35 am 1.) I don't particularly mind the out of focus effect on the gun, but a good deal of people do mind it. Is that a toggle-able feature?
I addressed your other questions above, but for this one: there aren’t any current plans to turn off the blurring on the weapon, but we’ll forward this to the design team!
munchuh wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:57 pm I thought Amper had mentioned an updated release timeline was going to be in this SITREP, but it doesn't appear to be so? I'm guessing we're looking towards Spring/Summer 2023.
We know this question in particular is extremely important for us to answer, but we're not ready to lock this in just yet. Please hang tight as we check some more things off our list to ensure we can deliver on a specific date.
ThatDudeKelso wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:46 pm Is it possible to be a part of the beta testing?
Yes, we'll share details on beta testing phases as these come up. We know everyone's anxious to get their hands on gameplay themselves, and we'll keep you guys posted.
Tazzadar3 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:59 am Will there be a pink mist effect when getting headshots, instead of a generic blood spray?
Also if an enemy is close enough to the wall, will the blood hit the wall behind them?
Could have sworn the next sitrep was going to be about the AI and we were getting release timings, but correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks for checking in on this, Tazz. Yes, we had initial plans to dive deeper into AI and Marine tactics, but we decided to give everyone a preview of just one of our breaching mechanics before the holidays. We plan to dive deeper into this system with more SITREPs in the new year, too.

As for blood, we've mentioned that we're not going for excess amounts of gore. But, there are some things that we could do that you've suggested, and I'll pass this to the team.

We're very excited to see some of our work get picked up online, and the continued support from you folks on our forums certainly plays a role in that. We're very much looking forward to what 2023 will bring.
munchuh

AmperCamper wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:57 pm Thanks for all the comments and feedback so far, gang. I wanted to give everyone some time to voice their comments before jumping in. I'll tackle what I can!
Kean_1 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:15 am Are comms going to take proximity into consideration? I thought it was but in the video the team leader is close enough to speak to his team at times yet he still uses the radio. ....although I suppose it has to take into consideration one of the team members might be out of earshot at any given time.

Also, I take it details like muzzle flash (especially indoors; in darkened environments) will be added later?
Yes, proximity VOIP is still in the game and everyone was close enough in the clip to hear one another without using it. With that being said, we've found that you quickly become accustomed to using it more frequently in case someone happens to wander out of earshot or things get extremely hot with explosions and gunfire. One of the worst things that can happen is having to repeat a vital communication beat, so we've habitually defaulted to radio in our specific squad. We're very curious how the community approaches this, as every fireteam operates differently!

Our indoor muzzle flash isn't working properly at the moment, but we have plans to square this away.
krzy wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:53 am I'm not really a fan of the GUI - seems very "in your face", but I guess this is going to change, or maybe we'll even get option to customize what is displayed and when. Also, the FOV seems a bit restrictive, but again, I hope it will be customizable, at least on PCs.
HUD options are still being discussed internally, but we're always excited to hear more about this from everyone. There have been great cases across our channels for both standard and limited HUD options, so please keep these chats coming for us.

Also, thanks again for the reference back to a "free look" perspective and FOV slider. I'll get these to the team for feedback.
Blade0351 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:57 am My only criticism at the moment is that the teammates, while moving around, look pretty choppy. I'm sure y'all will clean this up but the player movement and the insurgents looked smooth and clean.
This was entirely due to a network connection issue during our last capture session. We're seeing plenty of feedback on this, and we're ironing it out.
aggimajera wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:35 am 1.) I don't particularly mind the out of focus effect on the gun, but a good deal of people do mind it. Is that a toggle-able feature?
I addressed your other questions above, but for this one: there aren’t any current plans to turn off the blurring on the weapon, but we’ll forward this to the design team!
munchuh wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:57 pm I thought Amper had mentioned an updated release timeline was going to be in this SITREP, but it doesn't appear to be so? I'm guessing we're looking towards Spring/Summer 2023.
We know this question in particular is extremely important for us to answer, but we're not ready to lock this in just yet. Please hang tight as we check some more things off our list to ensure we can deliver on a specific date.
ThatDudeKelso wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:46 pm Is it possible to be a part of the beta testing?
Yes, we'll share details on beta testing phases as these come up. We know everyone's anxious to get their hands on gameplay themselves, and we'll keep you guys posted.
Tazzadar3 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:59 am Will there be a pink mist effect when getting headshots, instead of a generic blood spray?
Thanks for checking in on this, Tazz. Yes, we had initial plans to dive deeper into AI and Marine tactics, but we decided to give everyone a preview of just one of our breaching mechanics before the holidays. We plan to dive deeper into this system with more SITREPs in the new year, too.

As for blood, we've mentioned that we're not going for excess amounts of gore. But, there are some things that we could do that you've suggested, and I'll pass this to the team.

We're very excited to see some of our work get picked up online, and the continued support from you folks on our forums certainly plays a role in that. We're very much looking forward to what 2023 will bring.
Thanks for the reply, Amper! I want to double down on the blood, here. Blood sprays, in a game like this, is the difference between good gunplay and bad gunplay. People bleed when they're shot. Even Squad, Insurgency Sandstorm, and Hell Let Loose really don't do it sufficiently, consistently.

I couldn't care less about gore, but take a look at some gameplay on YouTube of FEAR 1.

The splatters on the wall, especially when shooting someone through the head, seriously adds to the feel and environment of the game.

The types of games that don't care about this are Battlefield and Call of Duty, normie shooters that don't care about immersion and depth, because coke head 9 year olds are busy growing their KD.

I don't need to shoot limbs off (although I wouldn't mind minor gore/dismemberment), but lack of sufficient blood sprays would certainly kill a lot of immersion for me.

Regarding beta access, I wouldn't mind paying early at the full price of the game, to get to play during the beta.

I'm not sure I would pay extra to play early, I detest dev studios doing that stuff, because it comes off a bit...scummy, for lack of a better word, as beta feedback is intended to be helpful, plus paying full price at unfinished state. That being said, it depends what "full price" would be. I might not mind going some bucks over depending on that.
Unknown0351

AmperCamper wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:57 pm
To me the main character in a FPS is the weapon so to blur it would be the equivalent of blurring the main character in a movie. I hope this is reconsidered, at the very least give us an option to turn it off.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

munchuh wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:05 pm Thanks for the reply, Amper! I want to double down on the blood, here. Blood sprays, in a game like this, is the difference between good gunplay and bad gunplay. People bleed when they're shot. Even Squad, Insurgency Sandstorm, and Hell Let Loose really don't do it sufficiently, consistently.

I couldn't care less about gore, but take a look at some gameplay on YouTube of FEAR 1.

The splatters on the wall, especially when shooting someone through the head, seriously adds to the feel and environment of the game.

The types of games that don't care about this are Battlefield and Call of Duty, normie shooters that don't care about immersion and depth, because coke head 9 year olds are busy growing their KD.

I don't need to shoot limbs off (although I wouldn't mind minor gore/dismemberment), but lack of sufficient blood sprays would certainly kill a lot of immersion for me.
You just took me back with FEAR, which was certainly ahead of its time with features. Thanks for the reference and notes!
Unknown0351 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:52 am To me the main character in a FPS is the weapon so to blur it would be the equivalent of blurring the main character in a movie. I hope this is reconsidered, at the very least give us an option to turn it off.
Thanks for the context on this, too. There are cases for making this effect a toggle, and I'll be sure to include this in my report to the team.