SITREP: Breaching Preview

Series of developer diaries for Six Days in Fallujah.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: SITREP: Breaching Preview

AmperCamper wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:57 pm Thanks for all the comments and feedback so far, gang. I wanted to give everyone some time to voice their comments before jumping in. I'll tackle what I can!
Kean_1 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:15 am Also, I take it details like muzzle flash (especially indoors; in darkened environments) will be added later?
Our indoor muzzle flash isn't working properly at the moment, but we have plans to square this away.
I checked back in with the team and have some more context on this: indoor muzzle flashes are actually turned on, but they’re not visible right now because we've made significant lighting adjustments recently. We'll be re-tuning these alongside our lighting to get them back into the player experience.
Kean_1

AmperCamper wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:03 amI checked back in with the team and have some more context on this: indoor muzzle flashes are actually turned on, but they’re not visible right now because we've made significant lighting adjustments recently. We'll be re-tuning these alongside our lighting to get them back into the player experience.
Thanks for pinging back. That's good to hear. Obviously, the flash wouldn't be as noticeable outdoors in sunlight but it certainly would be in darkened areas, at night, etc. .....I dunno. Just one of those things I noticed was missing right away. Off topic but I remember shooting my S&W 629 at night for the first time and was more surprised than I thought I would be by the flash. With that gun, it was blinding. .....fun stuff. lol

As for the weapon blur effects, here's my take on it.....

While I get what devs are going for in relation to representing depth of field and what the shooter's eye is focusing on, I'm not really a fan of it's use. ....at least to this extent as seen in the video where I noticed even the front sight is blurred a bit. The thing is, it's always going to be a challenge representing things like this in a game where you can't change focus based on what the player is looking at, peripheral vision, etc., etc. ....short of VR which is getting better at stuff like this with every generation.

In reality, I could focus on the target or my front sight (for example) in an instant. You simply can't replicate that well (IMO) in a game played on a monitor. IMO, its better to leave it all in focus as the player will be looking / concentrating on the sight picture, etc. as they play. They naturally won't be concentrating on the foreground details when shooting but they may at other times and when it's all blurred out, it really doesn't feel natural. .....at least to me.

If this is an effect that devs feel should remain in the game, I would hope they at least tone it down overall and definitely keep the front sight in clear focus. ....or just offer an option to turn DOF off as mentioned.
LunaEklipsed

aggimajera wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:35 am You guys are doing amazing! I know this is still Alpha build but it looks very good for what is is.
Quick questions as to what you showed us so far:

1.) I don't particularly mind the out of focus effect on the gun, but a good deal of people do mind it. Is that a toggle-able feature?
2.) Is the UI toggleable for the names above the Marines' heads?
3.) The choppiness of the Marines' movement. Is that a network issue?

Otherwise, MAN that sound design and first person animation work! Seriously, you guys nailed interior gunshots.
Yea I'd have to agree on the out of focus weapons. While realism is appreciated and somewhat the point of this game, it's important to remember that this is still a game. If it's a feature that will negatively impact the players ability to enjoy the game, it may not be the best design. But of course that is just my viewpoint. Looks great otherwise, excited for future updates.