SITREP: Audio Design

Series of developer diaries for Six Days in Fallujah.
ShreddedNerd

Re: SITREP: Audio Design

I love these breakdowns. I'm impressed by the dedication to realism.

More than anything, I'm just shocked by the amount of traffic this game is getting. Two private videos are uploaded, only linked through the obscure website and within a couple days it's covered by several Youtubers.

It's clear there is interest in this project, and I don't think it's presumptuous to say the work here is important.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

staropal0972 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:15 am Marvelous! I got immediately immersed by the audio, especially when the grenade set off. Although the videos look fairly buggy, are these old footages? I am hoping so since we are very close to launch, though it does say pre alpha footage. Despite all that, I commend you as the team for taking the time and effort to master the soundscape of the game! It's some of the best sound design I've heard in a shooter!
Footage is more recent, but we have already identified some of the visual bugs here. I do want to remind everyone that our priority for this diary was audio. Initially, we wanted to let the audio speak for itself, but it needed context in some situations (and gameplay was our top community request). We'll be hammering these out across the board.
Tazzadar3 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:10 pm Sounds awesome, really excited for the sound design. Very good work indeed.
I am curious about one thing though.
If one of your teammates is under fire and he uses the radio, will you hear the gunshots through the radio?
That would honestly be so cool to hear and would be very immersive. Granted that may be very difficult to do so it's not a big deal if it isn't.
Adding this to our wishlist for the team. Thank you!
Tazzadar3 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:02 am Been re-watching these videos and I am loving the overall sound design. As you pointed out this game really does sound unique.
Feel free to let me know if I am nitpicking, but one thing I noticed during the room clearing with the insurgent running away.
Will the insurgents make noises when being shot because I didn't hear any and there was no thud when his body hit the ground, will this be something that is added in for the full release? I understand this is pre-alpha footage so all the bells and whistles may not be active at this time.

You guys rock, also when can we expect a pre-order? I want to support you guys as much as I can.
This is great feedback for us, so feel free to nitpick. Yes, the plan is to have Insurgents be more responsive and receptive to players. This includes actions and dialogue. No pre-order date to share right now, but you guys won't miss it.
Azariel wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:10 pm Something I wanted to add as well, because I think a few people have mentioned it is that, in the future I hope to see more feedback from the insurgents.

I'd like to direct the audio team to a game called Read Or Not made by Void Interactive. It's still being made but it has in my opinion some of the best audio design in a shooter. The weapons sound punchy and extremely loud which is something I've been craving in other games and I hope the team can take a look at that as another section of reference.
Another thing I'd like to see is that while the weapons sound great, I think some higher frequencies in the gunshots are needed because it sounds incredibly bassy and low. Maybe environmental sounds like bullet fragments hitting the floor as well as casings will add that bit more of needed "filling".
I know it's still in development! But I hope some of these suggestions reach the team!

Thanks for the SITREP!
Noted, thank you. We are very familiar with Ready or Not, and we appreciate the references here. I've replied to some specific bullet acoustics here, but we could always make improvements to the mix. Thanks!
ShreddedNerd wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:56 am I love these breakdowns. I'm impressed by the dedication to realism.

More than anything, I'm just shocked by the amount of traffic this game is getting. Two private videos are uploaded, only linked through the obscure website and within a couple days it's covered by several Youtubers.

It's clear there is interest in this project, and I don't think it's presumptuous to say the work here is important.
As the CM, I'm a little biased toward our forum. :D But, we want to thank everyone who participates in the discussions and leaves comments for us. Word about Six Days wouldn't spread without you guys, and I hope you all know how important you are to our development process. I've already passed chunks of feedback to our devs, and these threads can really kick-start their day.
Kridath

The audio sounds amazing!

Is the sounds of gun fire going to sound drastically different with shooting outside of the house vs inside of the house? Has the team been using real weapons such as the M16/ M4's, SAW's, etc to get authentic rifle sounds for the audio that is being put into the game? The audio sounds immersive and really good right now, but the more authentic things can sound the better.

Is the proximity of the voices going to be automatic or will it be a push to talk option? Will voices from teammates and enemies bounce off the walls and create an echo effect, saying they are in confined areas and voices and sounds travel easier inside vs outside. Will there be an earplug option that players can utilized to avoid their ear drums ringing?

Also, with the radios I am guessing that will have its own key bind. Is there a natural delay from when you push to talk through the comms or is it instant push and talk?

The more I see the more eager I am to see the final product! Its easy to see how much the team is putting into this game to make a nice and polished product.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Kridath wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:32 pm Is the sounds of gun fire going to sound drastically different with shooting outside of the house vs inside of the house? Has the team been using real weapons such as the M16/ M4's, SAW's, etc to get authentic rifle sounds for the audio that is being put into the game? The audio sounds immersive and really good right now, but the more authentic things can sound the better.
Yes, we are using real-weapon references. Gunfire does sound different inside versus outside, and this also depends on where the listener is positioned (inside or outside).
Kridath wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:32 pm Is the proximity of the voices going to be automatic or will it be a push to talk option? Will voices from teammates and enemies bounce off the walls and create an echo effect, saying they are in confined areas and voices and sounds travel easier inside vs outside. Will there be an earplug option that players can utilized to avoid their ear drums ringing?
Currently, proximity of voices is automatic with no push-to-talk, but there is an option to mute your mic if you don't want to use it. As usual, this is subject to change. Voices absolutely bounce off environments and create echoes. There is no earplug option, but you can mute tinnitus audio (this doesn't disable the other temporary hearing loss effects).
Kridath wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:32 pm Also, with the radios I am guessing that will have its own key bind. Is there a natural delay from when you push to talk through the comms or is it instant push and talk?
Yes, there is a small delay between pushing the radio keybind and when your voice starts transmitting.
OhioYankee

Amp I'm going to implore you guys to implement Push to Talk for proximity communications.
BadKarma

OhioYankee wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:23 pm Amp I'm going to implore you guys to implement Push to Talk for proximity communications.
I dislike having to push the button constantly, so I'm hoping there will be the 2 options, those who want to push to talk and for those who think is a pain to keep pressing the push to talk.
stormycrown22

i dont post on here as much as i use too but im still here viewing a decent amount, this sit rep is by far the best. brings out the excitement i felt when i first learned of this game. amazing work
EddyG

Wow, awesome SITREP guys! The work you are doing is awesome, next level stuff. I have not played Ready or Not yet, but I have been hoping for some terrifying gun sounds for I don't know how long. Everything in the SITREP shows you guys are tackling so many important areas.

Someone mentioned a thud when bodies fall, that would be a great touch and is needed. Battle chatter from your team or over the radio is extremely immersive, so I hope that will be included more and more. The video was awesome!
Maybe my favorite part of the audio design is that explosions and gunfire will be louder than your teammates voice. I can't wait to hear my friends trying to yell over the sounds of the battle and pissing off their wives!
Trood

I know there are a few threads about push to talk.

My take is, proximity chat is not push to talk. To talk on the radio is push to talk.

Proximity chat 100% should not be push to talk.

Also, with proxy chat, it appears the voice travel and walls have been accounted for.

When on the radio gunfire in the background would be a plus if present. Seeing as the radio appears to be shoulder mounted, an increase in rifle sway or reduced control when firing would be a nice touch.

This is A1 though 💯💯💯
TeufelHunden

AmperCamper wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:43 am
Kridath wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:32 pm Is the proximity of the voices going to be automatic or will it be a push to talk option? Will voices from teammates and enemies bounce off the walls and create an echo effect, saying they are in confined areas and voices and sounds travel easier inside vs outside. Will there be an earplug option that players can utilized to avoid their ear drums ringing?
Currently, proximity of voices is automatic with no push-to-talk, but there is an option to mute your mic if you don't want to use it. As usual, this is subject to change. Voices absolutely bounce off environments and create echoes. There is no earplug option, but you can mute tinnitus audio (this doesn't disable the other temporary hearing loss effects).
Great! I think having local/proximity talk without a push-to-talk (PTT) key is realistic. I think having this as the default, with the option to mute it, is a nice balance of realism without sacrificing some options for those who do not want this realistic experience of voice. Reactions and nervousness can cause people to talk a lot. Yelling out information is realistic. Adrenaline and fog of war can manifest in many ways. The yelling and audio of others will add that element, without PTT. Radio use having a delay and an extra "PTT" button adds realism also.

So excited! Thanks all.