SITREP: USMC Weapons

Series of developer diaries for Six Days in Fallujah.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: SITREP: USMC Weapons

Thanks for all the discussion on this so far! Jumping in to answer some questions:
Stickfigure21 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:57 am How about heavy / specialized weapons? Can you add anything on weapons mounted to vehicles? Or rocket launchers like the Javelin?

Grenades? Flash bangs? Smoke grenades? CS Gas? I’m sure you could do a whole sitrep on this topic alone.
We wanted to start with weapons as we believe these are the most interesting, but more on gadgetry is something we could look into. For now, confirming that we do have various grenade types and insurgent RPGs.
Raven wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:49 pm For this there should be a camera pan to the magazine pouch and the player should open it and then exchange the magazines visibly. This would also provide some interactivity with the realistic gear and the gear would be more than simple static graphics.
  • Changing the mode of fire (single, burst, full-auto) with the respective animations of changing of the switch.
  • Adjusting the scope or other adjustable aim helper with animations similar to Sniper Ghost Warrior
  • Opening/Closing of scope covers (this could be a gameplay element as well i.e. environmental obstruction like sandstorms could dirty the scope and the cover could prevent it. If the cover was not closed then the scope should be dirty and the player should have a visual obstruction and leading to....
  • ...cleaning of scopes after environmental obstructions (sandstorms)
We've previously shared we didn't have plans for a freelook option (which includes panning during reloads). Still, I'm passing this point to the rest of the team as a suggestion. Players will find themselves in CQB situations more often than not, and so long range scopes won't apply as much. With that being said, more interactivity on weapons is a cool idea. Thank you, Raven!

Lastly, we hear you guys loud and clear on weapon slings. If they are featured, we would like them to function but we still don't have plans for these right now.
aggimajera

Love the reload animation’s progress, and certainly appreciate the info on the weaponry so far. Few questions.

1.) Zip ties is such a simple yet important thing I’m shocked and embarrassed none of us suggested it. Has dummy cord been considered as well? Worked just as good.

2.) Is Six Days going to include incendiary items like signal flares, or have specialized rounds for the 203 like smoke or star-cluster rounds?

3.) Has any thought been given to stoppages?
Tazzadar3

I am pretty sure they are thinking of adding in a free look feature for pc (probably only discussed), so if you want to watch the reload animation that will probably be your only way.
I don't think making your character look down for every reload would be good game design, that's why no games do that. It will just take you out of the action when you should be keeping your eyes on your targets and your surroundings.
tacmac87

First post on these forums, so no pressure 😂.

The weapon models do look very impressive, you can tell alot of hard work has gone into them.

However there are a few glaring things that stand out to me.

BOLTS ON CARRY HANDLE:-
I noticed the lack of bolts on left hand side of the detachable carry handle in the first gameplay trailer release over a year ago. At the time I put it down to the footage being such an early build of the game, that the m16a4 model hadn't been anywhere near finalised yet. But now with this new footage over a year later, and the bolts are still absent on the carry handle, but yet present on the acog, i find a bit odd.

MAGAZINE COLOUR:-
The colour of the STANAG mag is too matt black in colour, it should be more grey like that pictured above.

Also (and I know a lot of other people have mentioned this already), but slings. I can't recall any fps or fps tactical shooter in recent memory that actually lets you clearly see that your rifle has a sling attached to it, both when weapon is in use or when weapon is slung on your front or slung muzzle down on your back. It would be amazing if you could be the first game to pull it off.
See reference picture below of 3 point sling (complete relic of the past, that thankfully we've moved away from now, but was very much the standard issue, especially for conventional units at the time.)

Other little things like green gaffers/ hundred mile an hour tape, and the use of 550 para cord to dummy cord down accessories such as sights, vis/IR lasers and torches etc. (I realise that was already mentioned in the quote at the beginning of this news update, just hoping these little Excellent details are going to be in the final weapon models)

Theres a lot more I'd like to mention about the recently released video in the latest news update, but to stop this post from being too long I'll save it for another. Thanks.
Unknown0351

So about the vertical grip will the hand actually grip it and if so will you be moving it closer to the magazine. Most of us had our vertical grip closer to the magazine because it offered better control.
Blade0351

Unknown0351 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:27 am So about the vertical grip will the hand actually grip it and if so will you be moving it closer to the magazine. Most of us had our vertical grip closer to the magazine because it offered better control.
Totally agree, brother. It's a little to far out there especially on that 20" barrel. Btw, I didn't see a SMAW on there which is disappointing and maybe you feel the same.
staropal0972

Blade0351 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:48 pm
Unknown0351 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:27 am So about the vertical grip will the hand actually grip it and if so will you be moving it closer to the magazine. Most of us had our vertical grip closer to the magazine because it offered better control.
Totally agree, brother. It's a little to far out there especially on that 20" barrel. Btw, I didn't see a SMAW on there which is disappointing and maybe you feel the same.
The SITREP stated the list isn't an exhaustive one at that. Let's hold onto hope and say the demolition weapons will still be a part of the game.
Unknown0351

Yeah SMAW and M240 I think are needed at the very least. There is a practical use for the SMAW even without building destruction in the game. And that is with the SMAW-NE round, after the First Battle of Fallujah in April during the summer our battalion Gunner instructed us to shoot this round through the window. So this could be used in the game without building destruction. Instead of leveling part or all of the building it could eliminate the targets inside if it’s shot through the window. If it’s not shot through the window then it would not eliminate the targets inside the building.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Thanks for keeping the feedback rolling everyone! These comments have inspired various conversations on things like weapon jams and slings. Keep in mind this isn't a confirmation, but we're having some good chats at the studio.
aggimajera wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:50 am Love the reload animation’s progress, and certainly appreciate the info on the weaponry so far. Few questions.

1.) Zip ties is such a simple yet important thing I’m shocked and embarrassed none of us suggested it. Has dummy cord been considered as well? Worked just as good.

2.) Is Six Days going to include incendiary items like signal flares, or have specialized rounds for the 203 like smoke or star-cluster rounds?

3.) Has any thought been given to stoppages?
Zip-ties were heavily used alongside paracords (which may be synonymous with dummy cord if I'm understanding you correctly). Currently, the 203 fires high-explosive rounds. Smokes could be an interesting addition here.
tacmac87 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:36 am BOLTS ON CARRY HANDLE:-
I noticed the lack of bolts on left hand side of the detachable carry handle in the first gameplay trailer release over a year ago. At the time I put it down to the footage being such an early build of the game, that the m16a4 model hadn't been anywhere near finalised yet. But now with this new footage over a year later, and the bolts are still absent on the carry handle, but yet present on the acog, i find a bit odd.
We appreciate all your comments with your first post! Jumping in to confirm this being included going forward. As for magazine coloring and green tape, I've passed these suggestions to the team.
Thanks for pointing this out. I've sent this to our team for review.
Unknown0351 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:09 am Yeah SMAW and M240 I think are needed at the very least. There is a practical use for the SMAW even without building destruction in the game. And that is with the SMAW-NE round, after the First Battle of Fallujah in April during the summer our battalion Gunner instructed us to shoot this round through the window. So this could be used in the game without building destruction. Instead of leveling part or all of the building it could eliminate the targets inside if it’s shot through the window. If it’s not shot through the window then it would not eliminate the targets inside the building.
Thanks for the notes on these. We're not confirming any new weapons specifically right now, but staro is correct in pointing out this list is not exhaustive. There are more USMC weapons included in Six Days.
krzy

Howdy!

Regarding weapon models, it seems to me that the M16A4 quad rail is not modelled after the USMC-issue KAC M5 rail system. The asset in game lacks cutouts characteristic for M5 rail, which allow the bottom rail to be removed and replaced with M203 grenade launcher. Here is photo of actual M16A4 with KAC M5 rail (one can also see discoloration on the rail and lower receiver which often happens during anodizing process).

Good luck with the development - I hope to see soon some more peaks into the game state!