Encouragement

Share suggestions and feedback here.
Probie24

Encouragement

I was still on active duty in the Marines the first time this game was announced and I was so pleased to hear that it's back. I just wanted to take some time to express my hopefulness for this game and to give some positive encouragement to the dev team (especially with all the crap press I see the game getting again).

I only served for four years and never saw heavy combat, but I have always respected the hell out of every soldier, sailor, airmen, and Marine that was involved in the fight for Fallujah. I have no doubt that your team is doing everything it can to honor these people, their sacrifices, and their stories.
I know many people in the media and game industry are already writing this game off as propaganda or some glorification of warfare, but I want you all to know that there are many of us who are truly grateful that these stories are going to be told. I know that no form of media can truly capture warfare in its entirety; that a game like this may not tackle the kinds of big questions about should we be here or what the rules of warfare are. I also don't think most individual service members think about these things during actual combat. I'm reminded of a quote from the movie Black Hawk Down,

"When I go home people'll ask me, "Hey Hoot, why do you do it man? What, you some kinda war junkie?" You know what I'll say? I won't say a goddamn word. Why? They won't understand...it's about the men next to you, and that's it."

From everything I have seen it seems your focus is on these individuals and their stories and I cannot wait to see it at its completion. Take all the time you need to get it right and I'm sure this community will be here to support you 110%. I wish you all the best in your endeavors.

Semper Fi,
Cpl. Ward ('07-'11)
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: Encouragement

Probie24 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:35 pm From everything I have seen it seems your focus is on these individuals and their stories and I cannot wait to see it at its completion.
Yes, we are not speaking for these individuals but rather letting them tell their own stories. The documentary portions of the game are very powerful in that they showcase actual accounts of what was presented to us and can provide some larger context. Our game is complex, in so many more ways than one.

There are and will continue to be many challenges associated with our project, but we will continue to do our best to pay tribute to the stories we have been given. It's wonderful to have you here, Cpl. Ward. Thank you for all the support.