No Friendly AI? REALLY?!?!

Share suggestions and feedback here.
NoFriendlyAI?!?!

No Friendly AI? REALLY?!?!

It is extremely disappointing to learn that there will be no friendly AI upon the early access launch. The game launches for 40 dollars and has been in development for years. The fact that it's releasing with one of the three game modes is bad enough, but having no friendly AI excludes those of us who don't have a large friend list on steam. We all jnow how bad it can be jumping into a random lobby on a tactical shooter. So basically players who don't have tons of steam friends who bought the game, we will pay the same price for a less fun and accessible experience. Games need to stop forcing players to play with team mates in order to actually get full retail value out of game. I looked forward to this for years only to be extremely disappointed at the launch. I'll hold off till you guys finish the game. Maybe don't release it, if it isn't coming with features promised to us.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: No Friendly AI? REALLY?!?!

Thanks for joining the forums and voicing your concerns with us.

We understand that launching into Early Access without friendly AI hurts solo players. There's more context around this decision in our FAQ, but please know it's one we didn't make lightly. We'd rather delay their implementation than put bots into the game right now when they're not ready.

Matchmaking cannot replace a roster of friends, but we're experimenting with clever ways of ensuring matchmade groups are best set up for success (ie, making the most experienced player the fireteam leader). We're open to feedback and suggestions on this, too.
Kean_1

@NoFriendlyAI?!?!

This June launch is not the full game, it's early access. They even tell you what that means in relation to included features, etc. It's your choice whether you think the game is worth jumping into now, a later date or waiting until full release when all of those components will be available in the "full retail", complete game. Early access isn't being sold at full price.

I get the frustration as many of us wanted to get our hands on this game for quite some time and it's been a blow especially to those of us on Playstation who have no choice but to wait until next year. ....but this early access is being launched for the reasons Victura outlined which (IMO) make sense.

Personally, I think you are still in a fortunate position as new features will be introduced throughout the early access period. At some point, that will likely include friendly AI so you could still get your hands on the game with the aspects you want sooner than the rest of us. Keep in mind also that a project timeline is to be released in the coming weeks that may shed more light on what you can expect.

Another way to think of it is that early access doesn't change the fact that the game release is still about a year off. IMO, it's kind of pointless to be mad about EA being released now without features you want as the alternative is nothing at all. .....which would mean none of us would be able to get our hands on it let alone be able to better help Victura deliver a more refined, final product.
hammerfist

NoFriendlyAI?!?! wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:42 am It is extremely disappointing to learn that there will be no friendly AI upon the early access launch. The game launches for 40 dollars and has been in development for years. The fact that it's releasing with one of the three game modes is bad enough, but having no friendly AI excludes those of us who don't have a large friend list on steam. We all jnow how bad it can be jumping into a random lobby on a tactical shooter. So basically players who don't have tons of steam friends who bought the game, we will pay the same price for a less fun and accessible experience. Games need to stop forcing players to play with team mates in order to actually get full retail value out of game. I looked forward to this for years only to be extremely disappointed at the launch. I'll hold off till you guys finish the game. Maybe don't release it, if it isn't coming with features promised to us.
I was bummed too, and I'll also be holding out until teammate AI is added but you should keep in mind that the early access period will be about 12 months, it's not indefinite like is common in the industry, so I assume that teammate AI update isn't very far off from the initial release since it's an essential feature. The devs also make it sound like they will implement finished features as opposed to implementing features that aren't fully developed to continue developing them as time goes on like is common in EA. It's a unique approach they are taking and given how good the gameplay looks I think they know what they're doing.
desertjedi

I was really surprised to find out that you were going to incorporate friendly AI given how difficult that is to actually get right. So few games do this due to the complexity of developing capable AI and maybe based on the actual demand for it. But big, big kudos to you for taking on that big task because I know how frustrating it can be to join a server with a bunch of...ahem...morons? I can't wait to see your implementation of "SWAT 5". :D
ethantokes

This issue is made even worse without the ability to preselect fire team lead during matchmaking. There is basically no leadership, at least in the intended roles. I am having to lead every game and usually from something like an autorifleman kit because It doesn't use a preselectable fire team lead system similar to squad, hell let loose or other games like this. Pug lobbies are basically random who gets leadership rn(technically goes to whoever has the most in game xp, but that means nothing for leadership, usually dont even have a mic) and that is a big issue. I am looking forward to the AI more than I thought I would be because it is hard to get the full experience right now.
HaxRet96

Maybe you should add additional training map with enemy bots and normal missions. And in this mode, when you die, you can respawn automatically as a new soldier (during the same match - no loading screen). That may allow solo players to enjoy the game and the map. Also, it won't take a lot of work for you I guess. Just additional training map with missions, enemies and availability to respawn in order to continue the mission.
chef_423

PLEASE NO AI. Humans only. Get some friends or just play. Working with others in real life builds character.

My 2 cents.