Major Oversight Found In Gameplay Trailer

Share suggestions and feedback here.
coleawtrey

Major Oversight Found In Gameplay Trailer

First of all I'd like to thank the small dev team for bringing a exciting new game to market. I watched the gameplay trailer and liked the game's style however I noted an oversight made during the gameplay. I believe this oversight was made because likely due to the developers not having any experience with firearms so I will explain the issue as simply as I can. I am not trying to be insulting with that statement however anyone who has shot a gun would have noted this issue before it was implemented. I will explain the oversight in the context of CQB and not long range shooting.

The front and rear sights on a gun will form what is known as a sightline (where you are aiming). For bullets to impact where you want them to in, the sightline and barrel line (imaginary line formed in the direction the barrel in pointing) of the gun must be close to parallel with each other. If the sightline is converging downward toward the barrel line then the bullets will impact above your sightline. If your sightline is diverging upward away from the barrel line then the bullets will impact below your sight line. In the gameplay trailer the soldier is looking over the top of the Acog and is forming a sightline by looking down at the front iron sight. The issue is that the top of the Acog is taller than the front sight. Thus the true sightline is angled downward and toward the barrel line. As a result the bullets should impact above where the soldier is aiming. However the developers made it so the bullets impact where the soldier is aiming despite the barrel line and sightline not being parallel. If this explanation is confusing please just go rent a rifle at a range and try to shoot it with the technique shown in the gameplay. It will click instantly why it doesn't make sense.

Feel free to respond with any questions
Jeremy28

Re: Major Oversight Found In Gameplay Trailer

I think I understand your statement. In the gameplay video the player seems to look over the acog and at the front sight post which would put the rifle at odd angle. Are you saying 1 they shouldn’t look over the acog and at the front sight, or 2 shouldn’t look over the acog at all. From my experience when using an acog in cqb you can shoot over the acog using the cap on top as a point of reference.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: Major Oversight Found In Gameplay Trailer

Thanks for joining the forums and writing this up for us.

We see we're you're coming from, but sights are never truly parallel to the barrel because then they would ALWAYS be inaccurate. There is always a focal distance where the sight converges with the barrel. This is farther away for the acog much closer for AOS (aiming-over-sight).