The Ugliness of War: Anatomy, Gore, and death

Share suggestions and feedback here.
Trood

The Ugliness of War: Anatomy, Gore, and death

Anatomy, Gore and death (if the plan is for rag doll deaths please disregard): consider looking at different caliber rounds and their Characteristics upon impact to the target. This will take research to understand and may be a head of it’s time, but I believe understanding human anatomy, the bullet outcomes and the damage they cause will shed light on the ugliness of combat. Understanding how a bullet interacts with different parts of the body is important if the team plans to proceed. Here is a video that highlights a simplistic approach to bleeding and different flows of blood.
Your best information on this will come from the medical community…
I have yet to see a game get it right. Rockstar’s red dead had an honorable attempt. The goal with what I am mentioning is not glorify death, but emphasize that death is a harsh reality, regardless of position.

When looking at stages of death, past titles have suppressed this aspect of combat. Often rag dog or instant death. I firmly believe they do so because this often the most traumatic in combat. Death is not always immediate. Depending on wounds, it can be prolonged yet certain. I won’t go detailed into this aspect; but where this added I would encourage the option to turn off gore.

I hope this is insightful and thank you for taking the time to read this.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: The Ugliness of War: Anatomy, Gore, and death

Thanks for taking the time to share this, Trood. While we don't have any specifics to share on a medical system at the moment, this is a very helpful resource.

It's also worth noting that we don't plan on featuring high levels of gore. You can find more in this thread.
Trood

Amper,

Thanks for directing me towards the pervious forum. My apologies on the double post.

As I read the thread I noticed my thread post was not exactly clear. I’m not suggesting a gears of war gore or let’s rewind to call of duty word at war (I think that was 2009(I’m getting old 😂)) of course those games were over the top with over Exaggerated gore. That is not what I was suggesting.

What I was trying to portray or suggest is a realistic level of gore. I know it is a difficult line to Teeter and I know SDIF is already pushing the envelope with personal recounts of a difficult and sensitive battle.

But, SDIF is, has been, and will stay in the hot pot of controversy. With or without “realistic gore”.

However, I would be a liar if I said, I don’t understand the other side of coin. That being if the visual or audible sounds during the loss of life detract or distract from the event of course it would make sense to detract/minimize gore, the dying process etc

Anyways, I’ll step off the soap box.

Regardless of the “Gore” this is the first video game in a long time that I will preorder, as I assume, many others will too!

Thank you again for all that you do!!!!
staropal0972

Even if the game's primary focus is not on gore or dismemberment, I'd like the blood and gore to be at a realistic level. I absolutely agree with Trood, without the gore or blood many viewers aren't going to get the message across, and it will come across as sanitized, like you said you don't want it to be sanitized, and you wouldn't leave out the severity of the war. Is there anything else to add on to following that previous post?
Kean_1

I get the desire to make SDiF more realistic in many respects and I for one am all about that. It's what I like in any military, tactical shooter personally. ....but at the end of the day, SDiF is a game and as such will also have to be a fun, enjoyable gameplay experience so there are going to be elements that will need to be balanced, tempered, etc. (to an extent) with that in mind. Even more so in this game given it's reputation.

As mentioned, I think we all know the target that's been painted on SDiF's back. I think they need to take care in bringing too much focus to elements like gore in the gameplay that can be easy fodder for detractors. Besides that, I never considered realistic levels of gore as an integral component necessary for immersion in games. I think they can still come up with a solution that will look / feel believable while not appearing over the top and still make the players feel emotionally involved in the stories they want to tell.
Raven

Will your blood and gore system provide realistic bleeding and wounds (more realistic). Or just be decals that spawns and despawns (like in any other games [less realistic]). You should really utilize the new gen of console and latest PC-Hardware for such effects.

Edit (the previous content was already posted in a different thread (rag doll physics))
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Raven wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:24 pm Will your blood and gore system provide realistic bleeding and wounds (more realistic). Or just be decals that spawns and despawns (like in any other games [less realistic]). You should really utilize the new gen of console and latest PC-Hardware for such effects.
While we don't have plans for high levels of gore, we plan to take advantage of next-gen hardware.

As a side note, perhaps there's a SITREP down the road to address all the interest in our medical systems and everything that goes along with it. Full disclosure, this isn't something we'd do in the near future (as there are other things we want to talk about first), but it's on the list.