Actions that should take longer.

Share suggestions and feedback here.
Blade0351

Actions that should take longer.

Hey so I thought of this wehn I saw people were bitching about the grenade button on the new battlefield game. It'd be more difficult for them to just throw them as they run but I think that in this game you shouldn't be able to do that.

When I was in, the grenades we carried were secured in a pouch and you can't just immediately grab it and throw it in .5 seconds like in these games. I think it's be cool to make it a lot more deliberate and take some time to actually get the grenade from the pouch so you can't just immediately have it in your hand and toss it. Just a thought.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: Actions that should take longer.

I see where you're coming from. Thanks for suggesting this one.

Any other specific actions that you feel fall into this category?
Blade0351

AmperCamper wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:25 pm I see where you're coming from. Thanks for suggesting this one.

Any other specific actions that you feel fall into this category?
I would say anything really that requires the player to pull out equipment. Let's say you want to check the map of the AO. Actually have the guy take a knee and pull out the map or GPS (whatever it is) and look over it. That would force players to think about setting security in a combat zone and not just pulling it up while running across the street.

If you are including binos, same thing as far as getting them out of their pouch. Stuff like that I guess where you can't just immediately get your rifle back up in a split second if you're taking the time to do another task with your hands.
Kean_1

Blade0351 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:21 pm Hey so I thought of this wehn I saw people were bitching about the grenade button on the new battlefield game. It'd be more difficult for them to just throw them as they run but I think that in this game you shouldn't be able to do that.

When I was in, the grenades we carried were secured in a pouch and you can't just immediately grab it and throw it in .5 seconds like in these games. I think it's be cool to make it a lot more deliberate and take some time to actually get the grenade from the pouch so you can't just immediately have it in your hand and toss it. Just a thought.
Excellent point.

I recently had a discussion about this with friends while playing Insurgency Sandstorm. Someone complained about not having a grenade button. You actually have to go through a weapon selection screen to equip it first. I prefer this and honestly would want something more like you describe.

This kind of mechanic only adds to the immersion and helps simulate having to pull a grenade or other equipment from pouches, packs, etc. IRL. It's also add a levels of tension as you are more vulnerable during this time. It also encourages team work as mentioned.
WeaponX

My only fear with this is being stuck in an animation. I am all for being able to equip a grenade and making it more deliberate. It would add to the realism of the game for sure. For example though, I want to be able to cancel the equip animation and switch back to my firearm in a moments notice. For example, if I am getting ready to breach or pulling a grenade out to toss over a wall and an insurgent comes around, I should be able to cancel the animation mid animation and transition back to my firearm. I think it would be super annoying to be stuck in said animation and get clapped.

As far as other actions that should be more deliberate: If you have an AT4 in the game, please make the animations more deliberate to pull out said AT4 and actually prep it to fire, aka pulling the cocking lever, setting up the sights, and when you fire depressing the safety then pulling trigger.
Blade0351

Hey Amper awhile you did like my follow up suggestions for actions that should take longer and I was just curious if these have been addressed in gameplay and if so, could you share any details? I also agree with the other post on this thread saying the action should be something you can exit if you need to immediately get your rifle back up and in the fight.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Blade0351 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:11 pm Hey Amper awhile you did like my follow up suggestions for actions that should take longer and I was just curious if these have been addressed in gameplay and if so, could you share any details? I also agree with the other post on this thread saying the action should be something you can exit if you need to immediately get your rifle back up and in the fight.
Hey Blade,

Without going into too much detail yet, grenades are a great example. The action of throwing these is slower and more methodical than other games, and they can be cancelled by weapon swapping right now.
Blade0351

AmperCamper wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:13 am
Blade0351 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:11 pm Hey Amper awhile you did like my follow up suggestions for actions that should take longer and I was just curious if these have been addressed in gameplay and if so, could you share any details? I also agree with the other post on this thread saying the action should be something you can exit if you need to immediately get your rifle back up and in the fight.
Hey Blade,

Without going into too much detail yet, grenades are a great example. The action of throwing these is slower and more methodical than other games, and they can be cancelled by weapon swapping right now.
Hey Amper I appreciate you sharing this detail! It's awesome to see how much y'all take suggestions seriously and implement them.
EddyG

Amper, this is a great thread. I would like to throw my 2 cents in.

Love the idea of these actions taking a realistic amount of time. A few things you want to be careful of that was mentioned above.
1. You want this to be an animation. Going through a menu system just breaks immersion and should only be used as a last resort.
2. You have to be able to cancel the action mid-animation if you get ambushed.

Great thread guys.