Make optics/sights realistic! (ACOGs, MARS, etc.)

Share suggestions and feedback here.
Treesarefun

Make optics/sights realistic! (ACOGs, MARS, etc.)

(If a developer actually reads this it will make my day) The developers should have hands on experience with optics (Trijicon RCO/ACOG) to make sure they are accurately represented. You might think that optics are an oddly specific thing to be making a post about, but think about it- 90% of the time you are engaging enemies in a tactical shooter, you are aiming down sights. Unrealistic or poorly modeled reticles can make a game feel cheap and unsatisfying.

Scale the reticles realistically. That means whatever you see when looking through a real ACOG should be similar to what you see in game. ACOGs also have a MASSIVE field of view and crystal clear glass. That means no "toilet paper tube" model where you slap a reticle on a long tube (See COD4s ACOG; that is what NOT to do). Eye relief and eyebox effects would also make the game more immersive. Modern Warfare 2019 implemented those and some optics look almost photorealistic.

Here is what a real ACOG looks like on an M16/M4: (EDIT: Apparently the model of ACOG used in Fallujah did NOT have the long black horizontal lines either side of the Chevron... I can't find any pictures looking through the 2004 ACOG)

ImageImage

ITL MARS optics were also used by some, for those saying it was only ACOGs and irons. (Image below is a Marine in Fallujah using an ITL MARS sight)

Good games to take notes off of are: Ground Branch, Modern Warfare 2019 (it has amazing optical distortion, eye relief, and fisheye effects), Arma 3's RHS ACOG, and Squad.

Also, if a dev reads this, could you tell me if you are using Picture in Picture or normal 3D scopes? PiP may be unattainable for consoles. But you can add a fisheye filter like MW 2019 and achieve a similar effect.
Last edited by Treesarefun on Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
Oxide

Re: Make optics/sights realistic! (ACOGs, CCOs, etc.)

they are going to have acogs i believe but remember this game takes place in 2004
staropal0972

Only ACOGs and iron sights as far as I can tell.
Treesarefun

I guess CCOs were not used in Fallujah. My point still stands with ACOGs though, they gotta be realistic.
Last edited by Treesarefun on Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Treesarefun

Oxide wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:17 pm they are going to have acogs i believe but remember this game takes place in 2004
The CCO (Aimpoint M2) was adopted by the military in 2000. Idk if they were used Fallujah though. There are some images of Marines in Fallujah with MARS and C-MORE optics as well. Not that they were widespread, but they were used.
Treesarefun

staropal0972 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:29 pm Only ACOGs and iron sights as far as I can tell.
I thought Marines used CCOs too but I guess that was just the Army.
Unknown0351

Re: Make optics/sights realistic! (ACOGs, etc.)

One correction with the ACOG’s in the screenshot is we didn’t have the horizontal notches on the ones we had in 2004 those came in 2005. Marine Corps Force Recon had Aimpoint red dot reflex sights on their M4’s in 2002 so it’s highly likely they still used them in 2004. They did use a different mounting bracket than what the Army used though. Marines in 3/5 had the ITL MARS red dot sights when they relived us (2/1) in September 2004.

One Marine in my company bought his own EOTech Holographic Sight but the higher ups wouldn’t let him use it, maybe because no bore sight data but I don’t know.

In regard to CQB with the M16A4 with an ACOG and with iron sights we aimed over the front sight post but this looked like it will be included in the game because it was used in the gameplay trailer. I’ll post about this later looking for conformation because this is very important.
Treesarefun

Re: Make optics/sights realistic! (ACOGs, etc.)

Unknown0351 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:25 am One correction with the ACOG’s in the screenshot is we didn’t have the horizontal notches on the ones we had in 2004 those came in 2005. Marine Corps Force Recon had Aimpoint red dot reflex sights on their M4’s in 2002 so it’s highly likely they still used them in 2004. They did use a different mounting bracket than what the Army used though. Marines in 3/5 had the ITL MARS red dot sights when they relived us (2/1) in September 2004.

One Marine in my company bought his own EOTech Holographic Sight but the higher ups wouldn’t let him use it, maybe because no bore sight data but I don’t know.

In regard to CQB with the M16A4 with an ACOG and with iron sights we aimed over the front sight post but this looked like it will be included in the game because it was used in the gameplay trailer. I’ll post about this later looking for conformation because this is very important.
Thanks for the info. I couldn't find any screenshots of the specific RCO used in 2004 so I just used the TA31 model which is used today. As far as I know, the reticles are pretty much identical except for the horizontal markings, like you said. Hopefully they model them accurately.

And for CQB I agree that you should be able to look over your sight post. That way you arent limited to only inaccurate hipfire or a 4x zoom when using the ACOG. I wonder how they will let you switch between the two.
Unknown0351

Re: Make optics/sights realistic! (ACOGs, MARS, etc.)

I also recall the chevron was the only part red and illuminated, the whole elevation notches would have been black and not illuminated. It looks that the new ones have the top of the elevation red and illuminated so this would be the other minor difference.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: Make optics/sights realistic! (ACOGs, MARS, etc.)

I missed this! Thanks for sharing with references, and we appreciate the input from everyone else.

The team has taken steps to ensure you guys are happy with the technique we're using for scopes. It's a good trade off between the "too expensive" PIP and the "totally BS" toilet paper tube. Examples to follow later.