Reloads, round management, and weapon malfunction

Share suggestions and feedback here.
Trood

Reloads, round management, and weapon malfunction

Here are some suggestions I have longed for in a game when talking about round management and weapon functionality.

30+1 (magazine + round in chamber)

Generally speaking, prior to engagement, it is expected to have a round in the chamber with a Full magazine (30+1). If you were to shoot off a few rounds and reload, again you would have 30+1.
This makes things seamless as you can continue fire following reload without clambering a round. Additionally, you have the "panick" round which is the single round. (Asking for the panick round is to much in my opinion, but needless to say would be jaw dropping)

If you were to empty all rounds being fed; the slide would lock back, (Generally, and dependent on weapon variant/platform) a new magazine would be entered, and the slide released. (AR variant Generally slap or pull, would be cool to see both techniques used dependent on situation) in this situation you would then have 29+1 and the reload would take longer... very critical when looking at the seconds in a tactical situation.

ROUND MANAGEMENT

Fixed number of magazines prior to mission.
Let's use 10 magazines with 30 rounds.

If you shoot six rounds and reload, when that magazine is reloaded again, or hits the cycle it now has 24.

If this method is adopted different types of reloads could be considered!

RELOAD TYPES WITH ROUND MANAGEMENT

The tap of the reload button (faster reload) Causes the magazine to dropped to the floor and not retained until retrieved later.

Holding of the reload button, causes the magazine to be retained, but the Magazine then has to be placed back into the kit. And takes a bit longer

Every magazine maintains its indivual 30 rounds.

Consider, No pooling of ammunition example: 300 rounds in call of duty

Weapon malfunction & Jams.

The last game I saw get this right was far cry... YEARS AGO.
The encorporation of jams would be incredible, again, tying back to magazine management. M4, m16a1 etc are notorious for the double feed jam, dud rounds Etc. strike a double feed jam? Loose the rounds that were cleared to return to function.
Worst fear possible is a jam and a bind. Bad combo, heart racing!

Anyways, enough about my ramble. I hope these suggestions are recived well and a wish would be to see a portion of this in game.

Keep up the great work!
Last edited by Trood on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staropal0972

Re: Tactical Reloads

Ah yes, I hope this is in it.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: Reloads, round management, and weapon malfunction

Thanks for this, Trood! There's tons of perspective here, and I appreciate you taking the time to do a write-up.
Trood wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:18 pm The tap of the reload button (faster reload) Causes the magazine to dropped to the floor and not retained until retrieved later.

Holding of the reload button, causes the magazine to be retained, but the Magazine then has to be placed back into the kit. And takes a bit longer
Not confirming anything here, but this has been discussed with the team before. Cool to see it bumped!
Trood wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:18 pm Weapon malfunction & Jams.
The encorporation of jams would be incredible, again, tying back to magazine management. M4, m16a1 etc are notorious for the double feed jam, dud rounds Etc. strike a double feed jam? Loose the rounds that were cleared to return to function.
Posing a question here to everyone: would you find malfunctions frustrating or off-putting? Would you trade convenience for something more authentic but cumbersome?
staropal0972

Weapon malfunctions need to be a part of the game, I'd like to see it play a role in terms of authenticity of what happened during the battle. We also have not seen that mechanic in other games, and I think it is a good idea to circle back to it. About anything else to add: I'd say go all out. If you guys are trying to make the most authentic shooter possible, do anything to make that happen. I don't regret a thing about that.
OhioYankee

A well maintained weapon rarely malfunctions, this needs to be kept in mind. Most malfunctions are either shooter induced or because of a bad round/primer.
Trood

Yes in theory, range day you are absolutely right.

But, If you're moving throughout an engagement the risk of jam/malfunction is exponentially greater than a range day. Especially when taking into account the debries that are in the Air.

I do agree a majority of malfunctions are result of user error. However, there are plenty of malfunctions that are not.

Bad Magazines (debatable on user error)
Dirt/dust/mud
Over packed/under packed rounds
Weapon gets to hot (debatable on user error)
Really are endless

Really are a lot of reason for a malfunction.

I'm not saying I want to see it every mission, but an independent 1/100 odds of malfunction per round fired would not be a bad case for a game attempting a to simulate a combat experience.
Trood

This video highlights the main malfunctions seen with the AR platform and along with techniques to clear.

You also could ask the interviewees If they encountered them in the event and what techniques they used.

Lastly, I'll have to find it but I have Literature about clearing malfunctions from my time in service. Let me know if this is something you and your team would like to have.
AmperCamper wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:45 pm Thanks for this, Trood! There's tons of perspective here, and I appreciate you taking the time to do a write-up.
Trood wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:18 pm The tap of the reload button (faster reload) Causes the magazine to dropped to the floor and not retained until retrieved later.

Not confirming anything here, but this has been discussed with the team before. Cool to see it bumped!
Posing a question here to everyone: would you find malfunctions frustrating or off-putting? Would you trade convenience for something more authentic but cumbersome?
BobTank63

Trood, your proposed reload system sounds great. I don’t know about jams though, could harm the player experience (imagine almost finishing a level but RNG screws you at the last minute, not very fun). I’d say the devs should ask the interviewees if they frequently experienced jams in Fallujah. If they happened a lot, put them in, but if they happened once in a blue moon, I don’t think it would be worthwhile.
Edit: Autocorrect messed up Trood’s name.
Last edited by BobTank63 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BobTank63

AmperCamper wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:45 pm Thanks for this, Trood! There's tons of perspective here, and I appreciate you taking the time to do a write-up.

To respond to your question, personally I would find them frustrating. However, if jams frequently happened in Fallujah, I wouldn’t mind them being in the game.
Unknown0351

Speaking only for myself, my M16A4 never jammed or had a double feed during the 1st Battle of Fallujah and during the summer of 2004 in the Fallujah AO. Never recall having the M16A2 having a problem either.

Mk 19 is another story if this is even included in the game, the one we had jammed or had a miss feed quite a lot one day but as I recall CAAT platoon said this one was a P.O.S. and finally replaced it.