Reloads, round management, and weapon malfunction

Share suggestions and feedback here.
aggimajera

Re: Reloads, round management, and weapon malfunction

Trood wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:18 pm Here are some suggestions I have longed for in a game when talking about round management and weapon functionality.

30+1 (magazine + round in chamber)

Generally speaking, prior to engagement, it is expected to have a round in the chamber with a Full magazine (30+1). If you were to shoot off a few rounds and reload, again you would have 30+1.
This makes things seamless as you can continue fire following reload without clambering a round. Additionally, you have the "panick" round which is the single round. (Asking for the panick round is to much in my opinion, but needless to say would be jaw dropping)

If you were to empty all rounds being fed; the slide would lock back, (Generally, and dependent on weapon variant/platform) a new magazine would be entered, and the slide released. (AR variant Generally slap or pull, would be cool to see both techniques used dependent on situation) in this situation you would then have 29+1 and the reload would take longer... very critical when looking at the seconds in a tactical situation.

ROUND MANAGEMENT

Fixed number of magazines prior to mission.
Let's use 10 magazines with 30 rounds.

If you shoot six rounds and reload, when that magazine is reloaded again, or hits the cycle it now has 24.

If this method is adopted different types of reloads could be considered!

RELOAD TYPES WITH ROUND MANAGEMENT

The tap of the reload button (faster reload) Causes the magazine to dropped to the floor and not retained until retrieved later.

Holding of the reload button, causes the magazine to be retained, but the Magazine then has to be placed back into the kit. And takes a bit longer

Every magazine maintains its indivual 30 rounds.

Consider, No pooling of ammunition example: 300 rounds in call of duty

Weapon malfunction & Jams.

The last game I saw get this right was far cry... YEARS AGO.
The encorporation of jams would be incredible, again, tying back to magazine management. M4, m16a1 etc are notorious for the double feed jam, dud rounds Etc. strike a double feed jam? Loose the rounds that were cleared to return to function.
Worst fear possible is a jam and a bind. Bad combo, heart racing!

Anyways, enough about my ramble. I hope these suggestions are recived well and a wish would be to see a portion of this in game.

Keep up the great work!
Great suggestion! Many shooters nowadays have embraced the mag retention feature and its amazing. Knowing how many rounds you have on you and having to keep track is such a far cry from just fire and forget. I love your reloading ideas (especially the drop mag idea) and hope they get some recognition from the team!
RaginAardvark

I know this is an older topic, but I just wanted to point out (without drawing any parallels or making comparisons) that the Americas Army games were able to implement weapon jams in a very realistic way. It’s not like it hasn’t been seen before, and even though there have been several arguments against it, I feel like it only added to make it a more realistic game.
absent

Center for Naval Analysis has a report on weapon stoppages, if it's helpful. This is based on reports from those who were in firefights in Iraq and Afghanistan.

https://www.cna.org/reports/2006/D0015259.A2.pdf
deployediraqafghanstoppages.PNG
deployediraqafghanstoppages.PNG (115.76 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
Some games I play have stoppages based on weapon condition. I don't think SDIF needs a weapon condition system, really, but having the occasional stoppage where hitting the reload key clears the jam would be fine. I think for the Mk 19 as mentioned before, M249, and Beretta stoppages would be a lot more common especially based on this report. For the M16A4 or M4 platforms it should probably be a rare occurrence and fairly quick to clear, if it's implemented.
Trood

absent wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:02 pm Center for Naval Analysis has a report on weapon stoppages, if it's helpful. This is based on reports from those who were in firefights in Iraq and Afghanistan.

https://www.cna.org/reports/2006/D0015259.A2.pdf

deployediraqafghanstoppages.PNG

Some games I play have stoppages based on weapon condition. I don't think SDIF needs a weapon condition system, really, but having the occasional stoppage where hitting the reload key clears the jam would be fine. I think for the Mk 19 as mentioned before, M249, and Beretta stoppages would be a lot more common especially based on this report. For the M16A4 or M4 platforms it should probably be a rare occurrence and fairly quick to clear, if it's implemented.

This information is awesome and very close to the data I was referencing. Thank you so much for adding it in!

If it’s not to late, hopefully this can be shared with the dev team.

I think it would be sick if there were a few variations of malfunction.

- bad primer/dud round (chamber new round)
- double feed (slide back/feed assist/ slide back & replace mag)
- failure to eject (similar to double feed)

I haven’t heard much on this since the initial post so my expectations are low on implementation in the game.

Regardless, game will be rad🙌

You’re the man
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Thanks for the detailed and continuous feedback on this, gang. I'll be sure to pass these updates to the development team.
YuukiTheTrap

AmperCamper wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:45 pm
Posing a question here to everyone: would you find malfunctions frustrating or off-putting? Would you trade convenience for something more authentic but cumbersome?
Personally i would value authenticity over convenience