What is the deal with this gotdamn timer :?:

Share suggestions and feedback here.
CaptnJunks

Re: What is the deal with this gotdamn timer :?:

So far I really like this game. The realism and application of the procedurally generated world is really good, and makes this game incredibly fun and challenging. I like the time limit but not to end the mission in failure. Why not make it time until super re-enforcements for the enemy arrive and you pretty well fucked, and it just gets more and more intense until it's inevitable you all die? No one likes losing to time, unless that has some sort of real consequence like an explosive timer, your rescue mission is dead and failed, or the enemy has sent enough forces to overwhelm your team until they are all dead.
PeterAvastrat

Reading these it's interesting and I know absolutely nothing about this whereas it seems like more of you do, however, the timer has definitely made me think about the urgency of the situation and reflect on the experience of the assault on Fallujah. One of the documentary pieces at the beginning, I believe, stated how they had to clear every building in an entire city and therefore a pace had to be met. As a result, the gameplay demands that you keep up with that rapid assault.

Perhaps, like someone else suggested, rather than "mission failure" it incurs penalty on mission rating or something. Perhaps a clear reminder at the final briefing screen. Or even use it to highlight the importance of urgency in the actual assault using a documentary quote or nugget of information.

I don't mean to undermine anyone else's experience with these suggestions, but this is just how it appeared to me and truth-be-told I haven't had a problem with the timers both for mission success or in general. I have had to push teammates, especially after folks have died, with the old "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" approach where they move slowly but constantly, and this has had success.

Also, the timer REALLY helps with the pick-up-and-play of the game. I'm used to Rising Storm 2 where a match is 45 minutes and I'm considering other games like Squad which is similar. So, having a tactical intense shooter I know I can squeeze a 15 minute match into is an absolute god-send. I even managed to squeeze a match with 40 minutes to spare before picking up my son after a long work day. Similarly, it means not waiting too long when the squad has died.
Thomas_the_virus

PeterAvastrat wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:35 pm Reading these it's interesting and I know absolutely nothing about this whereas it seems like more of you do, however, the timer has definitely made me think about the urgency of the situation and reflect on the experience of the assault on Fallujah. One of the documentary pieces at the beginning, I believe, stated how they had to clear every building in an entire city and therefore a pace had to be met. As a result, the gameplay demands that you keep up with that rapid assault.

Perhaps, like someone else suggested, rather than "mission failure" it incurs penalty on mission rating or something. Perhaps a clear reminder at the final briefing screen. Or even use it to highlight the importance of urgency in the actual assault using a documentary quote or nugget of information.

I don't mean to undermine anyone else's experience with these suggestions, but this is just how it appeared to me and truth-be-told I haven't had a problem with the timers both for mission success or in general. I have had to push teammates, especially after folks have died, with the old "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" approach where they move slowly but constantly, and this has had success.

Also, the timer REALLY helps with the pick-up-and-play of the game. I'm used to Rising Storm 2 where a match is 45 minutes and I'm considering other games like Squad which is similar. So, having a tactical intense shooter I know I can squeeze a 15 minute match into is an absolute god-send. I even managed to squeeze a match with 40 minutes to spare before picking up my son after a long work day. Similarly, it means not waiting too long when the squad has died.
correct me if im wrong anyone from victura. but i belive this game was never supposed to be a "tactical intense shooter" but more of a way to convey what the hell actually went down in fallujah with the stories from the real grunts, in a realistic way with no one to hold your hand except your teammates and being the totally opposite of COD and their stupid focus on intense shooting games and microtransactions .. if you want a tactical intense shooter to play singleplayer i would advise you to buy Call of duty or anything from that franchise :!:
PeterAvastrat

Thomas_the_virus wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:31 am correct me if im wrong anyone from victura. but i belive this game was never supposed to be a "tactical intense shooter" but more of a way to convey what the hell actually went down in fallujah with the stories from the real grunts, in a realistic way with no one to hold your hand except your teammates and being the totally opposite of COD and their stupid focus on intense shooting games and microtransactions .. if you want a tactical intense shooter to play singleplayer i would advise you to buy Call of duty or anything from that franchise :!:
Ahaha, not quite sure what you're chatting xD You have to play SDiF tactically... and it is intense while doing so... and it is a shooter. Not sure what the problem is with that statement? The intensity comes from the tension and teamwork at play. I imagine the soldiers doing this irl are feeling an intensity!!

Plus, there was a time limit in general. These assaults are ideally completed within a time-frame. So I would say the game's time limit is trying to encourage the appreciation of that fact. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. You need to move smoothly, with purpose, and with communication.
BobTank63

PeterAvastrat wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:35 pm Reading these it's interesting and I know absolutely nothing about this whereas it seems like more of you do, however, the timer has definitely made me think about the urgency of the situation and reflect on the experience of the assault on Fallujah. One of the documentary pieces at the beginning, I believe, stated how they had to clear every building in an entire city and therefore a pace had to be met. As a result, the gameplay demands that you keep up with that rapid assault.

Agreed here. I actually think the time limit here is well-implemented and isn't too long or short.