Graphic settings questions

Share suggestions and feedback here.
Lukasoss

Graphic settings questions

Hello everyone,

I've been waiting for this game since 2009, was still in high school then, I'm glad it got remade into this. Having a good time so far =).

I'd like to ask for some clarification on some of the graphic settings in the game, so I had mainly 2 questions. I hope this is the right place for this post.

My PC is not top of the line any more (Ryzen 5 1600, Rx580 8GB, 16 GB RAM DDR4), but I'm able to play the game decently well with everything on high (from 70+ fps to drops in the 40s in very specific places and missions). However, the only way I can accomplish this somewhat smoother experience is setting the "Maximum resolution" in the Upscaler settings to "Low".
Before the latest patch these options had a number next to them: Low (720p), Medium (1080p) High (2k), etc. Those numbers are gone now. As I understand I'm playing at 720p on a 1080p monitor with that option that way.
I have the Upscaler set to off, because it looks extremely grainy and blurry in this game, unlike other games that use FSR 2.0+ where the image quality looks much clearer and smooth (Cyberpunk and Deathloop as examples).

That being said my questions were:
1) What exactly is the maximum resolution setting under the Upscaler, and why is it affecting the game with the upscaler set to off? I'm glad it's there 'cause setting it to Low allows me to have a smoother experience with my setup.

2) Why does the game itself looks so blurry and grainy without using any type of upscaling and setting the "maximum resolution" to medium? (which is my native 1080p monitor).

Thank you!
Have a great week
desertjedi

Re: Graphic settings questions

Yeah, it would be helpful if someone did a deep dive on the graphics options. Honestly, I have no clue what's going on with the fullscreen, windowed fullscreen and windowed options and the associated screen resolution. I simply leave it on windowed full screen and it works and I have no idea what resolution I'm playing at.

I did encounter a bug when playing with the above option. At one point, I was not able to change any of the options on the Graphics Options screen after monkeying with the above option. It turned out that if I moved my mouse pointer a little to the side of where I was supposed to click, the option was changeable. I can't provide any more info than that.

I simply wish I had something telling me what resolution I was playing at. When I started playing SDIF, the view through the scope was a bit ugly. Now, it seems better as if I'm playing at a much higher resolution.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

desertjedi wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:13 pm I simply wish I had something telling me what resolution I was playing at. When I started playing SDIF, the view through the scope was a bit ugly. Now, it seems better as if I'm playing at a much higher resolution.
We're working on a fix to allow you guys to manually change resolution at fullscreen and adjust for blurry scopes, and we'll keep you updated.

To answer OP's questions:
  1. Maximum resolution is a clamp that caps out the render resolution (that's the number of pixels computed) and then it's scaled to however large your fullscreen or windowed resolution is. Ultra is uncapped (aka native or 100% of what the monitor resolution is), High is roughly 1440p, Medium is roughly 1080p, and Low is roughly 720p. We removed the numbers on it for now since it was only accurate on 16:9 aspect ratios, and we saw cases where it was misleading on wider screens. We're working on improving the clarity of this setting for the future.
  2. This is more difficult to say, but it's probably based around the above aspect ratios I described. We certainly have improvements to make to our FSR.
Lukasoss

Thanks, appreciate it :)
krzy

Question re: "Foveated scope" setting. It's grayed out on my PC with "Not supported" label. Is this feature dependent on RTX graphics card? My GPU is GTX 1060, so bit old, but still working perfectly fine in 99.9% of games. :P
AmperCamper
Community Manager

krzy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:48 pm Question re: "Foveated scope" setting. It's grayed out on my PC with "Not supported" label. Is this feature dependent on RTX graphics card? My GPU is GTX 1060, so bit old, but still working perfectly fine in 99.9% of games. :P
It's not RTX dependent, as it also functions on AMD cards. It uses an ability from the GPU to render different parts of the screen at different resolutions, and it requires a GPU more recent than what a 1060 can handle.