Great Video from a smaller channel regarding the Ethics of SDIF

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
optimise

Great Video from a smaller channel regarding the Ethics of SDIF

The channel only has 648 subscribers with the video sitting at 1,633 views. Would highly recommend giving it a watch if you haven’t seen it.
Kronzky

Re: Great Video from a smaller channel regarding the Ethics of SDIF

He rambles for 17 minutes about the deep emotional effects and political relevance of SDOF, with sad background music, and footage that has nothing to do with the game, but I don't know where he gets that impression from, that the game addresses any ethical or political issues (other than the developer's marketing).

Yes, it's "based" on a real event, but the game in its current state is nothing more than a quicky shooter, where for 10 minutes I kill everything I see; and if I get injured I use some healing powder or my teammates, and I'm like new again. Then the round is done, and I start over. (Sounds very much like CS, except that CS doesn't have magic healing.)

The reality (as we see it right now) unfortunately doesn't match what was talked about (and promised) for many, many years, but it seems he's still basing his review on those promises, rather than what is actually being delivered.

I know, I know, it's EA, and perhaps they will add some depth to this game at some point, but I can only judge what I can actually see. Not some potential future game, that may or may not come.
optimise

Kronzky wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:02 am He rambles for 17 minutes about the deep emotional effects and political relevance of SDOF, with sad background music, and footage that has nothing to do with the game, but I don't know where he gets that impression from, that the game addresses any ethical or political issues (other than the developer's marketing).

Yes, it's "based" on a real event, but the game in its current state is nothing more than a quicky shooter, where for 10 minutes I kill everything I see; and if I get injured I use some healing powder or my teammates, and I'm like new again. Then the round is done, and I start over. (Sounds very much like CS, except that CS doesn't have magic healing.)

The reality (as we see it right now) unfortunately doesn't match what was talked about (and promised) for many, many years, but it seems he's still basing his review on those promises, rather than what is actually being delivered.

I know, I know, it's EA, and perhaps they will add some depth to this game at some point, but I can only judge what I can actually see. Not some potential future game, that may or may not come.
In its current state the game still aims to provide an experience which (as much as it can be done in a video game form) attempts to realistically portray the experiences of those who fought in the Second Battle of Fallujah, which is quite significant and unique compared to other titles on the market. A significant amount of Veterans were given access early including some who actually fought in Fallujah, and to many of them it is clear that this game captures something which no other title really manages to.
As for depth and story telling, that'll come down the line as outlined in the Early Access FAQ - if this was the full release your critique could be somewhat valid but right now you're judging an in-development version as if it wasn't going to progress any further; which it will, that's the point of Early Access. If you don't like participating in that and would rather play the finished product then you always have the option to wait until the testing phases are over & buy the game then, but judging an Early Access game because it doesn't have something which you know is being developed & will get added down the line isn't fair.

- optimise
Last edited by optimise on Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kean_1

Kronzky wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:02 am I know, I know, it's EA, and perhaps they will add some depth to this game at some point, but I can only judge what I can actually see. Not some potential future game, that may or may not come.
@Optimise provides an excellent rebuttal and I could really just leave it at that but I'll add a few comments.

You said it yourself, it's early access. The devs have been very up front about what their plans are which will include the campaign, team AI, etc. We are still a year out from a full, complete release. Hell, those of us on console won't be able to touch it until then (although XB could at some point before then will get EA as well).

I watched the video and I wouldn't say he's "rambling". He's providing context and and explanation of why SDiF is in the position of becoming what he thinks it to be. Within the first few words of his commentary he even says that the game is in early access / incomplete. He's merely extrapolating from what we all have seen so far and knowing what is to come in the following months.

Personally, I don't care to get into the minds of folks that are against games like SDiF. Some have legitimate reasons and that's fine, I can even respect that when it comes from those who may be intimately impacted due to their involvement. Others are simply trying to sensationalize the controversy and/or just are against games like these in general. In any case, I haven't been interested in delving into all that.

As a consumer, what I'm after is an authentic, immersive experience which SDiF seems it will deliver. I think it was a brilliant move putting the game into the hands of vets (some having fought in Fallujah) before early release. From the comments and videos I've seen, I think the team has really hit the ground running. The game seems to already be garnering positive reactions and even evoking some emotional responses but in a good way.

I don't see anything wrong with Nox's video and generally agree with what I watched. ....again I don't want to say I don't care but this is not a dilemma I have with SDiF or other games in the same genre.

As for life after early access, you can either choose to believe in what the team is doing with the game or not. Personally, after seeing the gameplay footage so far and the communications, interaction with the community manager, getting questions/ concerns of mine answered about the game, etc., I have no reason to doubt Victura won't release a game worthy of purchase when it finally arrives for PS5 next year. I'm not saying my mind won't change down the line but for now, I see no reason to be cynical about SDiF's future at this point.

....and to Optimise's point, if you don't like what you see now, you always have the option to wait for the final release to make up your mind. .....or anywhere in between given new things will be added to early release as we make our way to the full launch.
Kronzky

What you get in Early Access is the *core* of the game, the "heart and soul", so to speak.
It contains what the developer considers the most important aspects of the game, and it will hardly ever change later on.
Sure, there will be some tweaks and expansions, there will be bells & whistles that are added, but the core stays the same.

And what we got with SDOF is a hectic 15-minute shooter, where you kill everything that moves, and with an arcadish health system. This is what the developers thought would be the most important aspect of the game, so that's why they finished that first. If a massive city or friend/foe decisions would've been important to them, then that would've been part of the EA already, but it obviously isn't.
Yes, instead of clearing one tiny city block over and over again, we will get a few other blocks, but it's still a 10-minute shooter. It will never be "deep". It will never be a "survival horror" game like they announced (unless they're going for the world record in 'fastest survival game ever'). A game needs to have a certain length for these characteristics (and the player's emotions) to develop, and SDOF just doesn't have it.

Also, this is not a "throw stuff at a wall, and see what sticks" kind of EA. The developers had 15 years to prioritize what goes into their game, and if this is what they come up with, then I'm not holding my breath for it significantly changing post-EA.
Kean_1

....there are so many misconceptions and assumptions you have about this game that I really don't know where to start.

You have a very hardened, myopic view of SDiF so I see no point in continuing a dialogue as I doubt it will change your mind. .....and to be honest, I have no reason or desire to try.
BadKarma

Kronzky wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:45 am What you get in Early Access is the *core* of the game, the "heart and soul", so to speak.
It contains what the developer considers the most important aspects of the game, and it will hardly ever change later on.
Sure, there will be some tweaks and expansions, there will be bells & whistles that are added, but the core stays the same.

And what we got with SDOF is a hectic 15-minute shooter, where you kill everything that moves, and with an arcadish health system. This is what the developers thought would be the most important aspect of the game, so that's why they finished that first. If a massive city or friend/foe decisions would've been important to them, then that would've been part of the EA already, but it obviously isn't.
Yes, instead of clearing one tiny city block over and over again, we will get a few other blocks, but it's still a 10-minute shooter. It will never be "deep". It will never be a "survival horror" game like they announced (unless they're going for the world record in 'fastest survival game ever'). A game needs to have a certain length for these characteristics (and the player's emotions) to develop, and SDOF just doesn't have it.

Also, this is not a "throw stuff at a wall, and see what sticks" kind of EA. The developers had 15 years to prioritize what goes into their game, and if this is what they come up with, then I'm not holding my breath for it significantly changing post-EA.
I'll enjoy it on your behalf, if there is anything I've learned after all these years is that people that love to talk alot sometimes have their quotes aging like fine milk, nothing else to add.