Tracer Rounds

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Kridath

Tracer Rounds

So…. This one really caught my eye after watching gameplay footage.

In the Video by controlled pairs gaming I noticed very obvious “tracer” lines. Having shot many weapons of many different calibers tracers are really only good for long distance and are rarely used in squad weapons. M249 being an exception. But during the day they are super hard to see at a close distance and it’s an eye sore for the game for me.

Is this something the team is aware of? And will it eventually be fixed? Or are the tracers meant to be visible in the game?

Khe sanh

Re: Tracer Rounds

Saw some other people in the comments talking about that, hope this gets addressed, also does anyone feel like the muzzle flash isn't that strong when there shooting in dark rooms/ houses?.
Kridath

Khe sanh wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:37 pm Saw some other people in the comments talking about that, hope this gets addressed, also does anyone feel like the muzzle flash isn't that strong when there shooting in dark rooms/ houses?.
Muzzle flash isn’t easy to see up close. So not as concerned about that, but if it was long distance that’s a different story.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Kridath wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:31 pm So…. This one really caught my eye after watching gameplay footage.

In the Video by controlled pairs gaming I noticed very obvious “tracer” lines. Having shot many weapons of many different calibers tracers are really only good for long distance and are rarely used in squad weapons. M249 being an exception. But during the day they are super hard to see at a close distance and it’s an eye sore for the game for me.

Is this something the team is aware of? And will it eventually be fixed? Or are the tracers meant to be visible in the game?
Yes, tracers are designed to be visible, but there were some comments on CPG's video that they were moving too slow. Turns out there was a bug that was slowing down tracer VFX. This has since been fixed.
Dague

Kridath wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:31 pm So…. This one really caught my eye after watching gameplay footage.

I get what you are saying. Most of the time, especially in the late war era. Most soldiers/Marines were not issued tracer rounds. However, I found that in the earlier combat footage of Iraq from 2003-2005, a lot more combat arms were issued tracer rounds for whatever reason. Not sure exactly why but it was the case. I would defer to the Marines and Soldiers who were actively there to see what kind of ammunition they were given during the battle. Given the mix match of the gear and weapon attachments at the time, I wouldn't be surprised if the Marine Corps give these Marines tracer rounds because it was all they had to issue at this time. They couldn't even get the camo right at this point in the war for example. Dudes running around with brown/coyote vests with woodland pouches and packs...and visa versa.
Mudroc0311

Dague wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:14 pm

I get what you are saying. Most of the time, especially in the late war era. Most soldiers/Marines were not issued tracer rounds. However, I found that in the earlier combat footage of Iraq from 2003-2005, a lot more combat arms were issued tracer rounds for whatever reason. Not sure exactly why but it was the case. I would defer to the Marines and Soldiers who were actively there to see what kind of ammunition they were given during the battle. Given the mix match of the gear and weapon attachments at the time, I wouldn't be surprised if the Marine Corps give these Marines tracer rounds because it was all they had to issue at this time. They couldn't even get the camo right at this point in the war for example. Dudes running around with brown/coyote vests with woodland pouches and packs...and visa versa.
We were issued tracer rounds so that we can use them as references incase you run out of ammo. A magazine holds 30 rounds, you have 5 tracers in 1 mag. How you place your 5 tracers is at your discretion. I placed 1 tracer round at bullet number 1/30 2/30 3/30 then again at 10/30 and 20/30.
Dague

Mudroc0311 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:38 pm
Dague wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:14 pm

We were issued tracer rounds so that we can use them as references incase you run out of ammo. A magazine holds 30 rounds, you have 5 tracers in 1 mag. How you place your 5 tracers is at your discretion. I placed 1 tracer round at bullet number 1/30 2/30 3/30 then again at 10/30 and 20/30.
I figured that as much. Hard to replicate that in the game because everyone will have a different answer as to where they placed the tracer rounds in their magazines. Devs probably just adopted the everyone has tracers every other round because it makes the game more immersive for people who dont understand this aspect of the game.
RaggedOldFlag

I spent 8 years in the Army Infantry with several trips to Iraq. During my ‘07 deployment I was a rifle squad leader and tracers were standard 1 to 5 in both 5.56 for the SAWs and 7.62 for the 240s. As a standard all platoon SAW gunners ditched the plastic 200 round drums rounds came packaged in and reloaded into smaller 100 round soft drums that made the weapon much more maneuverable while also ensuring every round was properly seated in the links. The 200 round drums were notorious for causing jams due to rounds becoming unseated in the links. All the M4 mags as a platoon standard had the last 3 rounds as tracers so you had a quick visual you were near empty. As an SL I carried 10 magazines with my first mag loaded 30 rounds of tracers for the purpose of marking targets and directing fires during daytime contact. During night ops I typically wouldn’t run the full tracer mag and relied on our IR lasers for marking. Each SL had a different shape filter over their IR laser flood light so you could visually see which squad SL was marking and was also used to identify your squads position if separated. Mine was a triangle filter. The other 2 rifle SLs had a square and circle IR filter. I don’t recall what or if the weapons squad leader had.