Difficulty Level

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
snowden66

Re: Difficulty Level

Honestly, I think it's spot on at the moment. Definitely wouldn't want it made any easier.
teker1

You have to have an easier difficulty, like the person above say's even real heroes are dying & THEY CAME HOME!!!! I am dying right away, getting sniped. I really want to expereiece this game, way better than C.O.D but just so hard!!! think about all the regular people. THX

In the settings if i change sticks to southpaw, nothing happens - my controller is still top left - movement & bottom right - camera. I need opposite.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

teker1 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:11 am In the settings if i change sticks to southpaw, nothing happens - my controller is still top left - movement & bottom right - camera. I need opposite.
Confirming that we have a fix for this that will be included in our next patch (planned for before the holiday break).
Nomad

AmperCamper wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:56 pm Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

The game punishes carelessness, and mistakes are going to cost you (and perhaps the whole team). But, it's not impossible. There's a unique balancing act that we're navigating. Of course, this can always be tuned.
Nerfing the lethality of the AI should be the last resort for balancing imo. Your core audience bought into this title precisely because of the brutal experience this game provides. It's a way for us POGs to experience Fallujah for what it is without compromise, and I think that's the key there, we wanted to experience the brutality of the battle with full authenticity and without compromise.

However, and undoubtedly, there are certain AI tweaks that are still needed.

Allow me to explain:

The A.I. as a whole is one of the best I've seen in any video games. But they are not impossible to overcome, and in due time, the SDIF community will come up with a meta gameplay style that works. Take Killing Floor 1 for example, the community unanimously agreed (over time) that on certain maps, the whole team should defend this room/area. And that was the meta.

In SDIF, I've come up with certain "metas" of my own, which will evolve and be more streamlined. For example,
- Follow the AAV as it provides extra cover but at the risk of it blowing up and us losing reinforcements and ammo resupply.
- Automatic Rifleman holds position near the street and AAV (outside the breaching point) to pick off flanking/exiting enemies. So, Entry team knows their rear is covered
- Team Lead to use his 40 mike mikes to bombard hostile mortar/sniper teams to prevent them for operating
- and more that I am not going to list out

What I am trying to say is, these problems are not impossible to work through. The satisfaction of completing a mission is heightened because we know victory didn't come easily, and that the whole team carried their weight to see through the mission's success. On the flip side, the stinging feeling of being a TL and not having a full extract is also heightened. But it pushes TLs to make better decisions and to communicate to the team clearly what their tasks are

As for the AI Tweaks, and I briefly mentioned this in the forums as well, the AI's ability to see you in dark places, or in tiny murder holes needs looking at.
But I can't speak on this matter too much because I've never had this issue. I don't know if it's because I always turn off my flashlight when peeking outside from a window.
Or if the person who mentions this was just unlucky as I am aware that the AI will shoot randomly into windows to suppress as well. Heck, I do that all the time too when closing the gap between myself and a breach point. Or it could simply be because he had his flashlights on. But I have been shot by insurgents in darkness with no flashlights on indoors before, but I chalked it up to them knowing where I was and me talking on the mic. No idea how the AI works, but it seems fair from my standpoint.

As for the tiny murder holes, I have never been hit when I am perched up on the roof and shooting at insurgents attacking the convoy. Is it because I don't stick my head out any longer than 5s between shots or what it is. I've taken fire, yes. But never been shot dead on the roof, unless by an enemy sniper. But the fact that they seem to always miss their first shot, makes it so that I know to keep my head down if i want to keep it.

So, as you can tell, I am torn on this matter. If authentically this was the kind of insane difficulty marines faced back then, then so be it. No tweaks needed.

Edit: I wanted to make a counter-argument to the stance that real heroes are dying in this game... There isn't a 1:1 skill conversion between operating a firearm and a mouse and keyboard. Sometimes you just get outgunned, or outlucked. It shouldn't be used as the measursing system of difficulty...
Hagar

I really think you guys don´t get it, im sorry to say so.

keep this difficulty settings!

Just add lower difficulty settings!

No one is trying to take this game away from the guys who like it like that. It´s staying like this (just pick hardest difficulty setting (the one you have now!))

All people are saying is "we also want to enjoy it and be able to learn it, without dying after 2 minutes" (so, pls, give us lower difficulty settings)

Regards,
rodrigoxm49

teker1 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:11 am You have to have an easier difficulty, like the person above say's even real heroes are dying & THEY CAME HOME!!!! I am dying right away, getting sniped. I really want to expereiece this game, way better than C.O.D but just so hard!!! think about all the regular people. THX

In the settings if i change sticks to southpaw, nothing happens - my controller is still top left - movement & bottom right - camera. I need opposite.
Guys, do you realize that videogames are completely different from real life?

So maybe the guy handle REALLY well a M16, but sucks completely in handle mouse and keyboard tom play a FPS game. This is not a Flight Simulator, so this comparison makes absolutely no sense. You need to be at least a decent FPS player. War experience can helps you to move in the buildings or on the enviroment, but this will not make you a FPS player.

So changing subjects a little,

I think you guys should stop whining - i'm not being disrespectiful, just don't know any other word and as we all can see, english is not my native language - for a while and try to improve as a player and as a team to reach the goals.

Act as a group, be organized and take as little risk as possible. Try to stick with the same guys for better social affectivity (yeah, this is a thing on sports and wars and VERY VERY important one). This is very important to keep everyone alive. Communication all the time, always all together and covering each other.

The game is obviously not easy, but it is absolutely fair like no other. I have a very hardcore heavily modded PvE server on Insurgency Sandstorm. It's a MUCH easier game than this, but usually I die A LOT during a mission there. Because it's just unfair how AI works. Yesterday I play 7 matches, we won 5 and I never die. And there's NOTHING to do with being good with K+M, i'm only decent player (like I say, you only need to be decent, this is not a PvP game and AI is MUCH worse than below decent PvP players yet). It's the way AI works. You just need to apply some basic CQC stuff to make it right. They're predictable (not in a bad way), took the same actions than you would if you were of them. So it's easy to understand what has to be done to not die. After all, that is the main objective. Not die. Because the more dead, the less chance of reach the goals.

I would suggest for people that are struggling in this game, try to start from the very beginning: focus on not die. Then when you improve, think about going to the goals.
Kronzky

rodrigoxm49 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:44 amSo maybe the guy handle REALLY well a M16, but sucks completely in handle mouse and keyboard tom play a FPS game. This is not a Flight Simulator, so this comparison makes absolutely no sense. You need to be at least a decent FPS player. War experience can helps you to move in the buildings or on the enviroment, but this will not make you a FPS player.
The prerelease wasn't handed to a bunch of guys who had never touched a computer before.
Those were all (semi)-professional gamers, with a long history in tactical games. Some of them also had a military background, but every one of them was an experienced gamer.
And they still all died...

Since this is not a reflex shooter strategy should matter most.
So, if you're somewhat competent in CQB strategies (either from gaming or from real-world experience) you should be able to survive this game *most* of the time. But that's not what was happening. No matter the background everybody was dying left & right.

The devs cranked up the difficulty to a gamey level that has nothing to do with reality. (Otherwise, if reality were as tough as the game, the fatality number in Fallujah would've looked a lot different. Keep in mind that a lot of the guys in Fallujah were fresh recruits. Despite that, they *still* survived. Most gamers probably have more experience in room clearing than those guys back then.)

Sure, with enough experience you will be able to beat it. But that's just because you're now "gaming" it. Not because it's realistic.
rodrigoxm49

Kronzky wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:29 am
rodrigoxm49 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:44 amSo maybe the guy handle REALLY well a M16, but sucks completely in handle mouse and keyboard tom play a FPS game. This is not a Flight Simulator, so this comparison makes absolutely no sense. You need to be at least a decent FPS player. War experience can helps you to move in the buildings or on the enviroment, but this will not make you a FPS player.
Reflex is VERY important in a CQB game because it exactly this that makes you use CQB rules to complete your gouls. If you have AI with poor reaction time, poor aiming or acting like stupids, CQB rules are no necessary anymore. Just rush rush towards enemies and engaging them without any com or any rules. Just like people do on Insurgency Sandstorm even on hardcore server.
Hagar

rodrigoxm49 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:50 am
Kronzky wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:29 am
Reflex is VERY important in a CQB game because it exactly this that makes you use CQB rules to complete your gouls. If you have AI with poor reaction time, poor aiming or acting like stupids, CQB rules are no necessary anymore. Just rush rush towards enemies and engaging them without any com or any rules. Just like people do on Insurgency Sandstorm even on hardcore server.
So, to play this game you got to know real CQB tactics and military urban enviroment progression (and not in a slightly unprofessional-casual gamer-way)? Good luck with that.

In Ready or Not you got to use CQB and tactics, and still the game is more accessible, hence less frustrating, and still rewarding when you pull off an A+ at end mission.

I still wait for an answer on why cant people have lesser difficulty levels of play, maintaining this one for who ever likes it? Why do you deny others fun if you maintain yours? Ok, its good for you, fine. Can it be also good for others?

Like i said, if it stays this hard the playerbase will be small compared to other games where tactical approach is needed. But hey, im not the devs...
Kronzky

I think this is gonna be the first game ever, where a "Realism Mod" will make the game easier... :lol: