Early Access Date revealed!

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Kean_1

Re: Early Access Date revealed!

Crunchie44 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:18 amMy experience with early access games on PC is that you are looking at well over a year for console release, so I would expect a late 2024 if previous experiences are anything to go by. I remember insurgency devs saying they have the game running on consoles early in development too, so ampers above comment that they also have it running on console means very little in that regard.

Early access news today is effectively a "game delayed into next year and we need funds" as he said in the FAQ. That's worrying. This looks to be heading down the well worn route of- release in early access to PC, initial buzz and excitement, interest wains, release a port to console for more cash at a later date. I hope to God I'm wrong, but today and previous experiences have me very worried
It varies IME. Take Hell Let Loose for example... It went early access on PC in mid 2019 while still being developed and had a full release on PC in July 2021 two years later. ....but it then released on console just about 4 months later in October of that same year. I remember getting it for free when I bought my PS5 which was a real treat.

I think it's really going to depend just how far along they are with console development as well as a v1 launch. As mentioned, they are fully expecting to launch the console version along side the PC full release so in that way at least, it differs from other scenarios where us console players were left waiting for an announced port. That's not to say however that this game will remain in early access purgatory longer than expected but with a vague "2024" release window, who knows if we are talking an 8 month wait or 20.
Crunchie44

Kean_1 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:54 am
Crunchie44 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:18 amMy experience with early access games on PC is that you are looking at well over a year for console release, so I would expect a late 2024 if previous experiences are anything to go by. I remember insurgency devs saying they have the game running on consoles early in development too, so ampers above comment that they also have it running on console means very little in that regard.

Early access news today is effectively a "game delayed into next year and we need funds" as he said in the FAQ. That's worrying. This looks to be heading down the well worn route of- release in early access to PC, initial buzz and excitement, interest wains, release a port to console for more cash at a later date. I hope to God I'm wrong, but today and previous experiences have me very worried
It varies IME. Take Hell Let Loose for example... It went early access on PC in mid 2019 while still being developed and had a full release on PC in July 2021 two years later. ....but it then released on console just about 4 months later in October of that same year. I remember getting it for free when I bought my PS5 which was a real treat.

I think it's really going to depend just how far along they are with console development as well as a v1 launch. As mentioned, they are fully expecting to launch the console version along side the PC full release so in that way at least, it differs from other scenarios where us console players were left waiting for an announced port. That's not to say however that this game will remain in early access purgatory longer than expected but with a vague "2024" release window, who knows if we are talking an 8 month wait or 20.
The way I see that is 2 years from hell let loose EA to release, so my fear of a late 2024 might be optimistic and we are looking at 2025. I wouldn't be surprised if many months from now we get notified,hidden in the middle of a press release that console has been delayed beyond v1 full launch. I was hopeful this game was different, but it seems to be heading down the well travelled route of PC first, console port much later after the initial buzz has died. I guess I knew this delay news was coming as it is far from the first delay this game has had, but it will be annoying to experience this game a year or more later
BobTank63

Crunchie44 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:06 am

The way I see that is 2 years from hell let loose EA to release, so my fear of a late 2024 might be optimistic and we are looking at 2025. I wouldn't be surprised if many months from now we get notified,hidden in the middle of a press release that console has been delayed beyond v1 full launch. I was hopeful this game was different, but it seems to be heading down the well travelled route of PC first, console port much later after the initial buzz has died. I guess I knew this delay news was coming as it is far from the first delay this game has had, but it will be annoying to experience this game a year or more later
The devs seem pretty adamant that they will release PC and console v1 at the same time. The fact they mention they've already gotten the game to run on consoles is an encouraging sign.

Personally, I'm with you on the "worried about EA" thing. I've only seen EA done well exactly one time before. The only reason I'm trusting the dev team here is the glowing review Devildog Gamer, Controlled Pairs, and GLID Gaming gave to how the dev team handled their feedback.
Kean_1

Kridath wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:44 amThere have been games way worse that SDiF that have released... Microsoft and Sony can't afford to block games like this. That is why you see the US with all these weird and far reaching games that make you scratch your head how they released. Usually certain countries will restrict games or outright ban them.

So there shouldnt be any concern that console companies will restrict the game.
Yeah, I really doubt that would be a problem but then again, I never saw the issue the same way the original detractors of the game did. It's really no different than the multitude of other titles available in that regard that portray historical battles, wars, conflicts, etc.

Folks have been and still are reenacting Fallujah scenarios in other games. If anything, SDiF takes a different tack by addressing veterans feelings as well as others involved. .....handling the content with a level of thoughtfulness not really seen in those other games. Others are usually more disconnected in that regard.

....so, if anything, SDiF should be commended for that rather than trying to be "cancelled". In either case, I doubt PS or XB will cave to the will of a relatively small group of critics unless of course their efforts gain enough traction to become a real problem.
Crunchie44

BobTank63 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:13 am

The devs seem pretty adamant that they will release PC and console v1 at the same time. The fact they mention they've already gotten the game to run on consoles is an encouraging sign.

Personally, I'm with you on the "worried about EA" thing. I've only seen EA done well exactly one time before. The only reason I'm trusting the dev team here is the glowing review Devildog Gamer, Controlled Pairs, and GLID Gaming gave to how the dev team handled their feedback.
As I stated above, insurgency devs made this claim too and players hung onto it, but it still took years to arrive. I tend to take things with a pinch of salt because of reasons like that. That release today has some red flags in it. Basically they need money, that's why it's going early access, not because they are happy with it. And the console delay being sugar coated in the FAQ leaves a sour taste. I guess its previous experiences with early access PC games have also left a sour taste. I have a PC, but friends mostly have consoles so I was eager to experience it with them so I won't partake in this test, well that and like you said, early access in general is rarely successful and I view it as a money grab when any game enters it.

It's just a pity that console players will have to experience it on YouTube first time and by the time they get their hands on, late 2024 early 2025,that exciting shine has long since left
Kean_1

Crunchie44 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:20 amIt's just a pity that console players will have to experience it on YouTube first time and by the time they get their hands on, late 2024 early 2025,that exciting shine has long since left
Well, the only thing we know at this point is "2024". That could be any time from Jan - Dec next year. While I'm sympathetic to the expectation of a worse case scenario based on previous experience (I too consider it as a possibility), anything other than what we've been told is pure conjecture. The fact is, we'll likely have to wait until we are (at least) closer to 2024 before we have a better idea of exactly when the release will be.

Hopefully this "roadmap" that is said to be published in the coming weeks will give us a better idea of what to expect and when. It would also give the community a better idea if there will eventually be more delays if benchmarks are not met when anticipated.

For now, we have no other choice but to watch from the bleachers and wait until we can join in.

NWI / Sandstorm is a bad example to be honest. I followed that drama since the announcement of the game even participating in their livestream Q&As. From my own experience, the Victura folks are better than that and I have more confidence in them than I ever did with NWI.
BobTank63

Crunchie44 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:20 am

As I stated above, insurgency devs made this claim too and players hung onto it, but it still took years to arrive. I tend to take things with a pinch of salt because of reasons like that. That release today has some red flags in it. Basically they need money, that's why it's going early access, not because they are happy with it. And the console delay being sugar coated in the FAQ leaves a sour taste. I guess its previous experiences with early access PC games have also left a sour taste. I have a PC, but friends mostly have consoles so I was eager to experience it with them so I won't partake in this test, well that and like you said, early access in general is rarely successful and I view it as a money grab when any game enters it.

It's just a pity that console players will have to experience it on YouTube first time and by the time they get their hands on, late 2024 early 2025,that exciting shine has long since left
I'm well aware of the issues of EA promises that never pan out. I am also a bit annoyed the devs went this route. That being said, with all the new stuff that other games don't have, such as the block AI and the procedural generation, I understand why they did it. I am also willing to trust the dev team solely because of the glowing reviews the vets who got to try the beta gave to how the dev team responded to feedback. Using EA as a way to gain an implement feedback to build up to full release is how EA is supposed to work, and it's because of those reviews I'm willing to try it.

It is based on those reviews that I'm also willing to say that devs will hold to a simultaneous console/PC full release.
BobTank63

Kean_1 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:49 am
Crunchie44 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:20 amIt's just a pity that console players will have to experience it on YouTube first time and by the time they get their hands on, late 2024 early 2025,that exciting shine has long since left
Well, the only thing we know at this point is "2024". That could be any time from Jan - Dec next year. While I'm sympathetic to the expectation of a worse case scenario based on previous experience (I too consider it as a possibility), anything other than what we've been told is pure conjecture. The fact is, we'll likely have to wait until we are (at least) closer to 2024 before we have a better idea of exactly when the release will be.

Hopefully this "roadmap" that is said to be published in the coming weeks will give us a better idea of what to expect and when. It would also give the community a better idea if there will eventually be more delays if benchmarks are not met when anticipated.

For now, we have no other choice but to watch from the bleachers and wait until we can join in.

NWI / Sandstorm is a bad example to be honest. I followed that drama since the announcement of the game even participating in their livestream Q&As. From my own experience, the Victura folks are better than that and I have more confidence in them than I ever did with NWI.
Actually the EA Steam readout says that EA should last 12 months, which puts release sometime summer 2024, if they hold to the schedule.
Kean_1

BobTank63 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:54 amActually the EA Steam readout says that EA should last 12 months, which puts release sometime summer 2024, if they hold to the schedule.
....and is that an assumed timeframe or something Victura would have dictated?

Sorry, I don't know anything about Steam. I'm an old PC gamer from way back since the early days of PC but switched exclusively to console about 20 years ago. .....man I'm old.
Crunchie44

BobTank63 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:53 am
Crunchie44 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:20 am

I'm well aware of the issues of EA promises that never pan out. I am also a bit annoyed the devs went this route. That being said, with all the new stuff that other games don't have, such as the block AI and the procedural generation, I understand why they did it. I am also willing to trust the dev team solely because of the glowing reviews the vets who got to try the beta gave to how the dev team responded to feedback. Using EA as a way to gain an implement feedback to build up to full release is how EA is supposed to work, and it's because of those reviews I'm willing to try it.

It is based on those reviews that I'm also willing to say that devs will hold to a simultaneous console/PC full release.
Sadly I've seen this far too many times before. People so badly want the game to be good that they forgive things no matter what and believe in things. I too thought this would be different, but unfortunately, it going down the same road as so many games. Feel free to come back to this late next year when we will no doubt still be waiting. Early access will be a minimum of a year and that's being optimistic. Early 2025 at best would be my guess sadly after todays delay announced