Early Access Date revealed!

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Crunchie44

Re: Early Access Date revealed!

optimise wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:04 am
Crunchie44 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:54 am I don't expect a response and while this is great news, I'm fearful "early access" will be a long one, meaning consoles is a long way out. I had hoped for an alpha and beta setup, early access is usually a long time that can be pushed out further. Getting insurgency sandstorm vibes from this, where they claimed it would be on console and it did finally arrive, after more than 2 years. So while today is great news for PC players, I'm fearful for console players, could be well in to 2024 before we see it
They have stated that PC and Console versions will be fully released at the same time in the FAQ, so I wouldn't expect anything similar to what happened with Sandstorm haha, plus they also got some builds of the game running on consoles in-studio which is good news for you guys.
What happened with Sandstorm was more of an outlier due to a variety of factors which all came together to result in an insanely delayed console release. NWI was over-ambitious and not experienced with UE when they started to work on that game & the console port itself was not even managed by them, instead being made by a different studio. SDIF appears to take a much better approach as they're building the two versions of the game alongside eachother and have taken concrete steps to making the console release a reality.

- optimise
Ya, but early access allows them to delay the v1 release indefinitely which is usually the case. If this was an alpha-beta route, then you could be optimistic of a console release soon. Early access is a worry for console players,looking like well into 2024 before they see it unfortunately.

Controlled pairs just confirmed it will be 2024 before v1 release unfortunately. Seems my fear about"early access" are confirmed.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Jumping in as I want to make a few things very clear for everyone:
  • Early Access arrives on June 22 on PC, with the full release of Six Days planned alongside consoles in 2024.
  • We're very aware of the "development hell" many, many games find themselves in when entering Early Access (especially in this genre).
We are not underestimating both the scale and importance of the console community, and we intent to deliver an experience that you all want to play. But, there's a few steps that we needed to take first.

And, consoles have always been in mind with our development. Full controller support being featured when EA launches on the 22nd is just one example of this.
Crunchie44

I can understand, I got this feeling weeks ago when questions regarding console were not being answered here or on Twitter so I guess I saw this coming.

I think the disappointing thing is that we assumed console and PC players would experience this together, which is why we hoped for alpha and beta route. Early access is the route taken when v1 is a long way off and can be pushed further out,while also as you said,it's a chance to bring money in,which again points to the game being a long way off. While today is great news for PC players, today's news is effectively a "game delayed into next year" for console players which will understandably lead to a lot of disappointment as console players have really negative experiences with early access coming to console later titles
Kridath

Crunchie44 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:38 am While today is great news for PC players, today's news is effectively a "game delayed into next year" for console players which will understandably lead to a lot of disappointment as console players have really negative experiences with early access coming to console later titles
Its definitely a bummer for those on consoles, and if I was a console gamer I would feel the exact same way. However, I see only good things that can come from this early access to the game. I think the benefits of the early access outweigh the developers releasing on consoles too early with a game state that they don't want to taint the picture of the game.

1) This gives the developers time to see how those on PC stress the game and give metrics on how PC gamers play and the game can handle.

2) All the revisions and pains of the early access with the game wont be felt by those who get access to the 1v release when the game is out officially.

3) The way that this team works, they take feedback well and will ensure the game has a proper full release when the time is right with the incorporation of the consoles.

As Amper has stated and many in the forums have already pointed out, there is a lot of criticism that is behind this game already... And because of that the developers want to ensure that the product is polished and ready for consoles with the full release.
aggimajera

I was really, really hoping this game would avoid Early Access. But, here we are. Victura has a plan, I have a PC. I'll partake in the hope they don't get stuck in it.
Kean_1

Crunchie44 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:07 amYa, but early access allows them to delay the v1 release indefinitely which is usually the case. If this was an alpha-beta route, then you could be optimistic of a console release soon. Early access is a worry for console players,looking like well into 2024 before they see it unfortunately.

Controlled pairs just confirmed it will be 2024 before v1 release unfortunately. Seems my fear about "early access" are confirmed.
Ah crap. That's disappointing for sure. Unfortunately, being the one in our group who took an early retirement, I'm usually the one who follows the news and gives them updates on game releases, dev progress, etc. on titles we're interested in.

I guess it will be about a year at least before we do see the game. ....the same year we are expecting some other anticipated titles to release on console although we thought SDiF would be first. I was really expecting a 2023 release (even if late) but I have to say , I'm really taken aback by the news of a 2024 timeframe.
optimise wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:04 amThey have stated that PC and Console versions will be fully released at the same time in the FAQ, so I wouldn't expect anything similar to what happened with Sandstorm haha, plus they also got some builds of the game running on consoles in-studio which is good news for you guys.
What happened with Sandstorm was more of an outlier due to a variety of factors which all came together to result in an insanely delayed console release. NWI was over-ambitious and not experienced with UE when they started to work on that game & the console port itself was not even managed by them, instead being made by a different studio. SDIF appears to take a much better approach as they're building the two versions of the game alongside eachother and have taken concrete steps to making the console release a reality.

- optimise
Sandstorm is just one example. .....Bohemia Interactive is another and the list goes on. With BI though, they do tend include XB in their early access (e.g. DayZ, Reforger) so I guess there is that.

NWI used to be a good studio but yes, they were overly ambitious. The console release was delayed several times and they had to enlist the help of Black Tower Studio IIRC to get back on track. Unfortunately, that didn't pan out either as the game was delayed once again at the eleventh hour. ....then radio silence on the console front.

It wasn't until later we discovered NWI was acquired by Saber Interactive (who is part of the Embracer Group) and then the wait started all over again with a pitch about leveraging Saber's experience to help with console development.

The release fell short (of my expectations at least) although I could appreciate what was there. Unfortunately, features like the forced matchmaking for coop killed the one game mode we were looking forward to. The repetition of the maps, predictable AI, etc. also gave it a really short shelf life for us. All that waiting for what eventually felt like a mediocre experience. I also didn't like the attitude change within NWI and how they eventually disrespected the console segment of their fan / customer base.

Again, I want to reiterate that I do have more confidence in the devs handling SDiF but I also have to admit that this is certainly a blow that has dampened our excitement / anticipation of the game. ....I'm certainly more wary.

To bring up an earlier point.... I know Sony Interactive doesn't have an early access program (which is a bummer) but XB does. Although it would still mean a long wait for PS folks like me, an early release on XB would at least provide us a glimpse of just how well the game runs on console while still under development. It would also give us a cue as to how close a v1 release would be as we head toward 2024 in 7 months.

.....eek, saying "7 months" out loud didn't help.
Crunchie44

Kean_1 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:04 am
Crunchie44 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:07 amYa, but early access allows them to delay the v1 release indefinitely which is usually the case. If this was an alpha-beta route, then you could be optimistic of a console release soon. Early access is a worry for console players,looking like well into 2024 before they see it unfortunately.

Controlled pairs just confirmed it will be 2024 before v1 release unfortunately. Seems my fear about "early access" are confirmed.
Ah crap. That's disappointing for sure. Unfortunately, being the one in our group who took an early retirement, I'm usually the one who follows the news and gives them updates on game releases, dev progress, etc. on titles we're interested in.

I guess it will be about a year at least before we do see the game. ....the same year we are expecting some other anticipated titles to release on console although we thought SDiF would be first. I was really expecting a 2023 release (even if late) but I have to say , I'm really taken aback by the news of a 2024 timeframe.
optimise wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:04 amThey have stated that PC and Console versions will be fully released at the same time in the FAQ, so I wouldn't expect anything similar to what happened with Sandstorm haha, plus they also got some builds of the game running on consoles in-studio which is good news for you guys.

- optimise
Sandstorm is just one example. .....Bohemia Interactive is another and the list goes on. With BI though, they do tend include XB in their early access (e.g. DayZ, Reforger) so I guess there is that.

NWI used to be a good studio but yes, they were overly ambitious. The console release was delayed several times and they had to enlist the help of Black Tower Studio IIRC to get back on track. Unfortunately, that didn't pan out either as the game was delayed once again at the eleventh hour. ....then radio silence on the console front.

It wasn't until later we discovered NWI was acquired by Saber Interactive (who is part of the Embracer Group) and then the wait started all over again with a pitch about leveraging Saber's experience to help with console development.

The release fell short (of my expectations at least) although I could appreciate what was there. Unfortunately, features like the forced matchmaking for coop killed the one game mode we were looking forward to. The repetition of the maps, predictable AI, etc. also gave it a really short shelf life for us. All that waiting for what eventually felt like a mediocre experience. I also didn't like the attitude change within NWI and how they eventually disrespected the console segment of their fan / customer base.

Again, I want to reiterate that I do have more confidence in the devs handling SDiF but I also have to admit that this is certainly a blow that has dampened our excitement / anticipation of the game. ....I'm certainly more wary.

To bring up an earlier point.... I know Sony Interactive doesn't have an early access program (which is a bummer) but XB does. Although it would still mean a long wait for PS folks like me, an early release on XB would at least provide us a glimpse of just how well the game runs on console while still under development. It would also give us a cue as to how close a v1 release would be as we head toward 2024 in 7 months.

.....eek, saying "7 months" out loud didn't help.
My experience with early access games on PC is that you are looking at well over a year for console release, so I would expect a late 2024 if previous experiences are anything to go by. I remember insurgency devs saying they have the game running on consoles early in development too, so ampers above comment that they also have it running on console means very little in that regard.

Early access news today is effectively a "game delayed into next year and we need funds" as he said in the FAQ. That's worrying. This looks to be heading down the well worn route of- release in early access to PC, initial buzz and excitement, interest wains, release a port to console for more cash at a later date. I hope to God I'm wrong, but today and previous experiences have me very worried
BadKarma

AmperCamper wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:30 am Jumping in as I want to make a few things very clear for everyone:
  • Early Access arrives on June 22 on PC, with the full release of Six Days planned alongside consoles in 2024.
  • We're very aware of the "development hell" many, many games find themselves in when entering Early Access (especially in this genre).
We are not underestimating both the scale and importance of the console community, and we intent to deliver an experience that you all want to play. But, there's a few steps that we needed to take first.

And, consoles have always been in mind with our development. Full controller support being featured when EA launches on the 22nd is just one example of this.
I fully support the Early Access launch but my only concern is that console companies would be against the game, Is there a probability Sony or Microsoft could block the game from releasing on current consoles?
Kridath

BadKarma wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:25 am I fully support the Early Access launch but my only concern is that console companies would be against the game, Is there a probability Sony or Microsoft could block the game from releasing on current consoles?
There have been games way worse that SDiF that have released... Microsoft and Sony can't afford to block games like this. That is why you see the US with all these weird and far reaching games that make you scratch your head how they released. Usually certain countries will restrict games or outright ban them.

So there shouldnt be any concern that console companies will restrict the game.
Jeza

Quick questions (thanks for the update):

During the battle there was ample Armoured and CAS support, plenty of docu's documenting this and Im sure the guys you spoke with let you know, will these be in the game?

Is the SP campaign nearly done or not started?

Special operator mode is Delta/SAS raids type thing?

Thanks.