The Personal Armor Thread — Conceptualizations

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
KoishiVibe

Re: The Personal Armor Thread — Conceptualizations

AmperCamper wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:36 am Welcome to the forums, and a big thanks for your thoughts on these systems! We haven't shared much on our health, medical, and damage systems outside of the fact that health does not regenerate (we're still planning on a deeper dive). There are some interesting takes here that I'll pass to the team.

As always, we welcome more comments and feedback on this.
so its been a

moment. (nice job koishi you forgot your thread existed)

this is one of the more interesting damage systems i've seen sofar. pat yourself down for bullet holes. it looks like you might want something more oriented towards impact passthrough.

i've heard stories of guys taking 7,62AK hits to SAPI, ESAPI and not realizing. 7,62x54mmR from PKM and SVD seems to be enough to hurt you tho. not penetrating, but you'll feel it and get a bruise or somethin. and then at the other ends of the spectrum there's guys not noticing hits from all of these, or complaining of broken ribs from all of them.

maybe on a hit to the body from 5,56 and 7,62AK you don't notice anything unless you get a plate failure, and only from PKM and SVD do you actually get the "hit" notification.
you can still hit F and pat yourself down, realize your plate caught it with the light rifle rounds though.
RaggedOldFlag

There were/are so many variables that determine the effectiveness of ballistic plates. In ‘07 I saw ESAPI plates stop standard AK 7.62x39 rounds and also saw shrapnel from a suicide vest pen the front ESAPI and pass all the way through the body and exit the rear ESAPI. Also saw ACH/MICH helmets stop/deflect rounds as well as rounds to full pen center mass right through the NVG mounting plate. I had a ricochet tracer bounce off my front plate at one point and only knew it because I saw it hit and fall. After all I experienced in a couple combat trips in Iraq I’m convinced that surviving any hit is sheer luck
KoishiVibe

RaggedOldFlag wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:09 pm There were/are so many variables that determine the effectiveness of ballistic plates. In ‘07 I saw ESAPI plates stop standard AK 7.62x39 rounds and also saw shrapnel from a suicide vest pen the front ESAPI and pass all the way through the body and exit the rear ESAPI. Also saw ACH/MICH helmets stop/deflect rounds as well as rounds to full pen center mass right through the NVG mounting plate. I had a ricochet tracer bounce off my front plate at one point and only knew it because I saw it hit and fall. After all I experienced in a couple combat trips in Iraq I’m convinced that surviving any hit is sheer luck
yeah i don't have an answer. either the blast vest generated an EFP somehow that zapped him through and through, or maybe you just saw it from a funny angle.

wrt helmet deflection... at shallow angles i know 7,62AK is liable to fail. with the ECH i know its rated versus 7,62AK all the way around at all aspects

but.

to an extnet yeah. crack propagation can really screw you if you're just the most unlucky man on the planet... ..