SDiF Multiplayer is a Mistake

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Fallujah1019

Re: SDiF Multiplayer is a Mistake

“When watching in a group it becomes easier to detach from the events on screen.” But if we have the option to choose what we want to play then I don’t see the problem. I can choose to play coop and you can choose the single player.
aggimajera

Fallujah1019 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:36 am “When watching in a group it becomes easier to detach from the events on screen.” But if we have the option to choose what we want to play then I don’t see the problem. I can choose to play coop and you can choose the single player.
The problem is the seeming core intent of the game, showing what happened to you guys in Fallujah on the ground, is in jeopardy of facing serious dilution. It has the potential to serve as the antithesis of the cautionary tale against war this game seems to strive for.

Multiplayers inclusion is a potential weak point in that endeavor. If creating an engaging tactical shooter that friends can enjoy together is a goal, Fallujah is the wrong setting for that and will draw scores of justified ire.

I’m likely alone here on this forum in my opinion and that’s okay. But my concerns are reasonable and, even after being presented counterpoints, I have little reason to believe that they’ll be proven wrong.
Fallujah1019

aggimajera wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:34 pm
Fallujah1019 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:36 am “When watching in a group it becomes easier to detach from the events on screen.” But if we have the option to choose what we want to play then I don’t see the problem. I can choose to play coop and you can choose the single player.
The problem is the seeming core intent of the game, showing what happened to you guys in Fallujah on the ground, is in jeopardy of facing serious dilution. It has the potential to serve as the antithesis of the cautionary tale against war this game seems to strive for.

Multiplayers inclusion is a potential weak point in that endeavor. If creating an engaging tactical shooter that friends can enjoy together is a goal, Fallujah is the wrong setting for that and will draw scores of justified ire.

I’m likely alone here on this forum in my opinion and that’s okay. But my concerns are reasonable and, even after being presented counterpoints, I have little reason to believe that they’ll be proven wrong.
Correct me if I’m wrong but in simple terms you are saying that you are worried that if people play multiplayer, then people won’t see Fallujah as it really was? However in my opinion, if people are wanting to play the game as it is supposed to be played then I'm sure people will find the right group to play with that also are paying attention to the details of the game and how it connected to real life. However if people are going into the game with people while not trying to connect it to real life, then would they really be the person that would want to make those connections in the single player? Probably not. In my opinion you're going to get out what you put in. It's kind of up to the person to decide what you want and form your own opinion. A game can only do so much. We just have to wait and see how this works out. All in all, if people choose the right crowd to play with then coop will work out really good. And if people don't see details then that's their fault. At the end of the day it is just a game even though it's not meant to be “just a game.”
GhostLeader

You talk about RON, but playing solo, it sucks in the long run, AI's don't bring this human part, they just execute the orders we give them stupidly and simply, there is no brotherhood, no empathy... Whereas playing with friends, giving them objectives, there the game becomes interesting and opens other perspectives. Same example with Arma 3, playing solo? Without mods?
It's unthinkable today, the game was released in 2013 and is still a reference, because the Milsim teams bring a humanity that we don't have with AI.
If the game is single player it will just be a forgettable game in a few months/years, whereas with multiplayer/coop, it brings a greater longevity.
This is my view on the issue.
aggimajera

Fallujah1019 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:26 am
aggimajera wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:34 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong but in simple terms you are saying that you are worried that if people play multiplayer, then people won’t see Fallujah as it really was? However in my opinion, if people are wanting to play the game as it is supposed to be played then I'm sure people will find the right group to play with that also are paying attention to the details of the game and how it connected to real life. However if people are going into the game with people while not trying to connect it to real life, then would they really be the person that would want to make those connections in the single player? Probably not. In my opinion you're going to get out what you put in. It's kind of up to the person to decide what you want and form your own opinion. A game can only do so much. We just have to wait and see how this works out. All in all, if people choose the right crowd to play with then coop will work out really good. And if people don't see details then that's their fault. At the end of the day it is just a game even though it's not meant to be “just a game.”
I suppose looking at it from that angle alleviates some, but its still a bit disappointing to have to look at it that way. Nothing will ever be able to replicate being there, but my expectation was for this game to be the closest we could get. A game can only do so much, but in terms of placing you "there" a single player game will always bring you closer. In my opinion at least. Wait and see I guess.
Kean_1

aggimajera wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:00 am I suppose looking at it from that angle alleviates some, but its still a bit disappointing to have to look at it that way. Nothing will ever be able to replicate being there, but my expectation was for this game to be the closest we could get. A game can only do so much, but in terms of placing you "there" a single player game will always bring you closer. In my opinion at least. Wait and see I guess.
Wait and see what though? What's your metric for proving you or us wrong? Honestly, on this topic, I don't see any way to tell anyone "I told you so" when everything is said and done. Opinions might change but that's up to the individual.

At the end of the day SDiF is a game. ....an authentic, FPS, tactical shooter game. The difference I see however is that this title really delves into the stories and perspectives of those involved in this battle placing the player in some of those scenarios to get an idea of what these folks went through.

Look, folks are going to buy this game for various reasons and opinions, feelings, etc. will also vary. The campaign and these stories will have more of an impact on some than others. Some (I'll wager many) will be more attracted to this game for the authentic, tactical nature of the gameplay. There are a lot of folks out there who really enjoy that genre and enjoy sharing those experiences with friends. .....SQUAD, ARMA, Insurgency, Hell Let Loose, etc., etc.

Think of this way..... If you can attract more people to this game by including a mode like co-op, the more these stories can be shared and maybe more people will walk away with a better understanding of what some of those involved had gone through. ....and that's not a bad thing IMO.