Next SITREP?

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
aggimajera

Re: Next SITREP?

Blade0351 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:00 am
AmperCamper wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:32 am Thanks for voicing your concerns, guys.

I can assure you that, unlike Ubisoft (which has now cancelled 7 mega-game projects during just the last 6 months) and many of the industry’s other biggest, and best-resourced companies who also have been cancelling many development projects less publicly, our team of 55+ people is still working diligently to build an experience with both the authenticity and sustainability to stand the test of time. We understand the frustration with the long delays, and we especially appreciate those of you who have expressed a willingness to stand by for as long as you have as the game takes shape.

We are targeting late February for our next release of information. Of course, it’s possible we could be off by a little bit, but that’s roughly when we plan to reveal a LOT more info.
Late February reads more like "Mid-March" to me at this point and a "LOT" of info reads like 15+ seconds of gameplay and maybe some screenshots. Hoping to be proved wrong and not trying to sound harsh but since you guys do appear to value honest feedback, there it is.

And again, Amper I want to stress that I think we all know that you are only the middle man and doing what you can for us. So understand our frustration isn't with you. Maybe call up Pete and have him drop the next update. I think that would go a long way.
I’m going to be honest as well - that was the type of answer I dreaded hearing. Admittedly, my heart sank reading *roughly* late February. It’s not concrete. It’s the open-ended answer that is at the core of the growing frustration. I’ll say this at least - this forum will likely be a ghost town by late February.

Likewise. I don’t mean to sound harsh but it’s how many of us feel. Amper is the unfortunate front to this, and I regret he needs to read the words like they’re directed at him.

I’m with you Blade - an update from Tamte even. Just something to keep the community in the loop in some way.
BadKarma

AmperCamper wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:32 am Thanks for voicing your concerns, guys.

I can assure you that, unlike Ubisoft (which has now cancelled 7 mega-game projects during just the last 6 months) and many of the industry’s other biggest, and best-resourced companies who also have been cancelling many development projects less publicly, our team of 55+ people is still working diligently to build an experience with both the authenticity and sustainability to stand the test of time. We understand the frustration with the long delays, and we especially appreciate those of you who have expressed a willingness to stand by for as long as you have as the game takes shape.

We are targeting late February for our next release of information. Of course, it’s possible we could be off by a little bit, but that’s roughly when we plan to reveal a LOT more info.
Thanks for the heads up, Amper. The talk about Ubisoft does share food for thought, speaking about companies, will the game offer promotion on one particular platform more than the other? For example, Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell both got featured a lot on Xbox back in the old days (current day example would be S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2, the only other game besides SDIF I'm hyped for this 2023) while Sony promotes IPs like with Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil, despite being third party, I was wondering if the same will apply to SDIF.
Enthusiast

aggimajera wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:57 am
Blade0351 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:00 am

Late February reads more like "Mid-March" to me at this point and a "LOT" of info reads like 15+ seconds of gameplay and maybe some screenshots. Hoping to be proved wrong and not trying to sound harsh but since you guys do appear to value honest feedback, there it is.

And again, Amper I want to stress that I think we all know that you are only the middle man and doing what you can for us. So understand our frustration isn't with you. Maybe call up Pete and have him drop the next update. I think that would go a long way.
I’m going to be honest as well - that was the type of answer I dreaded hearing. Admittedly, my heart sank reading *roughly* late February. It’s not concrete. It’s the open-ended answer that is at the core of the growing frustration. I’ll say this at least - this forum will likely be a ghost town by late February.

Likewise. I don’t mean to sound harsh but it’s how many of us feel. Amper is the unfortunate front to this, and I regret he needs to read the words like they’re directed at him.

I’m with you Blade - an update from Tamte even. Just something to keep the community in the loop in some way.
It's kinda hard for me at this point to believe we'll be getting anything by late February, after all the last SITREP was supposed to cover AI and fireteam roles, but instead we got incredibly choppy gameplay footage regarding breaching, I get that that was due to a network issue, but regardless of that I'm pretty sure most of us were hoping for something longer, and let's not forget how it was promised from late October to early November, and we ended up getting it late December...my support for this game will never die, but I'm very worried about what comes next.
absent

Would it be viable to produce some kind of technical changelog in addition to full sitreps? Obviously you don't want to waste dev time producing this and you wouldn't want to give away too much info, but I am guessing part of the problem wrt the lack of SITREPS is that they don't always have something flashy to show off while building out core features. A lot of the games I play will release a changelog that roughly go over technical challenges that were worked out. It could just get released on these forums while the SITREPS go out to a wider audience, even. I'm not sure how viable that is for an unreleased game. I think someone has made similar suggestions in the past, but I can't seem to find it.

I think a lot of my concern is due to a fear that the company will run out of runway before they have time to finish the game. I'm a dev in a different field and unique new features are pretty hard to estimate, timeline wise. I'm just hoping they are able to continue dev for as long as it takes. Usually financials are tied to timelines, and if you can't accurately estimate timelines that can become a problem. Hoping the upcoming info in Feb will alleviate some of these fears. I'm happy to wait as long as they are in a position to keep the development going, though. It feels like the game may be in a less finished state than I previously believed. I'm totally okay with that, but I don't think that's being communicated if it's the case.

I feel like most big games take like 3 - 5 years to develop and this game was picked back up for development in Feb 2021 or something, correct? Obviously length of dev changes a lot based on various factors but I don't think we're way out of the norm here or anything. Hopefully the internal timelines are realistic.
Kridath

Amper, its now at the end of February, is this still looking like a timeline that we should expect or should we be waiting a little more into March?
aggimajera

Kridath wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:19 pm

Amper, its now at the end of February, is this still looking like a timeline that we should expect or should we be waiting a little more into March?
I was wondering who'd ask first :D
Blade0351

We all know it probably won't be until late March or early April that we get any new info. I told y'all earlier that when they say late Feb, they really meant like a month or two after that lol
aggimajera

Blade0351 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:37 am We all know it probably won't be until late March or early April that we get any new info. I told y'all earlier that when they say late Feb, they really meant like a month or two after that lol
Without any malice, I have ta agree here. The amount of time that has passed and the consistent vagueness leaves little in the way of confidence. I really wish they could just lay out something concrete for us to mark on our calendars.
Kean_1

"We are targeting late February for our next release of information. Of course, it’s possible we could be off by a little bit, but that’s roughly when we plan to reveal a LOT more info."

Personally, I think Amper and team have been pretty upfront with us. So far, I haven't had a sense they've been misleading, etc.

As far as the next SITREP, Amper said by end of Feb or perhaps a little later is what they are targeting so yeah, I'll wager that could lead us into March if we don't see anything in the next week. .....yes, we still have a few days to go this month.

Either way, given the relatively small size of their team, I think they've been doing a good job so far revealing what they are able, when they are able. ...a much better job than some other developers I've followed.
aggimajera

Kean_1 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:00 pm "We are targeting late February for our next release of information. Of course, it’s possible we could be off by a little bit, but that’s roughly when we plan to reveal a LOT more info."

Personally, I think Amper and team have been pretty upfront with us. So far, I haven't had a sense they've been misleading, etc.

As far as the next SITREP, Amper said by end of Feb or perhaps a little later is what they are targeting so yeah, I'll wager that could lead us into March if we don't see anything in the next week. .....yes, we still have a few days to go this month.

Either way, given the relatively small size of their team, I think they've been doing a good job so far revealing what they are able, when they are able. ...a much better job than some other developers I've followed.
No one is saying they've been misleading. We're saying they're being vague.

A substantial amount of us are understandably wondering when then next step is, and still more of us don't even know what the final product is going to be, if it'll turn into an early access title, ect. We're two years in, and the nature of the product is still a matter of speculation. I'd agree Amper is upfront - but answers are often quite open ended and often leave as many questions as answers, so far leading to no resolution. No fault to Amper since he is a representative of the company, but going 2 years without a major update isn't good by any measure. Most of us want to see the product delivered to the best its able... but after this long without major word it becomes easy to grow cynical, and becomes common to write off the project entirely.

In the beginning I was writing posts that took sometimes an hour to write to articulately deliver my admiration for the team, concept, and project. Others did too. Now its just become light poking and prodding just trying to extract anything meaningful to chew on. I often find myself torn between my love for this project and my irritation of how little we've learned since the first gameplay reveal 2 years ago. I'll keep waiting, but I feel I speak for many voicing frustration.