Beta

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
yoursinglestar

Beta

This is more of a question on why cant we play the beta rather than when are we able to. I have a lot of games of my wishlist going into 2023 and I'm wondering from a developer standpoint, when is the moment that game developers release a beta or an early access? I know it varies game to game but unfortunately, a lot of games on my wishlist look like they're ready to be tested right now but are often pushed back repeatedly as they try to add more content where as we can be playing it alongside the devs and providing feedback until release. Call me impatient but I'd much rather play a game during development like with Ready Or Not or Escape From Tarkov than constantly checking steam or discord every single day for 4 months just for a small devlog
ZenTakJack

Re: Beta

I'll give my two cents. Yes a Beta test is going to happen for six days. Taking an educated guess i would have to say sometime during the first half of 2023. Meaning anywhere from January to June, as that would be a realistic range. But who knows. Game development can be a rollercoaster sometimes. There are moments where it feels you are making large progress and then all of a sudden a new "brick wall" shows up and slows everything until it's resolved.

This is the case with Six Days. A small team with ambitious goals and the most important thing is time. It takes time for new developers and staff to become comfortable with the environment and the tools needed to make an impact on the progression on the project. It's a slow process but once it gets going the pace picks up. I'd like to think that where the game is now "most" of their major technical or fundamental hurdles have been resolved throughout 2022. Even in the little footage we have received i can already see an improvement over say the original IGN first gameplay preview from 1.5 years ago.

The first impressions mean everything really. Even with a Beta the game has to be in a reasonable state of completion as to make sure the experience is solid and the core flow of the game is enjoyable and satisfying to play. They aren't really going for Early Access witch is fine in my opinion. they could have done it a year ago if they wanted but ultimately they want to take the time to make sure they deliver the best product they can given their resources. And Time is the most effective in that especially for smaller studios.

If AmperCamper has anything to add in feel free to do so. Hopefully i've explained this pretty well.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: Beta

We're in a very unique situation not only as an indie studio but also with Six Days as a project. We're being judged with AAA quality with every piece of media released, and that creates a series of expectations as we're compared to the CODs and BFs of today. We're certainly up to the challenge, but this also means the decisions we make around beta testing and release are absolutely critical.

With that being said, we understand the value that communities bring to development. There's a balancing act playing here, where we'd like to define as much as we can on the backend, but we also want you folks participating in what we're doing right and wrong. Your comments and critiques have already had tremendous impact on what Six Days looks and plays like, and we intend to keep this process kicking.

We won't be hiding beta news in a small devblog somewhere, either. It's my job to ensure you folks don't miss it.