The gameplay design behind SDIF.

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
BadKarma

The gameplay design behind SDIF.

The thing that caught my mind about first learning about the SDIF revival was that it was being developed by former Halo devs, as you know Halo was a big hit on consoles, I remember one interview about Bungie co-founder Jason Jones, that although it was bit of disrespect towards PC gaming, in essence what would be for many gamers, Halo made Keyboard and Mouse controls obsolete.

Quote "We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo in order to reach out to people. We limited players on two weapons, we gave them regenerating health, we automatically saved and restored the game. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to.

These ambitious things were almost heretical of first person shooters at the time, so it's curious to me that Halo devs working in SDIF are going back (somewhat) to the style of older FPSs before Halo made its debut, meaning no recharging health and possibly no checkpoints.

Of course, Halo did things right by introducing a healthy quality over quantity weapon sandbox in the game, every gun had its uses and I'm prediciting the same thing here with SDIF.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: The gameplay design behind SDIF.

Yes, we're certainly expecting SDIF to shake up the tactical shooter space with some of the gameplay decisions we're making coupled with the feedback from you guys. And, if I may say, we have some talented folks at Highwire working under the hood.