Camp Fallujah

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Enthusiast

Camp Fallujah

I recently saw that a thread in the suggestions and feedback forum regarding how the game should have players wait before throwing them straight into the action and some have suggested having a sort of training camp as a sort of tutorial, personally I feel like this is a pretty good way about this, something similar to the mission S.S.D.D from MW2 could work,but obviously much more grounded, and as the title suggests, why not have camp Fallujah be that base?.

I'm sure a lot of the soldiers you guys have interviewed have given you a pretty good insight into there experience at the camp,mabey even have it as the setting for an artillery crew mission as the photo suggests.
4-14_Marines_in_Fallujah.jpg
4-14_Marines_in_Fallujah.jpg (128.84 KiB) Viewed 2128 times
Last edited by Enthusiast on Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: Camp Fallujah

Thanks for this suggestion! Curious to hear what others think about this. I don't have more to share on a tutorial experience yet, but we're tracking feedback on the topic.
Kean_1

Honestly? I just think a walk-through getting folks familiar with the controls is enough. Maybe an obstacle course and / or shoot house to show how to move, fire, throw, etc.

Personally, I just want something that gets me comfortable with the controls because if they feel familiar as you say, then it shouldn't take a lot of mucking about for most to get the point across. Otherwise it's a waste of development resources IMO for an aspect of the game that many will never need to revisit after the first time. They will want to get straight into the action.
aggimajera

Kean_1 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:56 am Honestly? I just think a walk-through getting folks familiar with the controls is enough. Maybe an obstacle course and / or shoot house to show how to move, fire, throw, etc.

Personally, I just want something that gets me comfortable with the controls because if they feel familiar as you say, then it shouldn't take a lot of mucking about for most to get the point across. Otherwise it's a waste of development resources IMO for an aspect of the game that many will never need to revisit after the first time. They will want to get straight into the action.
Agreed. A tutorial for basic movements is good enough. Many games integrate introducing new aspects of a games design through increasingly varied and difficult level design. Then, towards the end when you are in the final stages or facing final bosses, everything you've learned in-game is touched upon to prevail. I'd appreciate that more than putting it there for us in Camp Fallujah. You can write "Complacency Kills" at the VCP, but it means more when you've come to know it firsthand.
aggimajera

Enthusiast wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:21 pm I recently saw that a thread in the suggestions and feedback forum regarding how the game should have players wait before throwing them straight into the action and some have suggested having a sort of training camp as a sort of tutorial, personally I feel like this is a pretty good way about this, something similar to the mission S.S.D.D from MW2 could work,but obviously much more grounded, and as the title suggests, why not have camp Fallujah be that base?.

I'm sure a lot of the soldiers you guys have interviewed have given you a pretty good insight into there experience at the camp,mabey even have it as the setting for an artillery crew mission as the photo suggests.4-14_Marines_in_Fallujah.jpg
It might make more sense if Six Days was a feature heavy team-based multiplayer game like Squad or Arma. This is marketed more as a narrative-driven shooter game. In a realistic sense everyone who deployed there already had their SOP's down as good as it was gunna get. A few of em likely conducted hip-pocket refreshers at the platoon down to individual level, but resources at that stage of the war were allocated more to the assault than training ranges.

Consider it this way: every one of us is a shooter game veteran. Think of that knowledge we gained from other shooters as the knowledge Marines acquire in workups. That Marine, like those of us who know shooters, know the infantryman's job but hasn't popped his combat cherry yet. He knows the concept but is now in the real thing. It is familiar to his training, but more different than he ever imagined it would be.

The more I consider it, the more I don't think we need a tutorial in a game like this. We have the knowledge, so drop us in.
Enthusiast

Well if it's anything like every other FPS the basics should stay the same so yeah it probably is a good idea to just drop us in, but like I suggested in the thread I feel like it should still have a presence in the game like cutscenes or an artillery mission that serves to add a bit more variety to the experience, not that the game will get boring after 10 seconds, I just feel like having some mission that differentiate would be a nice and with procedural arthichture I feel like this shouldn't be a problem.
Fallujah1019

Enthusiast wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:21 pm I recently saw that a thread in the suggestions and feedback forum regarding how the game should have players wait before throwing them straight into the action and some have suggested having a sort of training camp as a sort of tutorial, personally I feel like this is a pretty good way about this, something similar to the mission S.S.D.D from MW2 could work,but obviously much more grounded, and as the title suggests, why not have camp Fallujah be that base?.

I'm sure a lot of the soldiers you guys have interviewed have given you a pretty good insight into there experience at the camp,mabey even have it as the setting for an artillery crew mission as the photo suggests.4-14_Marines_in_Fallujah.jpg
I like that idea. I also think if the tutorial is good enough it will kind of hype everyone up to play the actual game itself.
Badd_Karrmaa

Optional tutorial. Everyone's happy
Enthusiast

Guess that's done and Said with lol