Weapon jams

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Enthusiast

Weapon jams

I've mentioned this in past threads,but has any thought been given to weapon jams? It would add to that authenticity factor and add another layer of difficulty besides the drugged up insurgents which I mentioned in another thread,now there are multiple ways to go about this such as having a way to maintain your weapon to reduce the possibility of your gun jamming or having happen it at random intervals mabey even have it happen on weapons that are notorious for said jams.

The only weapon I can think of however with frequent Jams is the SAW,but then again every weapon would be the same if you didn't maintain it properly and I can only imagine the fear when you kick down that door and you come face to face with an insurgent and your gun doesn't fire.
aggimajera

Re: Weapon jams

Enthusiast wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:53 am I've mentioned this in past threads,but has any thought been given to weapon jams? It would add to that authenticity factor and add another layer of difficulty besides the drugged up insurgents which I mentioned in another thread,now there are multiple ways to go about this such as having a way to maintain your weapon to reduce the possibility of your gun jamming or having happen it at random intervals mabey even have it happen on weapons that are notorious for said jams.

The only weapon I can think of however with frequent Jams is the SAW,but then again every weapon would be the same of you didn't maintain it properly and I can only imagine the fear when you kick down that door and you come face to face with an insurgent and your gun doesn't fire.
You'd have to ask the guys who were there if that ever factored into their experiences. In the infantry stoppages were one part of life we had a lot of control over. Sufficient cleaning and clp application kept it out of mind. Sometimes though it was something out of your control like a crappy magazine or, rarely, a crappy M4.

We did discuss it in a previous forum. I hope something like this is included to some degree.
Enthusiast

Yeah weapon jams were something that were extremely subjective and varied from person to person and it all depend on you maintained your rifle/gun though I'm probably not the best person to comment on this,while I do have knowledge on guns I'm not very well versed in thier inner workings and weapon maintenance.
Kean_1

Enthusiast wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:39 am Yeah weapon jams were something that were extremely subjective and varied from person to person and it all depend on you maintained your rifle/gun though I'm probably not the best person to comment on this,while I do have knowledge on guns I'm not very well versed in thier inner workings and weapon maintenance.
This is my take on the subject......

There is a lot that factors into "jams" like problems with certain ammunition, magazines as mentioned, maintenance (or lack thereof) and sometimes just the weapon itself is perhaps prone to malfunctions due to bad design, worn parts, defects, etc. ....then there are all the various types of failures like squibs, failure to feed, failure to extract, failure to fire, stovepipes, etc., etc., etc.

I have guns that can jam for various reasons and in different ways that may be more sensitive to what ammo I feed them, magazines I use, over-sensitivity to fouling, etc. .....and I have others that never (knock on wood) malfunction no matter what I do.

The problem I have with simulating "weapon jamming" is that it tends to get taken too far in games that include this kind of mechanic. ......to the point in some cases of causing frustration rather than immersion.

Also, in a tactical shooter like SDiF, the last thing I would want to do is be forced to perform maintenance to avoid jams. There were a lot of boring things soldiers had to endure that I don't necessarily want to relive in a game.

IMO, those mechanics are best left to genres like survival games such as DayZ and the like that delve into these sort of intricacies. In that game, the weapons go through various states from use with each lower state having a higher probability of a jam. You have to use gun cleaning kits to bring the weapon back up to a better state. ....but again, weapons seem to get worn / dirty much faster than in real life and all weapons are treated equal in this regard which is also not a reality.

I like hardcore survival games such as DayZ and even rent servers at times for my friends and I to play on. ....but I don't necessarily think game mechanics like weapon jamming and maintenance to avoid it would necessarily translate well in a tactical shooter like SDiF which focuses on unit tactics, planning / coordination, communication, CQC, etc.

Perhaps I'm in a minority in thinking this but I guess I'd hate to see SDiF lose that focus / identity by trying to add too many of these other types of elements which might distract from those core gameplay aspects that the team is striving for.
Enthusiast

Your definitely correct on it being frustrating at times since this is definitely something that can become infuriating especially if not handled properly and I should also probably mention that this isn't something I'm too passionate about if its not in the game it will not affect my view on the game and looking back now...I'm kinda rethinking this as well since it still is a game you wanna have fun playing it and sometimes trying to make it too realistic can make the game incredibly frustrating though that is pretty much a given.
Mudroc0311

During Phantom Fury my Platoon Commander had us rotating with one squad manning the guns up on rooftops and doorways, one squad on rest (this is when weapon maintenance is done, along with eating or sleeping) and one squad on Quick React Force. The QRF is there incase of a CASEVAC, or a working party needed for when Gunny came with a resupply of Ammo, Water and MREs. And lastly, incase the Squad that is manning the murder holes needed extra firepower.

I can probably count on one hand how many times my weapon failed on me during Phantom Fury. If you're not upstairs manning a murder hole you're downstairs prepping for the next push.

I attached a photo to show you what a "murder hole" is. It's a hole we made into walls using a hooligan tool. The murder holes are highlighted next to the red arrows.

To give you context why we are standing up and out of cover, this photo was taken at the southern edge of the city after we thought the battle had concluded once we reached the desert again. My friend and I are facing towards the North and you can still see CAS doing work.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221011_172813_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221011_172813_Gallery.jpg (149.17 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
Enthusiast

As mentioned in my previous reply there are many ways to go about doing this,but I feel like this should only happen for mabey a certain mission were it is a factor or something that occurs when you play a harder difficulty.

Murder holes are also something that'll probably be in the game along with occupying Rooftops as I'm sure you'd be hard pressed to not find a story were it involved being on a Rooftop for long periods of time,also what aircraft was in the background providing CAS?.
Mudroc0311

Enthusiast wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:58 pm what aircraft was in the background providing CAS?.
Not sure, maybe it was a AC-130. I remember being told her callsign was Basher over the net.

Then again maybe it was a CFF mission. Arty put in a lot of work too.
Enthusiast

That must've been a spectacle to see lol hope we'll see some of those moments in six days were the air support is tearing shit up and you get the pleasure of being able to witnesses it in all its badassery.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Thanks for all the feedback on this! Since our last discussion on jams, we don’t plan to include weapons jams in our initial release. With that being said, this might be something that could make its way into some kind of hardcore mode down the road.