The Downtime

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Enthusiast

The Downtime

So something that I mentioned in one of my threads is whenever your not kicking down Doors how exactly will this game portray you taking a moment to rest in the house you just finished clearing or in the Rooftop your occupying since in a lot of photos you can see marines resting on couches or simply chatting on a Rooftop while thier gunner keeps overwatch probably singing skater boy or teenage dirtbag.

A good way of doing this is to keep the dialouge entertaining when thier not under fire or clearing rooms,anybody who has watched generation kill will tell you that a lot of thier conversations can be some of funniest and fucked up things you'll ever hear, and the dialouge is a crucial aspect in showing how much these men care for one another and the bond they have for each other.

While I do have confidence in the six days team to this since they have interviewed real marines I hope they don't censor the humor in six days and a feature where you and your sqaud can rest will definitely be welcome as not accurately portraying the dialouge or censoring some of the offensive humor would be disingenuous to what thier trying to here which is telling the stories of the marines who had to endure this.
Last edited by Enthusiast on Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kean_1

Re: The Downtime

Enthusiast wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:14 am So something that I mentioned in one of my threads is whenever your not kicking down Doors how exactly will this game portray you taking a moment to rest in the house you just finished clearing or in the Rooftop your occupying since in a lot of photos you can see marines resting on couches or simply chatting on a Rooftop while thier gunner keeps overwatch probably singing skater boy or teenage dirtbag.
I honestly can't see them portraying moments like these in anything more than cutscenes or segues between missions, menus, etc.

Things that work well in movies don't necessarily translate well into games if overdone. I could see events like this being kinda cool as a loading screen after a mission, as a menu screen (perhaps even interactive), etc.
Enthusiast

I don't mind them including this in only cutscenes or after a mission is over what I am against is them censoring the dialouge to appeal to people that aren't even going to buy the game in the first place, one of the reasons why generation kill is regarded as the most accurate to portraying the military was because of the humor that alone made the show pretty accurate to the culture military guys have and I would hate seeing that aspect of the game taken away.
Mudroc0311

I found this photo of us taking some downtime after 3 of our guys were wounded during room clearing. As you can see nobody is talking. We're coming down from an Adrenaline rush. And from a simple Google search it says "The After Effects. After a rush of adrenaline, the body slowly comes down from the peak hormone rush. The body was flooded with energy in case of emergency, but the post-rush drop in blood sugar is what can cause your hands to shake and your legs to feel weak."

So, I don't think players are going to enjoy that aspect of what really happened. The only times we were cheerful was after the effects of Fatigue faded. But, that was different from person to person. I remember one time I was so spent I went into the inner most room of a house (so that the rpgs wouldn't blast me away) that I removed my glasses and took a nap for which felt like hours
but was closer to a few minutes. It was right after an event that we call "The Candy Shop." I was recovering from a tank blast that went off within 10 meters from me. And I was in a daze.

I censored everyone except for Lcpl Bullen in this photo to ensure the men's privacy. Lcpl Bullen died a few months before separating from the Marines.
Attachments
received_272431991356330.jpeg
received_272431991356330.jpeg (185.25 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
Enthusiast

I'm sorry to hear about that man I guess what I'm trying to get at is maybe during cutscenes they do show them Taking the time they have to breathe even without any dialouge would work for me to show just how tiring and grueling urban combat is.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Thanks for all the feedback on this, especially Mudroc sharing some of his experience. We are featuring a variety of combat dialogue, and some of our documentary segments describe some of the banter between squadmates (though this is very personal and specific to each story).
Kean_1 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:58 am Things that work well in movies don't necessarily translate well into games if overdone. I could see events like this being kinda cool as a loading screen after a mission, as a menu screen (perhaps even interactive), etc.
Thanks for the suggestion, Kean. I'll share this with the team!