Close air support

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Enthusiast

Close air support

This is gonna be a sort of a follow-up to my first post on here as I'd figure I'd go more in depth as the other had a lot of problems when it came to Grammer and structure,now we do know that air support has been confirmed for six days but besides that confirmation we really don't have much to go off of besides some ambient jet noises in the background so this thread is mainly going to be speculating on how they'll handle things.

There were a vast majority of fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft used during fallujah a lot of which I brought up in my first thread,but it seems like the major ones were:AH-1Z Vipers/Cobras and AH-64 Apache attack helicopters both of which especially the Apache saw a lot of successful fire missions during the battle,and when it comes to fixed wing aircraft you have:F16 falcon F18 super hornets and the f15 eagle and I think harrier VTOL aircraft especially AC-130 gunships.

Now before you get the wrong idea I'm not asking for all of these to be in the game I'm not I'm simply trying to trying get and idea of what we'll see in the game when it comes out and there are a lot of questions I have regarding air support for example will you be able to call in a fire mission whenever you'd like or will it depend on your assigned role or mission and if you were to call in a let's say a nearby cobra or Apache how long would it stay to provide air support and because I've heard AC-130 gunships be mentioned in a QNA how exactly would that work without full building destruction?since the AC-130 munitions especially the 105mm howitzer could definitely total a buliding easy and the same goes calling in an air strike or artillery strike on a house you suspect houses insurgents or an Apache or Cobra firing a missle at the house.

EDIT:So while I was typing this out I completely forgot to mention the A 10 thunderbolt lol I'm not exactly sure to what extent it was used during fallujah but I can imagine a lot since I remember seeing a video of an A10 strafing a minaret, and as I've mentioned in past threads hearing that BRRRRRRRT is a sound most like to hear and I'm sure most in the millsim community would agree with me on that,but the questions on the third paragraph are what I hope get answered as well as how certain close air support will function due to the lack of full building destruction.
Last edited by Enthusiast on Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Mudroc0311

Re: Close air support and danger close

Enthusiast wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:16 am will calling in a danger close fire mission from let's say an artillery strike or a JDAM from an f18 result on your squad mates questioning you or pointing out how this could end very badly?
I laughed reading this. Nobody questioned the "sir" when he decides to drop bombs danger close. We always played around with it or straight up give zero F's about it. Because we always knew it was dropping on some bad dudes forehead. I attached a photo to just show you some of the crazy antics we would do.
Attachments
20221004_133718.jpg
20221004_133718.jpg (220.77 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
Enthusiast

I mainly included that part since I always assumed it was always discouraged to order an air or artillery strike danger close because of a scene from generation kill where one of the characters calls out one of his officers for calling in an artillery strike 200 meters from there position,but that is a very big difference from 600 meters and the command in the show is played of as incompetent and since the show is regarded as being the most accurate when it comes to military I kept that In mind when typing this out.
Last edited by Enthusiast on Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mudroc0311

I attended the 15th reunion, during the reunion some very high ranking Officers were giving out statistics on how CAS and CFF missions were being called on us at very close ranges and in incredible numbers.

I enclosed a video so you can see what the conditions were like for us as we were very happy to see CAS and CFF in the works.

Enthusiast

Holy shit that was awesome! I actually mentioned insurgents using minarets as sniper nests and this very scenario is something I hope makes its way into the game you and your boys call in a nearby f16 to destroy a sniper utilizing a minaret and your squad acts all ecstatic when the jet destroys the insurgent sniper.
BadKarma

Did the marines use the burst firemode on their M16s or it was exclusively single fire?
Mudroc0311

BadKarma wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:58 am Did the marines use the burst firemode on their M16s or it was exclusively single fire?
I can't speak for everyone. But I strictly ran semi auto.
Enthusiast

So you mentioned that you were never under any worry when calling a danger close fire mission if you don't mind me asking how did that go?
Mudroc0311

Just keep your mouth open and your fingers in your ear (if your not firing back.) Also, I never called CAS or CFF. That's the "sir's" job. I was a boot Lance Coconut at the time so that wasn't my thing.
Unknown0351

BadKarma wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:58 am Did the marines use the burst firemode on their M16s or it was exclusively single fire?
We are usually chewed out if we fire our M16’s on burst during training I only recall firing on burst twice during training and one time I was at the extreme right when our entire company got online to expel ammunition at the end of training. So there was no higher-up’s around. In combat I’ve never needed burst because its less accurate and we can send a lot of round down sector on semi if needed.