Squadmate Questions!

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Azariel

Squadmate Questions!

Even more questions!
Hope that the crew at Highwire have been doing well these past months and that the procedural architecture tech is getting easier to handle day-by-day.
Excited for that new SITREP soon!

I'm unsure if these questions have been asked and answered before (because the search system on the forums is really bad) so I'll ask them anyhow.

1. Squadmate AI Autonomy.

What I mean is how autonomous will our squadmates be? Will they make their own decisions without needing the player to handhold, such as continuing to clear a room without player input, converging to the area where there is contact being made from enemies, and basic things that marines have been trained for?

2. Animation Depth

Pretty self explanatory, how in depth will AI animation be? Flinching, natural movements, dynamic stances like peeking around corners, things you'd see someone do in reality. Not expecting the animation to be on the same bar as say, Red Dead Redemption 2 with its thousands of animations, but I'm hoping for some pages to be taken out of that book a little bit.
Just some things to set in even more immersion and adding some humanity to the AI, so it's easier to connect with our team.

3. Voice Acting/Writing/Dialogue

I know the VA's will do a phenomenal job just by hearing their work all the way back when the gameplay trailer was released, but how much variety will there be? Personally wouldn't be enjoyable to hear say, only 5 voice lines for a character when the game has so much replay value.
Was thinking it'd be very enjoyable hearing the team talk to each other in moments of downtime when walking around in the streets or after clearing a house. An example being Swat 4 and the other AI officers quips adding character!

That's pretty much all I've got!

And thank you Amper for being so active in the forums for us starving folk. Sending lots of love to the team. Hoping for some big news soon!
Kean_1

Re: Squadmate Questions!

If I'm not mistaken, the next SITREP is supposed to address more details regarding the AI so there's that.
Azariel

Kean_1 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:17 pm If I'm not mistaken, the next SITREP is supposed to address more details regarding the AI so there's that.
Sweet! Extra excited for it now
Enthusiast

Was gonna make a thread talking about this but you pretty much did it better than I ever could.
Kean_1

Azariel wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:25 pm
Kean_1 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:17 pm If I'm not mistaken, the next SITREP is supposed to address more details regarding the AI so there's that.
Sweet! Extra excited for it now
....not sure ow far it will dive into the AI but this is a post from Amper I found taking about the next SITREP last month:
AmperCamper wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:53 am Hey guys,

Jumping in to confirm that we're aiming for our next SITREP to discuss fireteam roles, tactics, and obstacles. To be as transparent as possible, we won't have this prepared as soon as you'd all like. But, we plan to have more than 23 seconds of video this time around.

I'll keep you all posted!
I have a lot of curiosity about the depth of AI commands, their behavior, etc. as well. .....among other aspects.
Enthusiast

AI is definitely something that I feel like should be top tier in this game think about it if one of your marines is just standing there not doing anything unless commanded to or if an insurgent is just aimlessly walking around it completely breaks the immersion but,thankfully I don't feel like it will be that bad the folks over at Vitcura and highware are doing a really good job and there's clearly soul behind this project something that i wish I could say for a lot of other games.I would go into more depth with AI but I already have a post regarding that next one is probably gonna be around weapons.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

This is correct, but I'll answer what I can for now:

AI teammates will be able to operate autonomously under normal conditions, but you’ll want to assign them orders periodically when faced with challenges that require clever tactics. It’s difficult to quantify how "human” the AI will be, but please know we have a fairly robust animation team and aggressive AI systems in place to address this. As for voice lines, our VO script is fairly long.
Enthusiast

That's good to hear having the AI operate autonomously under less intense circumstances sounds good and having to issue orders more frequently during more challenging circumstances sounds about right.
Azariel

Absolutely fantastic stuff, awesome you folks got to be part of the London War Museum exhibition too.
That SITREP can't come soon enough