M240G Ammunition belt

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Enthusiast

M240G Ammunition belt

Similar to the 9mm spotting rifle on the SMAW I don't recall seeing this in any other game before so including it in this would fit the games style,so during the battle of fallujah fire superiority was essential in outcome of a firefight and served as a way for marines to flank move from cover to cover and none did this better than the M240 and M249 but if you couldn't tell by the title I'm gonna talk about the M240 specifically the way its fed ammo.

Now from a lot of the footage I've seen not just from fallujah but from the war on terror in genral the M240 always seems to be fed through an ammunition belt rather than box fed,why this is I don't know but what I do know is that not just the M240 but other machine guns seem to have thier ammunition belt be held up by another soldier when mounted with a bipod on a surface or even unmounted,and this seems to be done to avoid jamming failures so the way I could see this implemented into the game is if your firing the M240G and the weapon keeps jamming you could use command one of your marines to hold up the ammo belt solving the problem.

I guess this also begs the question if weapons in the game will also jamm at random intervals or the rifle is unkempt so I'm also wondering if there will be a way to maintain the weapons during the downtime instead of it just happening randomly but besides all of that I'm curious to see how they'll handle something like this in the game though I doubt we'll have the ability to command one of your marines to hold up the ammo belt but like I said in my post regarding neck gaiters and desert goggles it's pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, something like the M240 will probably be in the game along with the ammunition belt since this was a pretty common sight during the battle of fallujah curious to see what other weapons we'll see as well and the devs are likely we'll aware of this too so good luck to them.
Unknown0351

Re: M240G Ammunition belt

Enthusiast wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:37 pm fed through an ammunition belt rather than box fed,why this is I don't know
Our 240 gunners never had smaller ammo boxes/pouches I don’t know if our armory never issued them out, never received them, or the machine gunners never wanted them but they never had them. The SAW gunners had a choice of the 200 round plastic box or the 100 round heavy cloth-like pouch and all pretty much chose the 100 round because of less weight on the gun.
Enthusiast

Don't think I've ever seen an M240 fed through a box or ammo pouch always through an ammunition belt my guess is that's its probably to reduce weight since the 240 is pretty hefty no need to make it any heavier.
Last edited by Enthusiast on Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kean_1

Enthusiast wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:01 am Don't think I've ever seen an M240 fed through a box or ammo pouch always through an ammunition belt my guess is that's its probably to reduce weight since the 240 is pretty heft no need to make it any heavier.
The weapon is belt fed whether that's through one of those mounted pouches you might see them using (50 rnds IIRC) or from an ammo box sitting next to the weapon for example.

As for getting assistance supporting the belt while it's feeding, I imagine that's simply in those situations where its needed to prevent any issues. Plenty of footage of soldiers firing while feeding direct from an ammo can next to the weapon (for example).

The 240 is a big, heavy weapon (~25 lbs) and crew served......supported by someone else who perhaps carries / replenishes ammo, helps change barrels, mitigates potential feeding problems, perhaps helps in spotting, etc. It's going to typically be fired from a firing position where the weapon is mounted / supported by a tripod or the bipod. I wouldn't imagine there would be too many instances of soldiers running around with one firing from the shoulder or hip but that's something that perhaps our Fallujah vets can answer. ....how they were typically implemented there.
Enthusiast

I had a fallujah vet comment on one of my threads regarding drugged up insurgents and he stated that the M240G was almost always mounted to provide overwatch and it did its job pretty efficiently but I can't imagine it performing the same when fired from the hip after all it fires 762×51mm which makes for some pretty hefty recoil so don't expect to be room clearing with the 240 save that for the SAW.
Last edited by Enthusiast on Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BadKarma

I read that even the SAW was a questionable choice for room clearing, it is an open bolt weapon system, which can induce jams, and the operator manning the SAW will not always go in first when entering a potentially hostile house, you can see it in the gameplay trailer, sometimes they'd switch to their M9s like we see in the Sound Design SITREP.
Last edited by BadKarma on Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enthusiast

Yeah...I'm not sure if weapon jams will occur in the game due to failure to maintain said weapon or if it will happen at random intervals but besides that I can't help but admit I'm a little bit biased when it comes to the SAW its a fan favorite of mine in games and hey it worked out pretty well for SSG David bellavia right?.
Last edited by Enthusiast on Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kean_1

Enthusiast wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:58 am I had a fallujah vet comment on one of threads regarding drugged up insurgents and he stated that the M240G was almost always mounted to provide overwatch and it did its job pretty efficiently but I can't imagine it performing the same when fired from the hip after all it fires 762×51mm which makes for some pretty hefty recoil so don't expect to be room clearing with the 240 save that for the SAW.
Surprisingly, I've seen more than one video where shooters were messing around firing from the shoulder and / or hip were taken aback by the lack of recoil they were expecting. .....all other factors aside of course.
BadKarma wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:03 pm I read that even the SAW was a questionable firearm for room clearing, it is an open bolt weapon system, which can induce jams, and the operator manning the SAW will not always go in first when entering a potentially hostile house, you can see it in the gameplay trailer, sometimes they'd switch to their M9s like we see in the Sound Design SITREP.
I've heard a lot of mixed opinions / feedback on the M249's reliability while the M240 seems to get a lot more praise in that regard.
Enthusiast

I'll probably make a whole thread talking about this but I'm very curious to see how certain guns will work in this game more specifically the SAW and others that have not been confirmed but will likely be in the game and yes there is a lot of mixed feedback on the SAWs part personally I'm wondering what attachments it could get the variant shown in game is the paratrooper version a more compact version of the SAW more optimal for CQC there were even cases where the stock was removed all together that and it seems that the most common optic was the C79 sight,but it seems like it was most commonly paired without optics.