Next Gen Features.

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
BadKarma

Next Gen Features.

Hope SDIF will not be another case similar to Insurgency Sandstorm, where the PS5 and Series X versions were directly ported from the last gen versions, resulting in a poor implementation of next gen features.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: Next Gen Features.

Six Days is being developed with next-generation technology at the forefront. We also understand that not everyone has access to the latest gen-hardware, and so we'll be supporting the previous generation too.

Our approach is pushing the latest hardware capabilities and scaling back visual features on lower-end hardware (rather than trying to scale up from the lower-end side) One of the reasons we’re able to to do this is because the next-generation hardware was introduced early enough in our development cycle to make a difference.
BadKarma

Thanks for the heads up, Amper. I'll be buying SDIF for both my Series X and PC, it's good that last gen will be given some love.
Fallujah1019

AmperCamper wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:35 am Six Days is being developed with next-generation technology at the forefront. We also understand that not everyone has access to the latest gen-hardware, and so we'll be supporting the previous generation too.

Our approach is pushing the latest hardware capabilities and scaling back visual features on lower-end hardware (rather than trying to scale up from the lower-end side) One of the reasons we’re able to to do this is because the next-generation hardware was introduced early enough in our development cycle to make a difference.
My friends have a PS4 but I have a PS5. Does this mean I will have to download the PS4 version onto my PS5 to play with them?
Kean_1

AmperCamper wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:35 am Our approach is pushing the latest hardware capabilities and scaling back visual features on lower-end hardware (rather than trying to scale up from the lower-end side) One of the reasons we’re able to to do this is because the next-generation hardware was introduced early enough in our development cycle to make a difference.
Does your plan to take advantage of the latest hardware include PS5's DualSense features? ....haptic feedback and adaptive triggers?

Hell Let Loose is one of the first titles I've played that makes good use of the new PS features and although not the same genre of game, so does GT7.

In HLL you can actually feel the weight of the trigger through resistance ad then finally the break. Recoil, explosions, the rumble of a tank, etc. .....it all makes it so much more immersive with the new DS controller when done right.

I hope you folks are planning to do something similar as I think the new PS hardware can really help bring that level of immersion even higher for this game.
BadKarma wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:40 am Hope SDIF will not be another case similar to Insurgency Sandstorm, where the PS5 and Series X versions were directly ported from the last gen versions, resulting in a poor implementation of next gen features.
It's merely playable on next-gen through backward compatibility unfortunately. NWI never had the intention of developing the game for next gen but then again, they had been struggling for years just to get it released on console.

There were many delays over the years and a period where they started working with Black Tower Studios for the port before they brought it back in-house. ....and the acquisition of their studio by the Embracer Group. I guess they're lucky it even made it to release.

Not many realize that a campaign had also been in development initially until it was abandoned.
Last edited by Kean_1 on Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staropal0972

Fallujah1019 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:46 pm
AmperCamper wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:35 am Six Days is being developed with next-generation technology at the forefront. We also understand that not everyone has access to the latest gen-hardware, and so we'll be supporting the previous generation too.

My friends have a PS4 but I have a PS5. Does this mean I will have to download the PS4 version onto my PS5 to play with them?
Crossplay isn't out of the question. They have said they want to bring it over, so no, most likely not.
Kean_1

staropal0972 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:01 pm
Crossplay isn't out of the question. They have said they want to bring it over, so no, most likely not.
....are you sure that's what they meant though?

I can't think of any PS5 versions of games that I can play with PS4 friends. Games I play require that I install and run the PS4 version of the game like BF2042, GTAV, Gran Turismo 7, etc. I can't use my PS5 version of those games and play with friends who are playing their PS4 copies.

Now, it may be that those PS4 versions have PS5 enhancements through Sony's "Game Boost" features (should devs choose to take advantage of it), but the software is still a PS4 version of the game.

Just asking because I haven't run across a game where its possible to use a "made for PS5" copy of a game and play with PS4 friends on their PS4 version.
staropal0972

Kean_1 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:28 pm
staropal0972 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:01 pm
....are you sure that's what they meant though?

I can't think of any PS5 versions of games that I can play with PS4 friends. Games I play require that I install and run the PS4 version of the game like BF2042, GTAV, Gran Turismo 7, etc. I can't use my PS5 version of those games and play with friends who are playing their PS4 copies.

Now, it may be that those PS4 versions have PS5 enhancements through Sony's "Game Boost" features (should devs choose to take advantage of it), but the software is still a PS4 version of the game.

Just asking because I haven't run across a game where its possible to use a "made for PS5" copy of a game and play with PS4 friends on their PS4 version.
Not entirely sure, but Amper said a year ago that the team has put crossplay and cross platform support on high priority.
Kean_1

staropal0972 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:33 pm Not entirely sure, but Amper said a year ago that the team has put crossplay and cross platform support on high priority.

Yeah, that's the problem. Cross-play (or cross-platform) usually means (IME) people with different platforms can play together like XB with PS and / or PC. Then again, some games only allow console to play tgther and not PC, etc.

Cross-gen usually means something like PS5 with PS4 but that term is used to describe games which still require players to be on the same version of the software if they wtn to play together. I can't load up my PS5 version of the game and join them on the PS4 version for example.

Unfortunately, there isn't necessarily a clear definition on these terms in the industry so you have to go by the particular developer's explanation of just what they mean for their title.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Kean_1 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:58 pm Does your plan to take advantage of the latest hardware include PS5's DualSense features? ....haptic feedback and adaptive triggers?

Hell Let Loose is one of the first titles I've played that makes good use of the new PS features and although not the same genre of game, so does GT7.

In HLL you can actually feel the weight of the trigger through resistance ad then finally the break. Recoil, explosions, the rumble of a tank, etc. .....it all makes it so much more immersive with the new DS controller when done right.

I hope you folks are planning to do something similar as I think the new PS hardware can really help bring that level of immersion even higher for this game.
A few of these features have been suggested here on the forums before, and we're definitely keeping them in mind. We see the value of these enhanced gameplay features, and so please keep more examples of these done well coming if you see them!
staropal0972 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:01 pm Crossplay isn't out of the question. They have said they want to bring it over, so no, most likely not.
Cross-play is high on our priority list, and our goal is to allow the community to play cooperatively with their friends regardless of platform. Defining this in more detail is something we'll pick up later. For now, we appreciate the references on cross-play and cross-gen, and I'll pass these to the team.