Voice Line Recordings

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Stickfigure21

Voice Line Recordings

Found this interesting. I always thought the voice lines of the Germans in Battlefield 1 always sounded super legit and believable. Really immersed me into the game. Turns out, this is why:

Turn on (CC), but it’s a very interesting vid. I think SDIF should do the same thing.

On another note, the voice actors should use military lingo and acronyms without explaining it to the player. I hate games like Call of Duty WWII that has to explain to you what an acronym or military term is.

What do y’all think? I feel like it would add another level of realism to the game.

-Steve
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: Voice Line Recordings

This is super cool! I hadn't seen this before, but this is a great suggestion and reference for our team.

As always, thank you Stick!
aggimajera

Stickfigure21 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:12 pm
On another note, the voice actors should use military lingo and acronyms without explaining it to the player. I hate games like Call of Duty WWII that has to explain to you what an acronym or military term is.

What do y’all think? I feel like it would add another level of realism to the game.

-Steve
To be perfectly frank, having dudes not delivering Marine lingo would be a huge bummer.
Sorts of communications I hope get proper attention, in no particular order.

1.) Radio etiquette.
2.) Cursing. Lots and lots of cursing.
3.) Dudes exclaiming common infantry phrases like "Get me a fucking ADDRAC!", "Dead check that bitch.", "Light him the fuck up!" or "Support up!"
4.) Casually and mockingly saying things like "Yut.", "Semper", "You fucking boot." or "Aye, Lance Corporal."
5.) Nicknames. Hopefully not every dude is referred to by his last name,
6.) Jokes. We need jokes and insults being thrown around in moments of relative calm.
7.) That one dude in the background always fucking rapping.
8.) Constantly shitting on the Marine Corps. Bitch about your gear, bitch about chow, makes jokes about your EAS date, exclaim you should have gone admin, realize your recruiter lied about Bangkok ect ect.

Those really will amp up the authenticity.
staropal0972

aggimajera wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:22 pm

-Steve
To be perfectly frank, having dudes not delivering Marine lingo would be a huge bummer.

1.) Radio etiquette.
3.) Dudes exclaiming common infantry phrases like "Get me a fucking ADDRAC!", "Dead check that bitch.", "Light him the fuck up!" or "Support up!"
4.) Casually and mockingly saying things like "Yut.", "Semper", "You fucking boot." or "Aye, Lance Corporal."
6.) Jokes. We need jokes and insults being thrown around in moments of relative calm.
8.) Constantly shitting on the Marine Corps. Bitch about your gear, bitch about chow, makes jokes about your EAS date, exclaim you should have gone admin, realize your recruiter lied about Bangkok ect ect.

Especially for those who served it would absolutely service the player to be able to relate with the guys you play as in game. Makes them feel like you are one of them (when in a way you actually are). I see a lot of these qualities being practiced in books and films but rarely ever in games.

Need to remember also that not only should the player and his squadmates be humanized, but the enemy should also be humanized as well. Some banter between insurgents and them communicating in their own language (or the Chechens in Russian) would also greatly service the authenticity in SDIF. I remember last year there was something said about the insurgents being able to communicate in real time and coordinate tactics to counter you and your fireteam's employed tactics, whether they were entrenched in one place or patrolling a certain area of the city of Fallujah.

I also heard a Marine uttering "yut" in that gameplay trailer last year, I feel they are doing exactly what we are asking of them to do. I'm confident.
Stickfigure21

aggimajera wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:22 pm

-Steve

1.) Radio etiquette.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I hope this game is filled to the BRIM with black humor. Sure people are gonna find it distasteful. But fuck them, that’s how it is. You can ether make a realistic game or a game that’s politically correct, not both. Newsflash: War isn’t nice. Shocker.
Stickfigure21

On a side note: Amper, think we can get a glimpse at some of the behind the scenes stuff like that battlefield vid? It would be cool to see the process of stuff being made. Even if it’s just an into to some of the guys actually behind the game.

Just a though

-Steve
Stickfigure21

You know what, I’ve got an idea. Just take a bunch of Fallujah vets, put them in a room, give them a few six packs and wire the room up with mics. Then just put the dialogue in the game. 😜
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Thanks for diving deeper into voice lines and keeping suggestions rolling on this! I'll be sure to have the team take a look at these and see what we come up with.
Stickfigure21 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:08 pm On a side note: Amper, think we can get a glimpse at some of the behind the scenes stuff like that battlefield vid? It would be cool to see the process of stuff being made. Even if it’s just an into to some of the guys actually behind the game.

Just a though

-Steve
From my first day working on the game, I wanted this exact thing for SDIF. Covid sadly had other plans for studio work, but it's definitely something I'd like to do!
Stickfigure21 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:23 pm You know what, I’ve got an idea. Just take a bunch of Fallujah vets, put them in a room, give them a few six packs and wire the room up with mics. Then just put the dialogue in the game. 😜
Ha, I love this. :D
Stickfigure21

Going back to what Aggi said about music being In the game:

Marines singing in downtime 100% has to be in the game in some capacity or another. This was one of the most realistic elements of generation kill lol.

-Steve
Stickfigure21

Just another subject I wanted to mention in this thread, I feel like most games strive to get voice lines exactly perfect. In combat, shouting and trying to communicate is hardly perfect.

People stutter, their voice cracks, people cough, making the game sound real means making the characters sound real.

Their voices need to be filled with emotions. I want to be able to feel the panic and terror in the voice lines when getting shot at.

If you’ve got any input I’d love to hear what the community has to say on this. Would you rather have the classic “perfect” voice lines, or more realistic ones?

-Steve