Soldier reactions

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Fallujah1019

Soldier reactions

One thing that I’m kind of curious about is how the soldier you are playing as and the ones around you react to certain events. Like different pace in breathing to show emotion. Maybe a bomb were to go off nearby or a gunshot rings out. For example, in insurgency sandstorm the soldiers will curse or panic when something were to happen. Depending on the level of detail to help make the game feel more immersive can really make a big impact.
Kean_1

Re: Soldier reactions

.....but on the other hand, dialogue needs to be random and diverse enough not to sound predictable or repetitive like Insurgency. IMO / IME, that can have an opposite effect on immersion.
Raven

This can only be achieved with MANNNY, MAAANY different variations. Also a potential for further updates
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Kean_1 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:45 am .....but on the other hand, dialogue needs to be random and diverse enough not to sound predictable or repetitive like Insurgency. IMO / IME, that can have an opposite effect on immersion.
Exactly. Our NPCs do react to some events, but there's a complex series of reactions to do this really well. We'll keep this topic in mind because it's an interesting one, but it's hard to know how well this will work.
Kean_1

AmperCamper wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:08 am Exactly. Our NPCs do react to some events, but there's a complex series of reactions to do this really well. We'll keep this topic in mind because it's an interesting one, but it's hard to know how well this will work.
I am certainly keeping my expectations realistic in regard to some of these aspects of the game as I realize that there is simply no way that the team can devote the time and resources to aspects like this that aren't necessarily the main focus of the gameplay.

One game comes to mind that has one the most natural feeling dialogue exchanges among NPCs and that is RDR2. However, R* spent an immense of amount of time and (I'm sure) money to write over 500k lines of unique scripts voiced by around 700 different actors IIRC. .....and even then you still get some repetition but it is really pretty amazing as I still comes across lines I've never heard before.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is a game like Ghost Recon Wildlands where some of the dialogue became sort of a joke among players like when one of the characters would exclaim "sh!tballs" or "over there by the stack of tires". It was repetitive to the point where it became comical. ....certainty not an organic feel nor immersive.

Personally, I think the "less is more" approach is better than NPCs who are too chatty and have a higher chance of repeating lines over and over again. .....or maybe most of the reactions / responses are kept more generic rather than specific as to not sound like unique lines are being repeated.

Anyhow, I have faith the team knows what they're doing and will deliver a solid product that will be intriguing, gritty, immersive, authentic and fun.