Sound design

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Stickfigure21

Sound design

One thing I don’t see many forum topics on is the sound design of the game. I’d like to think the maps of the game will feel alive with activity. Having said that I’m going to immediately go off topic for a sec to mention one quick thing. From the clips that have been released it looks like a solo squad clearing the whole city, when in reality you had hundreds of soldiers taking part in any given operation. I hope that while in missions background AI can be seen going about their business even if they’re doing their own thing like pretending to clear buildings too.

Now back to what I was talking about, sound design.

One thing that will make or break this game is the sound. Does it sound real. Do the designers know what a bullet sounds like when it whizzes past you. Do they know what it sounds like when you’re getting shot at by a sniper and you have no fucking idea where the guy is. What bullets sound like when they ricochet down a street, and how the echos of the tall buildings refract the sound.

Another interesting thing would be being able to tell if gunshots are close or far away. Distance estimation while being shot at. Are the dudes down a street or around the next corner. And I’m not just talking about the volume of the shot, I mean the actual sound of the crack as the bullet breaks the sound barrier vs. the sound of the weapon discharging. It would be cool to see this game use something different than just the regular gunshots you hear in regular video games.

I’m interested in hearing what other people think, please, add your 2¢‘s.

-Steve
aggimajera

Re: Sound design

1.) The visual of far off figures going about their business is a fantastic idea, and a necessary one. Seeing other squads or units conducting ops apart from you would help this feel like military operation that you’re just a part of. I hope that goes even farther, where some of these happenings you see in the distance become your problem when you’re called as QRF, or as a supporting effort of some sort.

2.) They did mention in the past that reverb from interior gunshots would be a thing. Sound design has been something of a major focus they’ve alluded to previously. Hopefully they do go that extra mile to make it as authentic as possible.
Unknown0351

They really do need to get the sound of the crack of the bullet as it passes by correct not many games or movie get this right.
USMCVET187

Based on my gameplay, sandstorm and operation flashpoint are the only games on console I have seen get this right.
Kean_1

USMCVET187 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:23 pm Based on my gameplay, sandstorm and operation flashpoint are the only games on console I have seen get this right.
Off the top of my head, DayZ does a pretty good job with sounds in this regard. ......especially the report of weapons from a distance.
Stickfigure21

I’m sure there’s plenty of people, some on this forum, that know exactly what it sounds like to be shot at. As far as the ambiance of Fallujah I posted this video a while back but I’ll link it here too.

THIS is what the game needs to sound like when you’re not in combat:

The sound of distant fighting, but not too far off, combined with an eerie almost stillness.

Maybe even the occasional insurgent voice line hollering out when you’re in an area with enemy activity. You don’t see them yet, but you can hear them, and you know their watching for you.

-Steve
Stickfigure21

Just another quick thought on weapons sound. I’m sure anyone who was over there can tell you that AK fire sounds VERY different than any 5.56 rifle or machine gun.

It would be cool to be able to delineate weather or not the shots you’re hearing is friendly or enemy.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

This thread is perfect because we were just discussing audio within the team as we released the last SITREP. Our initial plan was to include much more on audio, but only a small reference made it into the last diary. We decided it was better to dedicate a fully-fledged SITREP to audio down the road, but we can jump into some of these discussions sooner.
Stickfigure21 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:45 pm One thing that will make or break this game is the sound. Does it sound real. Do the designers know what a bullet sounds like when it whizzes past you. Do they know what it sounds like when you’re getting shot at by a sniper and you have no fucking idea where the guy is. What bullets sound like when they ricochet down a street, and how the echos of the tall buildings refract the sound.
We couldn't agree more. The short answer is yes, and the long answer is based in our reference material. We have two primary sources for every weapon in the game: documentary footage and high fidelity recordings. The first helps contextualize in each weapon: how each sounds at various engagement distances, how each sounds in different environments in Fallujah, and finally how each mixes with all the other sounds during the battle. It's important to remember that recordings during this period were usually taken on older camcorders that weren't designed for capturing audio, and this is where our second sources come into play. We've sourced authentic weapon sounds using the proper equipment to do so. The last step is comparing the two and making adjustments.
aggimajera wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:09 pm 2.) They did mention in the past that reverb from interior gunshots would be a thing. Sound design has been something of a major focus they’ve alluded to previously. Hopefully they do go that extra mile to make it as authentic as possible.
This is correct, and the takeaway from this thread is that audio is absolutely a priority on our project. Feel free to leave more suggestions here as I pass this to the audio design team.
Stickfigure21 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:45 pm One thing I don’t see many forum topics on is the sound design of the game. I’d like to think the maps of the game will feel alive with activity. Having said that I’m going to immediately go off topic for a sec to mention one quick thing. From the clips that have been released it looks like a solo squad clearing the whole city, when in reality you had hundreds of soldiers taking part in any given operation. I hope that while in missions background AI can be seen going about their business even if they’re doing their own thing like pretending to clear buildings too.
Yes, you will encounter friendly AI and other activity as you progress through Fallujah. Our area of operation is roughly 1-2 city blocks, and you most definitely won't be the only unit down on the ground.
Stickfigure21

Good to hear Amper. Tell the team to keep that work up, getting hyped for this game more and more 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻