Just a Thought

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
TacticalJunkie

Just a Thought

This isn't a suggestion, I just wondered what was the dev's opinion on this and others. I still think for a game or even documentary to portray war as it really is. You need to portray both sides, you need to see what the enemy had to go through, what the enemy's opinions are and their motivations (flaws and everything in between) Obviously this can't happen in this game because of how controversial it could be and its already controversial enough haha.

This is what I think basically:

If it doesn't humanize the enemy it isn't truly showing how war is like to the fullest extent. The advantage we have because we are in the future is that we can look at what happened in the past and the result of it and get a better understanding on what happened and how it effected the conflict, because of the information at our disposal. If you want to see what war is like and perhaps see our or another countries mistakes. I think even if you don't portray the enemy (like most games do) as long as you portray the civilian viewpoint and have something similar to CODWAW death sounds and animations you can efficiently do that. If you wanted to portray what War is and get the whole entire picture, its contradictions, its irony, its everything. You have to humanize the enemy.

This is my opinion:

Personally, I would have no problem with the idea as playing as the insurgents, and being forced to fight Marines,
I have no problem with the idea as playing as the Nazis even if I'm forced to take part in what they are doing,
I wouldn't have any problem with the idea as playing as the Japanese fighting Marines in the Pacific,
and I wouldn't have any problem playing as the NVA or Vietcong or even being forced to take part in an Atrocity like My Lai.

If you show both viewpoints of the conflict and you do it well. You can get a valuable perspective of the conflict and war in general. What is wrong is wrong, and as long as the person knows right from wrong which most war documentaries assume to begin with, playing it aware that you are going to do this, as long as the you agree to it, then I think you should play as the enemy since it is valuable to understand the war as a whole. Regardless if it makes you uncomfortable.

even though I know people personally who have been in this conflict and effected by it. (Vietnam, Korea, War on terror) I still wouldn't be upset if I had to play as an enemy and kill people who are from the same place as me, because I find how controversial that is less important then the value of understanding war as a whole.

Obviously I know why this isn't even remotely plausible for this game. Its controversial enough haha! I also still think this game will still be beneficial to understanding war. Regardless that it doesn't have this

In conclusion

The closest we will probably get to this is insurgent AI being believable and dying in brutal and graphic ways as well as responding to that with painful moans and screams or tears. To portray them as still human and not just monsters thus allowing us to look at ourselves critically and violence as a whole.
I have a question for the dev team and anyone reading this really. What is your opinion on being allowed play as the enemy? In a game that is trying to portray war and not glorify it, or have a romantic viewpoint about war.

Thanks,
Cheers,
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: Just a Thought

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this. Since we've announced Six Days, a few people have let us know they feel the same way.

The documentary portions of Six Days will provide some context for the other side of this conflict that you're looking for. This, combined with our Iraqi civilian mission, offers unique perspectives to the table. As far as gameplay goes, encouraging players to play as insurgents is not something we want to do.

Regardless, we're confident you guys will find Six Days to be a heavy experience with moments of discomfort, hesitation, fear, and loss.