Environmental destructibility

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Alpha Patrol

Environmental destructibility

I seem to remember that environmental destructibility was a feature of the game in its original form. As I understand it, the devs previously made their own engine for the game because existing engines were inadequate for their needs at the time.
I see from another forum post that a modified version of Unreal Engine 4 is now being used for development. I'm hoping that with newer technology there is scope for this inclusion, to further aid overall immersion.
Is there any news about destruction still being a feature of the game?
Don't Panic

Re: Environmental destructibility

Alpha Patrol wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:28 pm I seem to remember that environmental destructibility was a feature of the game in its original form. As I understand it, the devs previously made their own engine for the game because existing engines were inadequate for their needs at the time.
I see from another forum post that a modified version of Unreal Engine 4 is now being used for development. I'm hoping that with newer technology there is scope for this inclusion, to further aid overall immersion.
Is there any news about destruction still being a feature of the game?

I too was wondering about this. I remember watching the alpha footage in the GVMERS documentary on youtube and saying how cool it was to have such an in depth destructive environment 11 or so years ago.
Alpha Patrol

Don't Panic wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:19 pm I too was wondering about this. I remember watching the alpha footage in the GVMERS documentary on youtube and saying how cool it was to have such an in depth destructive environment 11 or so years ago.
The GVMERS documentary gave a great insight into what was intended to be achieved at the time.

Emulating the kind of exaggerated destruction from the Battlefield series wouldn't quite fit this game, in my opinion. It would be cool to still see destruction for glass and smaller objects, as well as bullet markings on walls and surfaces.

Perhaps something similar to the deformation seen in Insurgency: Sandstorm would suit this game better. For example, you could target and shoot an enemy through a wooden structure or thin wall. Players could make tactical choices, taking into account different material types, density and weapon impact.
jeduardosg1

well, since they use a modify version of the Unreal engine 4, i think there'll be destructibility to some degree
AmperCamper
Community Manager

The game features minor environmental destruction this time around. It's not the kind of full-scale destruction created for the 2009 game.
Don't Panic

AmperCamper wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:29 am The game features minor environmental destruction this time around. It's not the kind of full-scale destruction created for the 2009 game.
Thanks for clarifying. Was wondering how that was going to be.
Tan_47

It would be neat to see some examples of the environmental destruction that can be done in the game. I understand it's not the level of the original iteration, but some video footage would suffice just to see what can be done.
Don't Panic

Tan_47 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:46 pm It would be neat to see some examples of the environmental destruction that can be done in the game. I understand it's not the level of the original iteration, but some video footage would suffice just to see what can be done.
I think in time, during more gameplay reveals, that we will see it's capabilities. Maybe even just a gif of how it works would be cool.
Tan_47

Don't Panic wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:20 pm
Tan_47 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:46 pm It would be neat to see some examples of the environmental destruction that can be done in the game. I understand it's not the level of the original iteration, but some video footage would suffice just to see what can be done.
I think in time, during more gameplay reveals, that we will see it's capabilities. Maybe even just a gif of how it works would be cool.
Yeah, I was thinking about just presenting a small video to showcase the environmental destruction.
Don't Panic

Tan_47 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:48 pm
Don't Panic wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:20 pm
Yeah, I was thinking about just presenting a small video to showcase the environmental destruction.
Agreed, I would like that. I will take whatever I get though so long as it's a good demonstration of how it works.