PTSD

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
NotTodayWillJ

PTSD

Will it be a factor, because I'm pretty sure if you see anyone die in anyway, you have that chance of getting PTS from it (possibly developing on your character the more you do over the campaign)?
If this is in the game in any form (interview videos, possible implementation into gameplay) please could you tell me?
Kean_1

Re: PTSD

I have to question whether this is an aspect the game really needs to delve into. Beyond any cinematic / story driven parts of the campaign I mean. How do you propose that should translate into the gameplay?

Personally, I wouldn't care to have something like that affecting gameplay mechanics. At the end of the day, SDiF is going to be a hardcore, CQC tactical shooter. You still have to have a game that's fun and sure, perhaps even present the player with hard, sometimes emotional decisions. ....but at the end of the day, it's still going to be hardcore shooter and that's what most will be playing it for.

That's not to say I'm against stress related mechanics and such in games like this but I would prefer to see those aspects represented in traditional ways like suppression, stamina and such.

In either case, that doesn't mean the game still can't be impactful to players in that way. .....but just as in real life, not everyone handles or deals with this kind of thing the same way. I think different gamers will have different things they take away from SDiF when all is said and done. For some it may not be as deep but for others, perhaps they will have a more emotional connection.

I think presenting the scenario(s) to players and letting them decide how they react in-game is the best approach. ......but that's just my personal opinion.
staropal0972

Kean_1 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:35 pm I have to question whether this is an aspect the game really needs to delve into. Beyond any cinematic / story driven parts of the campaign I mean. How do you propose that should translate into the gameplay?

Personally, I wouldn't care to have something like that affecting gameplay mechanics. At the end of the day, SDiF is going to be a hardcore, CQC tactical shooter. You still have to have a game that's fun and sure, perhaps even present the player with hard, sometimes emotional decisions. ....but at the end of the day, it's still going to be hardcore shooter and that's what most will be playing it for.

That's not to say I'm against stress related mechanics and such in games like this but I would prefer to see those aspects represented in traditional ways like suppression, stamina and such.

In either case, that doesn't mean the game still can't be impactful to players in that way. .....but just as in real life, not everyone handles or deals with this kind of thing the same way. I think different gamers will have different things they take away from SDiF when all is said and done. For some it may not be as deep but for others, perhaps they will have a more emotional connection.

I think presenting the scenario(s) to players and letting them decide how they react in-game is the best approach. ......but that's just my personal opinion.
I have to be with Kean here. Everyone will see things differently in a different set of lenses/eyes. Likewise, "truth" is often subjective. I believe SDIF is aiming to be as representative as possible, so everyone is able to relate to the people who were there, in order to make the player feel like they were there. Empathy is a powerful tool after all.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Our hope is to stimulate empathy both through personal stories told during the interviews and the player’s own experiences trying to solve the challenges described during the interviews. The participants do discuss the lasting effects of their experiences during the interviews, as well, but we don’t think we’re qualified to dive super deeply into the medical effects of these experiences.
Immune

AmperCamper wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:40 am Our hope is to stimulate empathy both through personal stories told during the interviews and the player’s own experiences trying to solve the challenges described during the interviews. The participants do discuss the lasting effects of their experiences during the interviews, as well, but we don’t think we’re qualified to dive super deeply into the medical effects of these experiences.
For what it is worth, not only what you said but PTSD is extremely personal and manifests itself in almost limitless different ways to each person affected. What happens to one person does not happen to another. For example, my PTSD impacts my sleep. I have multiple nightmares every night. Matter of fact, I have not slept more than 3 hours straight since I came home except for the short period of time I was heavily medicated and playing guinea pig for VA mental health.

There would be no true way to implement. Further, PTSD in most cases does not present itself until after a person's deployment, once we have time to start decompressing. Granted it can happen immediately, but in my experience, most begin onset post-deployment. Finally, it would only serve as a distraction from the intent of SDiF, which is focused on combat. There are definitely emotional effects that are better served if constrained to those occurring actually in combat (i.e., fear, anxiety, anger, sadness). But modeling depression would be infinitely complicated to model effectively.
BobTank63

In regards to PTSD in gaming, the only game I've seen it done well is Spec Ops: The Line. The devs of that game understood that the player had to experience a traumatic event through the player character in order to get the proper feel. They had to understand why the experience would be traumatic by playing through it, and that the player character couldn't already be experiencing it. Then, the devs built the story around the player characters increasing mental trauma and his attempts to justify his actions. And in the finale, we get to see the effects play out.

SDIF is taking their levels from real-life experiences over a six-day period. Since they use real-life stories and are only focusing on a short period of time, designing the game to accurately depict PTSD would be difficult as they wouldn't have that same level of freedom of control over how the narrative plays out.

BTW, I highly recommend Spec Ops to anyone reading this. And I recommend going in blind.
MONSTER6298

hello
my name is MONSTER. I was never able to serve in the armed forces do to a disability. however. i support all of you and hope to see everyone of you having good days. if you need to talk please feel free to reach out to me . i will never be able to give input i will be able to listen. and be entirely appreciative of the sacrifices you have made. please feel free to reach out i have a discord and a stream if you want them and ill talk to anyone. remember guys you are appreciated.