can insurgents surrender?

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Oxide

can insurgents surrender?

if for an example you catch an insurgent off guard or you just killed all his buddies will an insurgent possibly throw down their weapons or is there a dedicated button to call for an insurgent to surrender kinda like close combat first to fight
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: can insurgents surrender?

Thanks for asking this. Insurgents can (and will) surrender. We haven’t yet decided whether players can call for them to surrender.
TacticalJunkie

So your telling me, there is a possibility to accidentally or purposely shoot surrendering Insurgents. Will we get punished for doing that? Even though if there is no witnesses, I mean sometimes it happens and it doesn't get reported because of the hush hush with squads and the influence of not betraying one another?
AmperCamper
Community Manager

TacticalJunkie wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:37 am So your telling me, there is a possibility to accidentally or purposely shoot surrendering Insurgents. Will we get punished for doing that?
For your first question: yes, technically speaking. Tossing the second question to the rest of the forums: thoughts on punishing misfires? To clarify, I'm asking about insurgents specifically (as we've already shared that engaging a civilian is mission failure).
aggimajera

AmperCamper wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:20 am
TacticalJunkie wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:37 am So your telling me, there is a possibility to accidentally or purposely shoot surrendering Insurgents. Will we get punished for doing that?
For your first question: yes, technically speaking. Tossing the second question to the rest of the forums: thoughts on punishing misfires? To clarify, I'm asking about insurgents specifically (as we've already shared that engaging a civilian is mission failure).
If it was a genuine accident done in the heat of the moment I think it should be more or less forgiven, though you should face a consequence like the hampered aim or reload idea mentioned in the civilian forum. As StickFigure21 suggested in the civilian forum, a grace period could be Implemented in NPC’s to allow for mistakes. Anything outside of this grace period is murder.

Another idea: What if your squad mates and the insurgents acted as a sort of monitoring and consequence system?

Example: You encounter a surrendering insurgent with his hands raised. You choose to shoot him, no questions asked. These things could occur: Other insurgents in the area who were surrendering will resume fighting. Your squad mates will lose respect for you and not follow your directions as quickly, responding to your commands begrudgingly with profanity laden insults.

One thing though: is there a possibility we will encounter fake surrenders and potential suicide bombers in these situations? It would add serious tension to taking insurgents alive, due to the possibility of traps.
Kean_1

I thought I had posted a reply but I must have done something wrong as it seems to have been deleted rather than submitted.

On one hand, I wouldn't want the game to be so black & white as strict punishments (e.g. mission ending) leaves no room for players to experience apprehension, regret and failure. I'm not too keen on the whole "do over" idea to be honest. On the other hand, there needs to be some consequence for mistakes and/or recklessness.

I'm not sure if SDiF will include an XP-like progression system for unlocks or similar but perhaps that's the solution? Players are rewarded for successful actions like detaining surrendering enemies but mistakes are punished by perhaps taking some of that away? Maybe when too much is deducted for reckless actions the mission ends? Folks would still be allowed to screw up and yes, they still have to pay a price for that. That (or something similar) could be the incentive to play by the rules while not allowing unexpected mishaps to bring everything to a halt.

I also thought about the possibility of deception during surrendering actions. Will this be a mechanic in the game to add a level of tension and uncertainty?
BadKarma

I don't know, I don't really mind when enemies surrender, the news that got me a excited was when Amper said the maps would offer freedom and were the size of 1/2 city blocks, similar to Ghost Recon 2001 overall, and that's a very good thing.
Stickfigure21

There is a fine line between shooting in the heat of the moment and just all out murder.

Here’s the thing. I’m personally not in favor of a call of duty style “Don’t kill civilians” fade to black / restart screen. You don’t get that in real life, you shouldn’t get it in the game. In the game you need to roll with the mistakes you make, even if you’re going to have asshole players just going around shooting everything.

If you want to add discouragement to not engage civilian / surrendering AI, make it an audio cue from the team. Say you shot a civi / surrender, have an AI squad mate say something like “What the fuck???” Or some shit like that. This topic is difficult but it’s key to get it right.

-Steve
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Appreciate all the feedback on this! These conversations are exactly what helps consolidate what's most important to you guys. I passed this entire thread to the team.
aggimajera wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:10 am One thing though: is there a possibility we will encounter fake surrenders and potential suicide bombers in these situations? It would add serious tension to taking insurgents alive, due to the possibility of traps.
Kean_1 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:26 pm I also thought about the possibility of deception during surrendering actions. Will this be a mechanic in the game to add a level of tension and uncertainty?
I've taken special note of this suggestion, especially since it's been discussed more than once here. While we don't have a definitive response to this at the moment, we recognize it could have a place in Six Days.
Stickfigure21 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:22 pm There is a fine line between shooting in the heat of the moment and just all out murder.

Here’s the thing. I’m personally not in favor of a call of duty style “Don’t kill civilians” fade to black / restart screen. You don’t get that in real life, you shouldn’t get it in the game. In the game you need to roll with the mistakes you make, even if you’re going to have asshole players just going around shooting everything.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. Yes, there are going to be those who will take advantage of game mechanics and features regardless of what we do. With that being said, we are not promoting the shooting of civilians, plain and simple. There are many, many situations in which your decisions influence the rest of the mission (ie, how you enter a building, command your AI, etc), and we're confident you guys will find these impactful.