Insurgent Forces Makeup?

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
aggimajera

Insurgent Forces Makeup?

I have a question about the Insurgent forces who will be depicted in this game.

One of the leveled criticisms of this game is a blanket label of combating Arabs. Like all war, the reality on the ground was not so clear cut and provided no inlet for such a simple summary. While the Insurgents were predominantly Iraqi, it was reportedly a melting pot of nationalities spanning the globe. While the War in Iraq was initially an Iraqi affair, it quickly became a jihad that invited foreign fighters.

The main Insurgent force occupying Fallujah at the time was Al-Qaeda, led by Zarqawi. A majority of those fighters were of Arab decent, consisting mostly of Iraqi fighters. Reportedly many fighters came from Chechnya (who was at war with Russia) and even the Philippines (of whose extremists have been in insurgency for years). The Chechen extremists, in particular, are feared worldwide due to their extreme and vicious resilience against the Russians. They are noted for their effectiveness in combat and for their brutal psyops, particularly from their experience in the First and Second Chechen Wars and their own insurgency in Chechnya.

Will we see these different groups of fighters depicted in Six Days? I would imagine the player might feel confusion at hearing languages unlike Arabic emitted from fighters, and might serve to educate just how wide of an impact this war had already created in the world.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: Insurgent Forces Makeup?

Thanks for asking this. It’s clear that you guys, as well as others within the Six Days community, know far more about this battle than 90% of those who’ve criticized the game. The knowledge you describe is something we very much wish more people understood.

This being said, we haven’t yet announced which enemies players will encounter during the game.
BadKarma

The Chechens proved to be a force to be reckoned with, they were quite feared during the battle of Grozny years back, where despite having the advantage of armor superiority in urban warfare, managed to take out plenty of Russian IFVs.
staropal0972

If I'm not mistaken, Chcehen insurgents actually were going to make an appearance in the original 2009 iteration, in quite a few missions. With that being said, there should be more types of insurgents that weren't just al-Qaeda in Iraq in this version.
aggimajera

BadKarma wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:24 pm The Chechens proved to be a force to be reckoned with, they were quite feared during the battle of Grozny years back, where despite having the advantage of armor superiority in urban warfare, managed to take out plenty of Russian IFVs.
Exactly. Chechen fighters were experts by that point because of their extensive combat exposure. Grozny was a bad time to be in the Russian Army.
aggimajera

staropal0972 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:44 pm If I'm not mistaken, Chcehen insurgents actually were going to make an appearance in the original 2009 iteration, in quite a few missions. With that being said, there should be more types of insurgents that weren't just al-Qaeda in Iraq in this version.
Very true, and I remember the gameplay with them!

And without relegating real groups of men to different classes of enemy, seeing differing tactics or use of weapons in a way unlike the Iraqis would come as a major shock to the player. Imagine hearing an unfamiliar language, or even Russian spoken, and the insurgents engage with well coordinated squad tactics.

If I heard someone yell “Aw f***, Chechens!” in those conditions, it would create a whole new tension and reduce my belief in my life expectancy.