3rd Person and First person point of view

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Kean_1

Re: 3rd Person and First person point of view

Blade0351 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:23 pm Tom Clancy Rainbow Six Vegas 2 had one of the best systems in my opinion. You were first person unless you went into cover and then it switched to third. Haven't seen it done since then. I think it worked really well and I think that could be an interesting move here. Just my thoughts. Wouldn't be upset if it's only first person.
Rockstar did something similar with GTAV using a "First Person Third Person Cover" option that players can enable. I was a big fan of R6 games but mostly pre-Vegas. Siege is nothing like the original experience. Ubi also destroyed the Ghost Recon franchise.

As far as first person vs. third person, I see benefits in both as well as drawbacks. One of those "cons" for third person in a game like this happens to be that perspective while in cover for example. It provides an advantage of seeing things you simply couldn't in first person or in real life through peripheral vision.

On the other hand the biggest draw back with first person (for me) is that loss of peripheral vision. .....but this is where hit, audio and team indicators (among other features) can help in some games.

Let's face it..... You can only get so "immersive" in a game and short of going with VR (which has it's own limitations), there's only so much you can do.

Personally, I like both FPV and TPV games as well as hybrids like R6 Vegas 2. What makes the biggest difference IMO is their execution. If done right, they can all be fun even in games that are meant to be immersive and authentic experiences. Just look at hardcore FPS games like Team 17's Hell Let Loose.

In either case, it sounds like the SDiF team are committed to bringing a product to market that will deliver. I'm optimistic so far based on what we've heard.
BadKarma

Yeah, with a good implementation of "peripheral" game elements, first person can be a good choice, albeit third is also good in its own way, I'm curious to see how those features end up being in the game, which supposedly the most optimal way is to play without the HUD on.
Kridath

Kean_1 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:26 pm
Blade0351 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:23 pm Tom Clancy Rainbow Six Vegas 2 had one of the best systems in my opinion. You were first person unless you went into cover and then it switched to third. Haven't seen it done since then. I think it worked really well and I think that could be an interesting move here. Just my thoughts. Wouldn't be upset if it's only first person.
Rockstar did something similar with GTAV using a "First Person Third Person Cover" option that players can enable. I was a big fan of R6 games but mostly pre-Vegas. Siege is nothing like the original experience. Ubi also destroyed the Ghost Recon franchise.

As far as first person vs. third person, I see benefits in both as well as drawbacks. One of those "cons" for third person in a game like this happens to be that perspective while in cover for example. It provides an advantage of seeing things you simply couldn't in first person or in real life through peripheral vision.

On the other hand the biggest draw back with first person (for me) is that loss of peripheral vision. .....but this is where hit, audio and team indicators (among other features) can help in some games.

Let's face it..... You can only get so "immersive" in a game and short of going with VR (which has it's own limitations), there's only so much you can do.

Personally, I like both FPV and TPV games as well as hybrids like R6 Vegas 2. What makes the biggest difference IMO is their execution. If done right, they can all be fun even in games that are meant to be immersive and authentic experiences. Just look at hardcore FPS games like Team 17's Hell Let Loose.

In either case, it sounds like the SDiF team are committed to bringing a product to market that will deliver. I'm optimistic so far based on what we've heard.
I agree with you on the 1st person and 3rd person drawbacks, but I believe that with how immerse this game is trying to be its best that its first person only.

Amper, is there a plan to allow you to use "ctl" or have some sort of keybind that will allow players to look around without moving their body and their rifle?

Ivee see this feature in different games and it definitely helps with the immersive features because in real life you need to keep you "head on a swivel" and I feel most modern FPS's miss that you can look around without your character model looking that direction.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Kridath wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:22 pm Amper, is there a plan to allow you to use "ctl" or have some sort of keybind that will allow players to look around without moving their body and their rifle?

Ivee see this feature in different games and it definitely helps with the immersive features because in real life you need to keep you "head on a swivel" and I feel most modern FPS's miss that you can look around without your character model looking that direction.
I believe this has been suggested once before, but we don't have any plans for this. I'll revisit this with the team as a community suggestion.
Fallujah1019

I like SDIF in first person because as people have said, if you have a third-person angle then you can just look around a wall or door without actually moving to look and it takes away from the perspective of if you were in that situation. However, I get what everyone is saying.
OhioYankee

AmperCamper wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:03 pm I believe this has been suggested once before, but we don't have any plans for this. I'll revisit this with the team as a community suggestion.
Adding TrackIR support would be a good solution for this.
krzy

I'd like to add that in many (most?) of the tactical shooters I've played, third person camera acts really wonky indoors, "bumping" from walls, ceiling, objects. In a game so heavily-focused on CQB, making a good 3rd person cam is probably a huge undertaking on it's own, so I can understand why devs want to focus on other things. Although I'd love an ability to look around freely without changing the position of body/gun - it saved my virtual behind countless times throughout the years!
EddyG

For my friends and I, we feel very STRONGLY that this should have a Third Person option. We love the work you are doing, but we find 3rd person to be much more immersive. It is just our preference. This will be one of the rare exceptions they will make to play a first person tactical military game.

You give people the option, because this is one area were people have very strong differing opinions. You can force first person perspective in your lobby if that is what you prefer, but let the 3rd person guys play that way. This will make a significant difference on how this title will be received and I want it to be a massive success.

The only harm in providing an option is a little more work, you are not taking away the first person perspective.